2021 QMJHL Draft

Letsgo14

Dec 12, 2011
East coast
wasn’t much of a game impressed by campbell and bret arsenault for knights final was 8 or 9 to 1 maybe i’m bad luck but Thompson has been pulled every game i’ve watched so far Knights are far better than wild though
Must be a another parent signing up. Jude played a strong game 1g 3a arsenault had 0pts in a 9-1 game. Knights are a very good team to bad it is a crappy year for those kids would of had a real chance of winning the leaque. Wild are struggling..with injuries and suspensions it is not gonna get easier.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Scouts will not look at the G and A stats in a 9-1 game...but they will look at the 200 pim's. What is PEI doing...do they not know that Facebook is global.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Campbell is always on the score sheet but yet to see him handle/carry the puck in defense zone or neutral zone but finds the spots in offense shooting lanes to be affective. B. Arsenault had limited shifts and I find his skating ability to be slow and awkward. A couple of months of power skating would be a help for this young man to get where he wants to go. The game in general was poorly ref'd, especially when the Knights had a delayed penalty and scored and they counted the goal. Then stuff got out of hand after that and rightfully so, talk about the wind being sucked out of their sails. Game was over for a younger and struggling Wild team.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Public Health in NS just suspended game play in HRM for a 4 week period, practice only. Mooseheads will play tonight and then back to practice along with other HRM teams. New NSU18HL schedule likely being drafted for teams outside HRM.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Wintersun, what's your take on this month's prospects?

En Route vers le Repêchage LHJMQ | Février 2021 – LHJMQ

A few comments...

CSR is doing things a little differently this year. Last year they would re-list many of the top prospects month after month, Luneau, Verreault, Woodworth, Savoie appeared on multiple "Road to the Q" posts. This year, it's very regional with much more variety, which I like.

From the Maritimes, at least so far, a new player from each province is being highlighted, which is great.

Pelletier - He's an NB product, but playing at the Mount he is certainly more visible to the PEI CSR Rep. This kid dominated Peewee and he had a great first year bantam. He was faster, worked harder, had a better shot and was a physical presence...then the rest of the world grew and caught up. What's great about Pelletier, he adjusted, he took those skills and translated them into a complete 200 ft player. It's an amazing transformation for such a young player...but it will serve him well at the next level, skill , compete and hockey sense are a nice combination, with a strong finish to the season...he could position himself as a top 2 round pick.

Ryan - I have only seen this kid at 2 events in the past 2 seasons. Last year at the ice jam from what I seen, I would not have had him highly ranked for this years Q draft, but a lot can change in 12 months, let's hope he is progressing well in the U.S.

Gendron - A pure goal scorer who is big and strong. He should be a first round Q pick and will do well at the next level. Prob does not get enough credit for his 200' game, he is a great penality killer and rarely cheats to the offensive side of the puck. Like most scoring wingers..he needs a solid player in the middle to get him the puck...which will be no problem at the Q level and he could find his way to some impressive #'s.

Green - Malcolm has been quietly going about his business for years now ...he flew high on the radar in Peewee...fell off in Bantam and is now back playing his best hockey at the U18 level. No better time to shine then draft year. I like his game, he's big, smart and competes well. He makes players around him better which is maybe the best asset you can have. I can see Green going in the 3rd -4th round.

Would be great to get some feedback on the Quebec players, other then Ouellette, they have not been on my radar.
Good luck to all of them!

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Wintersun, what's your take on this month's prospects?

En Route vers le Repêchage LHJMQ | Février 2021 – LHJMQ

Will not speak on Conor Ryan as I have only watched him once on a low quality video.

To me, Gendron is a guy that goes top 10. He has size, skates well, has elite hands and can be both a playmaker and finisher. He is one of those elite complementary players that you want on your top line at the Q level. Consistency and physicality could be things he can improve.

Dumas-Larouche is a very solid two-way d with a nice frame, and good basic skills in all areas. He's a bit raw physically, but can move the puck, has a good shot, and is sound defensively. I'd rank him as a round 2 or 3 prospect.

St-Denis is a great two-way guy with a nice work ethic, always involved in the play, wins his battles, the details in his game are very good. I don't know if the offensive upside is that high, but he's a safe player and will be useful and loved by his coach at the next level. I think he probably goes in round 3.

Lagacé is a very good skater who can move the puck and is willing to get involved offensively, but is mainly a mean defender who is not fun to play against. Overall, I don't know how that physicality will translate as he isn't the biggest guy, but I have no doubt he will play at the Q level. Round 3 seems like a good spot.

Mathieu Pelletier is a very safe pick, he's a warrior who has great speed, is annoying to play against and has finishing and playmaking ability to boot. He's the type of player you go to war with, even if his offensive upside isn't as high as others, I think he goes round 2.

Boisselle is a good size playmaker with great hands, he's a bit inconsistent but his ability to make plays on the power play and his overall offensive skillset are very good. He's a high upside player to me, but he may be a bit riskier in that he is an average skater right now.

Ouellet is one of the best skaters in the draft, he's a winger that can pretty much do it all. He's a round 1 player for sure in my opinion.

Green to me is an interesting one, in the sense that I don't know how good he will become, but given his size, I think he goes at worst in round 3 at the draft. He has good upside.

Brideau is one of the safest goalies in the draft to me, not the best at anything but just a goalie you can trust who makes the first save and is effective. I think he probably goes in round 3.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
From what i am hearing here, the NS government may review the 4 week shut down tomorrow...the extensive testing is yielding minimal cases, lets hope that continues.
NB has release their schedule, which starts next week, looks like they have a plan in place to crown a provinical champion by mid april.
PEI is having some success as well with their quick lock down...could be up an running there within 2 weeks as well.
Might see a strong finish in Atlantic Canada after all.

hockeynhlscout

Sep 9, 2019
Very early, but last year the 2020 QMJHL Draft thread was started in March, so I thought I might as well start it off with some of the guys that have really stood out to me this season.

- Etienne Morin (Grenadiers BAAA) : Very impressive defender with crazy poise with the puck. Has a similar poise and calm quality with the puck as Guevin this season, but with some Poirier offensive game breaking qualities. Good defender as well.

- Isaac Fecteau (Seminaire St-Joseph M16) : Big defender with great skating, high-end talent, great shot, full package has everything you want in a top player.

- Christiano Spadafora (National BAAA) : Very skilled forward with high-end vision and hands. He's a complete and smart player who is very gifted offensively, worried about his size for the next levels, but his skill level is so high that he's one of those guys that should be good anyway.

- Mathieu Wener (College Francais BAAA) : Small defender who plays a very physical game and understands the game at a great level. Very talented offensively, hockey IQ is off the charts. Worry is size with him, or else I think I'd have him at the top of my list. Already captain of his weak BAAA team.

- Matis Ouellette (Rouyn-Noranda BAAA) : Highly skilled forward with great speed and smarts. Has the size and complete game needed for the next levels. He's a guy that plays a bit like Tristan Roy but is probably just a better prospect overall.

- Mathieu Cataford (CCL BAAA) : Big center who plays a very gritty game and goes to the dirty areas. Is a smart playmaker who can do it all on the ice. Needs to work on his speed a little bit.

- Evan Courtois (Cascades BAAA) : Big two-way center with goal scoring ability. There is no clear weakness with this guy, could work on his speed a little bit, but has the makings of a Nathan Gaucher level prospect.

I really like Lauzon (CFRS), Carriere (Grenadiers), Beaudry and Minville (CCL) on defense, as well as Grenier from Quebec who is a great puck mover.

Offensively, Talbot from Outaouais has scoring instincts, Goyette from Laval is rounding out his game really well, Baril from Noir et Or has great speed and playmaking abilities, Boisselle and Gauthier from Grenadiers look great too.

Overall, I'd say CCL with Cataford, Wener, Lauzon, Beaudry and Minville as well as Lacroix-Goulet in net have one hell of a future, plus my underdog Alexandre Blais (although very small),same can be said with Chateauguay with Morin, Carriere, Gauthier and Boisselle, and even more guys that do well in BAAA right now.

Vince Elie is another guy who has improved massively over the season with Montreal.

Any other guys that have stood out to anyone?

Seen him play couple of times, Pontarelli Nicolas, tall D, late 04, he is 6'3'' , 160llbs. Great fast skater, needs to still fill in at 160lb. Strong in his end, can move quick when he does. Quebec born playing with U18 AAA Hawkesbury. I can see him fully developed...will be good to see.

jake macleod

Jan 1, 2021
I usually just scout Cape breton major midget, going to start putting my top 5 every month.

1 Alex Christmas
2 Blake Snow
3 Tyson lefrense
4 Parker Hutchings
5 Riley crane

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I usually just scout Cape breton major midget, going to start putting my top 5 every month.

1 Alex Christmas
2 Blake Snow
3 Tyson lefrense
4 Parker Hutchings
5 Riley crane

I would say Christmas is the only one that is a safe bet to be drafted in that group, probably in rounds 4 to 6. As for the others, who knows.

Reactions: HKYEAST

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
Has anyone heard if any of the showcases will happen this year? I just can't see the midget AAA season being more than 12 -16 games this year if they get going.

gatorade challenge or montreal meltdown.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Has anyone heard if any of the showcases will happen this year? I just can't see the midget AAA season being more than 12 -16 games this year if they get going.

I don't see any events happening that will include all QMJHL draft prospects at the same time. The Maritimes and Quebec may do something separately but I don't see a true Gatorade happening unfortunately. As for the Meltdown, its usually post draft, if you move it up, you run into conflicts with school, exams, etc... The moment you host privatize hockey events, you bring in too many factors, the most important of which would be a much weaker product than a Q sanctioned Gatorade where provincial hockey bodies are responsible for roster selection. I could see the Q doing something in the Maritimes and Quebec separately, but it would take some serious organizing and the buy in from each provincial body to make it happen.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020

I am hearing the Gatorade Challenge has officially been shelved until 2022. Some preliminary discussions happening on a potential Atlantic Showcase amongst the four Provincial Associations but contingent on the Atlantic Bubble, nothing concrete. It appears the draft has already been pushed out several weeks at a minimum based on Gilles Courteau's comments recently. Whether Quebec can get going or not will have a significant impact on what happens draft wise.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
I don't see any events happening that will include all QMJHL draft prospects at the same time. The Maritimes and Quebec may do something separately but I don't see a true Gatorade happening unfortunately. As for the Meltdown, its usually post draft, if you move it up, you run into conflicts with school, exams, etc... The moment you host privatize hockey events, you bring in too many factors, the most important of which would be a much weaker product than a Q sanctioned Gatorade where provincial hockey bodies are responsible for roster selection. I could see the Q doing something in the Maritimes and Quebec separately, but it would take some serious organizing and the buy in from each provincial body to make it happen.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
I believe there is a camp in May in Freddy with a large number of scouts in attendance

Last edited:

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Sorry don't know anymore than that,,, When chatting with a player from SJ he said he had a camp to attend in Freddy in May for 05's

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Prospects combine may 26/29 in Frederiction hosted by Brian Casey.. prospect hockey
I did confirm that this is not a Q sanctioned event, its a private fundraiser for a local hockey program. Now will scouts attend, some may, I would say the MHL will be well represented as this is not exclusive to 05 born players. Bottom line, this will be a much weaker on ice product then the local U18 leagues, as there will be no drafted players in attendance.

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021

I was just told by a firend who has an 05 that his son was contacted to play in a potentiel meltdown end of may.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad