2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
April 19th Atlantic bubble, maybe there's a chance we could get some inter-provincial U18 games to end the season,

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Yes, better game to watch. The rule that a player on the bench touches a player on the ice gets a game suspension is too harsh. When Campbell (knights) skates along the Wild bench and takes a poke at Rennie who was on the bench and the player beside him I think was Sentner pushes him back. The two players on bench get 1 game suspension and the integator gets a 10 min misconduct. Game went sideways in the third once their two better players on the team got ejected. But the refs were clearly having every call favoring the Knights, tough for the underdogs in this game. Nice to see a game with passion from players tough.
250 in attendence as well was also good to see.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Any news on things starting back up in Quebec and if the draft is still slated for June. I heard rumors it was being pushed into July but nothing official?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Yes, better game to watch. The rule that a player on the bench touches a player on the ice gets a game suspension is too harsh. When Campbell (knights) skates along the Wild bench and takes a poke at Rennie who was on the bench and the player beside him I think was Sentner pushes him back. The two players on bench get 1 game suspension and the integator gets a 10 min misconduct. Game went sideways in the third once their two better players on the team got ejected. But the refs were clearly having every call favoring the Knights, tough for the underdogs in this game. Nice to see a game with passion from players tough.
250 in attendence as well was also good to see.
Had to stop watching the PEI U18, not much hockey being played...both teams now approaching 400 PIMS in 10 games. This is on HPEI and their quest to have 1 top team each year while the other one takes it on the chin.

Last edited:

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Team city should be blowing out team Wild but they are not, they have many holes in their game. They are not the power house they were made out to be. Moncton, Freddy and St. John wouldn't have any problems with them if they went head to head in a series. IMO

Reactions: HKYEAST

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Halifax Mac's have all but locked up the NS u18 Reg season. Play-offs are just around the corner, I am anxious to see what role the 05's will play as then aim for a provincial championship. D-Man MacDonald has been playing much better of late, I see him as an impact player in the weeks ahead. Definitely an 04/03 powerhouse, hoping Welsch, Ledrew, Shortall ,etc have a good play off run.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Halifax 05 group is far weaker then the Halifax 04 group of a year ago. That said, I agree MacDonald has come a long way this year. I've haven't been a big fan in past years because, although he was a great skater he had average puck skills and average hockey sense but tried to do to much. He has simplified his game and I can see him going around the 4-6 rounds and eventually being a 4-6 Q level defenceman now.

Only other Halifax 05 player I see getting drafted this year is Shortall, he's got decent size, strength, and speed. His skills are above average and he's a real competitor. I can see him also going 4-6 and being a solid third line guy that plays late in games, kills penalties, and adds a little offence, down the road.

I personally would be willing to throw a late pick on Welsh also, he's so smart, but judging by his two older brothers he's never going to be big and strong so he would likely struggle at the Q. Thirteen or fourteen round gamble maybe? He will be a treat to watch next year in U18 though.

Ledrew and Reeves should have played U16 this year, but the league over the last ten years has gotten younger and younger allowing weaker and weaker kids in to play. Ledrew's skating is well below the league level, and he plays soft to boot, he's also terrible in his own end....not great attributes. He does have exceptional puck skills but what good is it if you're two seconds behind the game? Reeves is just a hot mess in his own end. To me he's got very little hockey sense, and makes poor decisions all game long. His skating is okay, especially his agility and lateral movement which is nice for a D, but I can see him topping out as a low end junior A high end junior B defenceman. Not the QMJHL

Reactions: HKYEAST

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Anything exciting happening in the NB league? Have not seen much of it since the re-start expect for 2 periods of St John vs Freddy, Pretty hard to tell from the standings and stats. Anyone checking out the 05's and their progression?

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Who are the Atlantic players to be drafted in the first two rounds? Last year there was 16 which is a big number.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Who are the Atlantic players to be drafted in the first two rounds? Last year there was 16 which is a big number.

MacKinnon, Pattersson, Gendron, Allen, Squires, Coughlin, B. Nadeau, Peddle, Burbidge, Mossey, Rotondi, Pelletier, J. Campbell, Collette, J. MacDonald, Topilnickyj, N. Ryan, L. McPhee, J. Todd, are the most likely candidates.

I have 14 atlantic players in my current top 36 for what it's worth.

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
MacKinnon, Pattersson, Gendron, Allen, Squires, Coughlin, B. Nadeau, Peddle, Burbidge, Mossey, Rotondi, Pelletier, J. Campbell, Collette, J. MacDonald, Topilnickyj, N. Ryan, L. McPhee, J. Todd, are the most likely candidates.

I have 14 atlantic players in my current top 36 for what it's worth.
Do you think your list would be as heavy with atlantic kids if quebec played ?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Yes. I'm actually still very high on the QC players overall, especially in terms of depth. But Maritmes have a lot of players worth picking in the top 3 rounds for me this year, and Quebec's high end isn't as good as other years.
I agree with Wintersun, Atlantic will do well again this year. You could say if QC was playing, they may even do better. We still have not seen these players play a full game of U18 hockey and their value could drop as easily as it could rise. The problem we have now, is QC is still trying to get an abbreviated season going. From my experience, 15 year olds take 15+games to get comfortable at the u18 level. QC will jam many games into a short period, injuries, fatigue, confidence, will all play a factor. It's going to be very difficult for the 05's to jump in and make an impression in such a sort season, leaving some very good players on the table as the draft moves along.

Reactions: QcJrhockeyfan

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
Yes. I'm actually still very high on the QC players overall, especially in terms of depth. But Maritmes have a lot of players worth picking in the top 3 rounds for me this year, and Quebec's high end isn't as good as other years.

Just my opinion but I think if quebec would have played the number would have been a little lower (closer 10-12 not a big difference). I think one of the big reason you will see more kids from out east go is not to many GM like taking a kid in the first round without seeing him and most kids in quebec won't make the jump until they play midget.

Terry Friars

Apr 1, 2021
I’ve got a sleeper pick for this years QMJHL Draft. 15 year old Cameron friars is absolutely lighting up New Brunswick midget central. 94 points in 23 games. He’s 6’6, and 257lbs. Absolute menace out there. He chose to play central because of the ridiculous costs associated with midget AAA hockey. I would be extremely surprised, if he doesn’t go first round.

maritimecoach007

Mar 28, 2021
Did he play major bantam in his second year in that age category?

I’ve got a sleeper pick for this years QMJHL Draft. 15 year old Cameron friars is absolutely lighting up New Brunswick midget central. 94 points in 23 games. He’s 6’6, and 257lbs. Absolute menace out there. He chose to play central because of the ridiculous costs associated with midget AAA hockey. I would be extremely surprised, if he doesn’t go first round.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Trolling BS! But I am sure he's a great kid.

Reactions: Letsgo14

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Unfortunately idiotic posts like this that pop up in these forums are why they have the reputation they do.... Over invested hockey Dads bragging about their kids!

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
My guess is this is a jealous player in the league, or possibly on the team. He registers as the kids father to embarrass the family. I agree there are fathers, family and likely girlfriends that come here to boast but this one checks out as more childish to me.

Reactions: dwgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad