2021 QMJHL Draft

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Hey, you may well be right. Beauty of this is, it's just an opinion. Let's remember, a 4th round selection is still an amazing accomplishment and by no means is it a knock against a player. Hockey rankings a very fluid and can change a few times during the course of a season.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Very true words over the years of have seen kids drafted 7&8 rounds playing in the Q league while players drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds wound up playing junior A it is so much about adjustment and commitment by the individual , the trick is get on the draft list and see where it goes from there

Reactions: ATLHockeywatcher

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Hey, you may well be right. Beauty of this is, it's just an opinion. Let's remember, a 4th round selection is still an amazing accomplishment and by no means is it a knock against a player. Hockey rankings a very fluid and can change a few times during the course of a season.
I've seen Henderson for 4 games now and yet to see him shoot the puck during the game to see his shooting style. He has good size and did show some puck skills but seldom finds shooting lanes. He also likes to stick opposing players repeatedly during a shift change as they pass by. Was called once for unsportmanlike pentality, IMO thats shows lack of maturity, that can be worked out if coached right. I see him still in the first 5 rounds with a couple of changes to his game and between the whistles.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Gus El Tahan has been making waves with the Mount U17 team this season. Kid can skate and puts in solid shift after solid shift.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Gus El Tahan is one of the better small forwards in the 05 class this year. I've been fortunate to watch him play last year in the states and played strong in all areas of the ice. Now with the Saints this year and is still bringing his "A" game. I believe he had 4 goals in the game against the Wild this past weekend. We missed putting him on the list of forwards but deserving to be there above Pelletier and Squires in my mind. *Differently* not a sleeper pick...

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
You are missing Cam Henderson—F—Mount Charles USA 5’11/209 kid if he decides he is going QMJHL route will be a 1st round pick easy. He is from Nova Scotia. Also I have not seen Salem Johnson (a Defender) on your list...potential top 2 round pick as well

I have looked at Henderson over the years a fair bit - only twice last year though and 3 times this year. He is a good hockey player. Cam has really focused on his development and I think had the right support to max out his abilities. I think he's a hard worker and what not and he'll potentially play in the Q. However at this time I don't currently project him going in the first 4 rounds although I hope he beats my projection as I do all kids.

There is nothing wrong per se but he grew/matured very early and dominated with his size in younger ages which disappears the older the players get and this is apparent in watching him play now. I have yet to see him make his teammates better which he would need to do as a supporting and non-dominating type of player.

Reactions: HKYEAST

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
El Tahan has made a nice leap this past year. He has always been a dynamic skater with terrific speed and he is starting to play more of a team game. He is benefiting from playing with offensive prospects in Burbidge/Pelletier and now Squires on the Mount roster. While he lit up the scoresheet this past weekend, the goaltending in that game was very poor. First time I have watched Thompson with the Wild and he had a rough outing.

Reactions: HkyFan202

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Gus El Tahan is one of the better small forwards in the 05 class this year. I've been fortunate to watch him play last year in the states and played strong in all areas of the ice. Now with the Saints this year and is still bringing his "A" game. I believe he had 4 goals in the game against the Wild this past weekend. We missed putting him on the list of forwards but deserving to be there above Pelletier and Squires in my mind. *Differently* not a sleeper pick...
Easy now,..ahead of Squires and Pelletier, really? He is making progress for sure, but....

Reactions: archie

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Easy now,..ahead of Squires and Pelletier, really? He is making progress for sure, but....
He is deserving, precently he wears the "A" so even his coach sees him to be a leader and/or better work habits maybe more than Squires or Pelletier. He controls the puck during body contact without rushing the pass as I see the other 2 players do often. That was my deciding factor. IMO the other two may learn from Tahhan.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
He is deserving, precently he wears the "A" so even his coach sees him to be a leader and/or better work habits maybe more than Squires or Pelletier. He controls the puck during body contact without rushing the pass as I see the other 2 players do often. That was my deciding factor. IMO the other two may learn from Tahhan.
Scouts will not be fooled by a 7-7 game Mount U17 vs Wild. It was not a quality hockey game by any means. U17 vs Knights on Monday, El Tahan was a non factor. We are really grasping at straws with the limited hockey.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Yes Hockey is limited. 5-2 score in that game with the goals going to Travis and Burbidge and assists went to J. MacDonald and Johnston on those goals. Apparently Squires and Pelletier were also a non-factor as well. I have no family ties to any of the three boys. I like to see Squires go in the first round but thats just because I'm more fimilar with him the most...But I do also know is Grand Parents only being 5' tall and parents being 5.10" and 5.6" roughly and CS is small as well it's hard to believe he will grow much more to be affective in larger Leagues. Now is brother Jake has the height in the family @ 6.1". But I'm getting off topic...One game off the score sheet doesn't define any of them. All three are good enough to have their name called at draft night, who comes first is not up to me or you.

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Sydney Rush vs Steele this weekend....looking forward to Alex Christmas vs Green and company. Christmas has been playing better as of late, Green, Wagner, Normandeau, Pilgram will be fun to watch against a physical CB Team

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Scouts will not be fooled by a 7-7 game Mount U17 vs Wild. It was not a quality hockey game by any means. U17 vs Knights on Monday, El Tahan was a non factor. We are really grasping at straws with the limited hockey.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
That quality of that game you were absolutely correct watched most of the first, Tahan looked impressive I was watching 25 -10-and 21 but he disappeared when I went back to watch some of the second, must have been injured,, I was following a couple of other games I must say Tahan reads the ice very well and has an impressive skillset!

Hockey Life

Dec 7, 2019
Few 05’s with good games last night
Jake Todd with 3 points
Luke McPhee with 2 points
Alex Christmas with 3 points
Jake MacDonald with 2 points
It will be interesting to see if they all have just as good of games today.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
You are arguing what Scouts / GM's already know. Do you think for one minute Halifax will draft Cam Squires if they think he is a complete defensive liability? Not a chance. They will do their homework , they will spend hours breaking down video, talking with coaches, they will interview the kid, possibly multiple times, they will get several character references and from an opinion on his attitude and willingness to learn, compete, etc. ..does he party, does he drink, does he have a girlfriend, how does he do in school.....This is a business for them, they take if very seriously. You are not making any points that these guys do not take into consideration...but you can be assured of one thing...you had better have some skill or you overlooked and the process ends there.,
The main thing for us with Gatineau when we drafted a player early...We where allowed to talk to players (when the season was done only), we looked for if they answered the questions themselves or if parents try to dominate (which was a negative in our eyes), we requested the players school marks, what we thought of the parents was big (we had problems with parents in the past and would not be professional for me to say who and what happened but parents have a big take on their sons future even in the CHL route)...we spoke to coaches somewhat but most coaches are either scouts for other teams or have a good friend who is a scout so we never really took their words on the player all that crazy because we where never sure if they would down play a kid so another team would take them or what...we looks for IQ and skating the most but as would any team, the kid we wanted to have a good handle on life even at that age, if stories ever made it our way we might use them but usually you would not know if the kid was a big party guy or not but we where hoping to gauge that with school marks and speaking to the kid and seeing how he answered our questions.

Reactions: HkyTalk and HKYEAST

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
The main thing for us with Gatineau when we drafted a player early...We where allowed to talk to players (when the season was done only), we looked for if they answered the questions themselves or if parents try to dominate (which was a negative in our eyes), we requested the players school marks, what we thought of the parents was big (we had problems with parents in the past and would not be professional for me to say who and what happened but parents have a big take on their sons future even in the CHL route)...we spoke to coaches somewhat but most coaches are either scouts for other teams or have a good friend who is a scout so we never really took their words on the player all that crazy because we where never sure if they would down play a kid so another team would take them or what...we looks for IQ and skating the most but as would any team, the kid we wanted to have a good handle on life even at that age, if stories ever made it our way we might use them but usually you would not know if the kid was a big party guy or not but we where hoping to gauge that with school marks and speaking to the kid and seeing how he answered our questions.
You make very good points. I have been through the process and character is such an important part. Think of it this way...a Q team is about to invest a ton of time and money in a player and I don't mean just on ice investmenet.. gear, billet, travel, education fund, etc...they need to get it right so that the on ice portion is the focus and there is no noise away from the rink. The Q is not a baby sitting service.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
You make very good points. I have been through the process and character is such an important part. Think of it this way...a Q team is about to invest a ton of time and money in a player and I don't mean just on ice investmenet.. gear, billet, travel, education fund, etc...they need to get it right so that the on ice portion is the focus and there is no noise away from the rink. The Q is not a baby sitting service.
well i heard a few stories of some players before i became a scout on one of the players before i started did, it was nuts, after that Gatineau as a team started putting more stock and getting to know the family and the kid in school...there have been a few players in the past who had NHL potential and the parents where such tyrants that it effected the kid off the ice, other kids had amazing skill and size and wasted it partying.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
So Quebec U18 is holding it's virtual skills competition, not a bad idea given the situation. Able to draw some attention to the league, which is good. My question however...how can CCM and RDS be on board with such a competition and still use the word "Midget" in it's banner? Hockey Canada rules not apply in Quebec? It's the only midget league left in Canada i guess. Oh well, just an observation.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

jake macleod

Jan 1, 2021
Sydney rush looked good the weekend. Alex Christmas putting up 3 points as Tyson Lefranse and Blake Snow having a decent weekend. Looking forward to next weekend watching these O5s. Also forgot to mention the goalie Andrew Burke with a good weekend.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
well i heard a few stories of some players before i became a scout on one of the players before i started did, it was nuts, after that Gatineau as a team started putting more stock and getting to know the family and the kid in school...there have been a few players in the past who had NHL potential and the parents where such tyrants that it effected the kid off the ice, other kids had amazing skill and size and wasted it partying.

I do not personally factor in the parent into my evaluations. I have been thinking back and I think my decision on this was the right one overall. I might have unintentionally done it - but in general if a kids has NHL potential, I'm not penalizing him. Parents are a non-factor at the next level really and most of them realize it quickly as you would know. I have met some great parents as well, some who are life long friends.

Party guys and that kindof stuff - it's rare now days - but used to be rampant and something that you have to watch out for.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I do not personally factor in the parent into my evaluations. I have been thinking back and I think my decision on this was the right one overall. I might have unintentionally done it - but in general if a kids has NHL potential, I'm not penalizing him. Parents are a non-factor at the next level really and most of them realize it quickly as you would know. I have met some great parents as well, some who are life long friends.

Party guys and that kindof stuff - it's rare now days - but used to be rampant and something that you have to watch out for.
well i know from over a decade of scouting in the QMJHL at that level, parents play a big part of the kid, when parents come and tell you what line they expect their kid to play on and when your GM/Coach tries to explain how we are going to bring him along and they tell the player get in the car and trade him, and we let him rote in the Jr A system for a bit...parents do play into a kids future....other parents where taking the kids to strip clubs, supplying drugs...i can keep going....so at the CHL level parents where big for ALL TEAMS to look at, and there are MANY stories like the ones i just mentioned here for all teams. At the NHL no you do not have to watch out for the parents all that much at that level it is the agents more so and they can be worse....I know agents even have bad bearing at the QMJHL level, top prospects have representation and when interviews happen some only want the teams to talk to them and not the player, some have demands after the draft that cause teams to trade them.....and trust me one of the problem cases we had that a parent ruined the kid, he was taken top 5 in the QMJHL and was 6'3 and excellent NHL Potential, but his whole NHL dream went down the tank and so did his life, his parents where nuts and ruined the kid...the kid did not even have a good QMJHL career. I got out of the scouting game 2 years ago now, and at that point party stuff was still ramped, and when your dealing with 16 - 20 year olds it always will be.

maritimehky1

Feb 25, 2021
What went down with the Wild vs Knights game? Donneybrook?
wasn’t much of a game impressed by campbell and bret arsenault for knights final was 8 or 9 to 1 maybe i’m bad luck but Thompson has been pulled every game i’ve watched so far Knights are far better than wild though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad