2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Would be awesome to see a blended list for the first 2 rounds...is there a clear No 1? Luneau was pegged there from very early in the season last year, with the 05's, there are several that could emerge. 2 years ago i would have said Spadafora, now several have passed him IMO. Baril, Talbot, E Gauthier to name a few..from the Maritimes there are 5-6 that could emerge to be first rounders....maybe No 1 comes out of Atlantic.

Reactions: HkyFan202

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Would be awesome to see a blended list for the first 2 rounds...is there a clear No 1? Luneau was pegged there from very early in the season last year, with the 05's, there are several that could emerge. 2 years ago i would have said Spadafora, now several have passed him IMO. Baril, Talbot, E Gauthier to name a few..from the Maritimes there are 5-6 that could emerge to be first rounders....maybe No 1 comes out of Atlantic.

Best player in Quebec for me is Ethan Gauthier, I don't think Baril and Talbot are at that level personally (they'll be very high picks but not 1OA). I like Goyette, Mercier and Ouellet as high-end picks too, but don't see them having first overall potential. I'd say Gauthier is the top guy right now but there's definitely room for someone to pass him either from the Atlantics or Quebec, looks like a decently deep draft with maybe no Luneau level player.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Best player in Quebec for me is Ethan Gauthier, I don't think Baril and Talbot are at that level personally (they'll be very high picks but not 1OA). I like Goyette, Mercier and Ouellet as high-end picks too, but don't see them having first overall potential. I'd say Gauthier is the top guy right now but there's definitely room for someone to pass him either from the Atlantics or Quebec, looks like a decently deep draft with maybe no Luneau level player.

Interesting, you did not have Gauthier’ on your list when you started this post. Time changes things...that’s great. He is very good, solid pedigree as well.
Etienne Morin played up a year in Ont, Ottawa region...he must be a solid defender

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Interesting, you did not have Gauthier’ on your list when you started this post. Time changes things...that’s great. He is very good, solid pedigree as well.
Etienne Morin played up a year in Ont, Ottawa region...he must be a solid defender

Morin was a top guy for sure, don't know how he progressed. Gauthier was a guy I really discovered at the end of last year, has been impressive ever since. Decent group of guys in Quebec but quite a few that moved elsewhere.

Topprospects1242

Jun 11, 2020
This past year many players came to my attention that are still under the radar. Players like Alex mcintosh who played in Ontario this year, personally I think he’s top 10 for all 05 born players coming from Quebec. Other players that have been under looked is Thompson, trudel, Bilodeau, Ellie and Watson are all really good prospects.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
This past year many players came to my attention that are still under the radar. Players like Alex mcintosh who played in Ontario this year, personally I think he’s top 10 for all 05 born players coming from Quebec. Other players that have been under looked is Thompson, trudel, Bilodeau, Ellie and Watson are all really good prospects.

I had a have to see McIntosh play a few games this past season, unless he was really off the days I seen him, I would have him no where near the top 2 rounds...am I missing something? OHA was very weak , Goalies certainly seen a lot of rubber

Topprospects1242

Jun 11, 2020
I had a have to see McIntosh play a few games this past season, unless he was really off the days I seen him, I would have him no where near the top 2 rounds...am I missing something? OHA was very weak , Goalies certainly seen a lot of rubber
Beginning of season he was not doing well but when I watched him near the end and when he played up with midget I really thought he could do damage in the league.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Heard he recommitted to oha
I took a look at their website and I wasn't impressed. They tout themselves as being academically strong but whoever put together the site doesn't write very well. Is the hockey program strong at least?

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
That OHA U15 team was awful last season. 3-24-3 was there record... in fact the last 3 seasons for that team they have a record of 19-61-11 ... Program needs work cause I don't think that league is overly strong either....

Topprospects1242

Jun 11, 2020
That OHA U15 team was awful last season. 3-24-3 was there record... in fact the last 3 seasons for that team they have a record of 19-61-11 ... Program needs work cause I don't think that league is overly strong either....
They have a weak u15 program but run a solid u17 u18 program but also take one too many weak players

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
For anyone watching the Major Bantam Atlantics this year. From the PEI based team for this draft watch out for B. Arsenault and L. Coughlin. Was very impressed with them down the stretch.
I’ve watched both many times but left unimpressed. One lacking foot speed and doesn’t see the ice well enough and the other has lost the puck more times trying to rush end to end leaving his blue line exposed.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Luke Coughlin**
List is good, Patterson and Lounsbury have taken big leaps in last year, I think Squires is right around top 3 for sure, Goyette would be my next guy to keep any eye on, i think he could be in the mix for top 3 come end of next year. Keifer in top 15 is questionable. Im not sold on him being a 1st round talent. especially with the offensive 05 talent . Mathieu Pelletier out of NB, playing prep this year should be top 10-15.
Don’t forget the meat and bones that makes team play together. Max Sentner (Chtown) and Clarke Alain(Western) will not be missed in next years draft.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
For the most part absolutely, you are bang on with most of those guys there, I respectfully have to disagree with a few of those and im not sure if you have seen those kids play this year or are kind of just basing it off of word of mouth. I don't want to get to involved in it as its so early, but I think this draft class is going to grow over the next year to being a VERY talented and decently deep draft class ... Those forwards hard to argue maybe add Luke Patterson from moncton. On defence I have Nathan Mossey on that list. Goaltenders I like, don't let richardson numbers worry you. Max Sentner is a lost cause IMO, his off ice issues are too much.

I Like the list though, good job!
It’s nice to see your opinion about these players are 13-14 years old and have a lot of growing to do and ratings will change in one breath and in another have written off a player like Max Sentner. I’ve watched this kid play before and he can do more with the puck plus make the opposing team play scared to touch the puck. If I was a coach in Major Bantam I would love a player like that. Off ice stuff are rumours spread by probably jealous parents that had a son or two that played against him. But your list has names of decent players. I just wouldn’t right off a 14 year old. Lol too funny. Hard to take you serious after that comment.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Only two I haven’t seen this year are Henderson and Pelletier but they weren’t borderline players so I added them. I also like Mossey and he could easily replace someone, but Patterson to me has to really work on his skating to move ahead. Great head and hands but average foot speed. I don’t know anything about Senter other then he has lots of tools but seems to be having a hard time sticking to a team lol.
I believe Max Sentner went on to play for the Mount Academy. I think he made the Knights Major Midget team as a Under age player but Hockey Pei wanted him to play half year with Midgets and the full year with the Bantams Charlottetown. Weird scenario. Weak league on the Island with Bantams so he played with Midget age players in international play. I believe HPEI over thought that decision. He’s too fast and a player always on the puck that makes opposing players play with egg in their pockets.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I believe Max Sentner went on to play for the Mount Academy. I think he made the Knights Major Midget team as a Under age player but Hockey Pei wanted him to play half year with Midgets and the full year with the Bantams Charlottetown. Weird scenario. Weak league on the Island with Bantams so he played with Midget age players in international play. I believe HPEI over thought that decision. He’s too fast and a player always on the puck that makes opposing players play with egg in their pockets.
Sentner is a great skater with a solid work ethic. In my opinion he crosses the line way too often when he plays on the edge. Hockey is no longer about the big hit, you just can't do it anymore, so having a 'fear factor' as a skill is not going to attract Q teams. Small bantam aged kids may have had eggs in their pants, but i can tell you Q players don't., as a matter of fact the PP runs the game now, so staying out of the box is a huge asset for teams. If Sentner can clean up his game (and maybe he has) he has some serious upside and Q teams will see him as a great role player.....Let's all remember that the Q will do their homework on every player they draft, both on and off the ice, they will form their own opinions with interviews , 1 on 1 meetings and references....they won't be reading this blog as a pre draft scouting report....but's it makes for great discussion.

Reactions: ATLHockeywatcher

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
You make some great points, altough a hockey player that has a coach that wants his players to finish checks with speed and not slow down, is exciting to watch and makes old guys like me go to the games to watch. I am awear the Q for some reason I can't explain likes only goal scorers. The OHL sees the benefts of a 200 foot player and a 2 way player with speed and strengh much differently. I see in more games being won by a big fast teams that have those guys like Sentner on them than the 20 foot players that don't work the puck in their end or neutral zone cause they are not able to do so but are well rested sitting beside the net looking for a loose puck. But they get the credit with the goal but the hard nose players that worked the puck in those areas get the shaft and no press or acknowledgement from their peers or the hockey community. PP of coarse gives the advantage to a team but also playing against a team that has no one that can carry the puck in high traffic high speed areas which is where the majority of the game is played. Teams without players like Sentner that work in those areas make it a one sided game cause the 20 foot players will not touch the puck and will not go after the puck in other areas because it hurts being bumped and takes too much energy. I do see a team benefit more from those players that play with an edge than a player without an edge or passion. In closing I would like to say if roles were reversed a player like MacPee or McFarland or Sentner would shine around the net but players such as Squires or Arsenault or C.MacDonald would take 5 times more penalties trying to work the 200 foot game cause they also will get fustrated more often than the ones that have handled that part of the ice for years and have developed that edge a player needs to handle the bumping and grinding. I know the Q scouts shouldn't read our comments but some of the readers that add comments boast that they are scouts, so you may be surprised who reads these small tid-bits of information, so it would be refreshing to get some information right about players that you write on with some understanding of the game and players roles.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Well, here's to hoping he has a great year and we see him at the draft, if he's good enough, Q teams will find him and draft him.. Sounds like you are having a frustrating experience playing in PEI, hopefully that sorts its self out as well.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Who is Owen Carter?
Also bold statement to say Squires (who is a 14 year old kid) is overrated.
Please remember they are just kids.
...Funny, you don't like NHLScout2023 saying Squires is over rated and I agree with him but you don't mind saying Sentner is a write off. When actually Sentner paved the way for C. Squires and company for the last two years he played for Ch'Town. I watched some of Ch'town's games and I can tell you first hand when the game gets hard and fast, Coach Squires will put M. Sentner on his line and surprise C.Squires is not getting knocked around any more and he has lots of time down low within his 20 feet of ice he plays in. You say big hits is not in todays game and the Q is not looking for those guys. I know thats wrong. When I was in my hay day and played both in the OHL and later in the Q. Big hitter ran the league and just because there is fewer hits that doesn't mean those teams are not looking for power forwards to give those 6'3" defensemen a run for their money when the puck is in their end. And I think you would agree but not sure, who would you want bearing down on that defenceman, 5'4" at 125 pounds Squires or a 6' 180 pound Mayo or Sentner to get the puck. And make that 5 foot pass in front of the net to Squires and company so they can run around the ice like superman cause they scored. Thats all good to see though but I do like seeing a nice pass more than a nice goal. This is not like the old days to use your own words, a team will not take or trade for small niffy forwards cause McSorley is not in the deal any more. Players have to fend for them selves now a days, its going to be a big shock to some of these players in Midget and beyond if they survive.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Well, here's to hoping he has a great year and we see him at the draft, if he's good enough, Q teams will find him and draft him.. Sounds like you are having a frustrating experience playing in PEI, hopefully that sorts its self out as well.
Well its too early to tell how Sentner/Mayo and others young men that play that way, how will they sit at the draft table but I will leave today by saying this. I heard a Fredricton team went to the States to play Boston and Mass and Sweden and Maine Elite teams. If it wasn't for Mayo NB, Strap NFLD, and Sentner PEI they would of got run out of town but instead lost to Sweden 5-4 in the finals. Those 3 players, I may of gotten the NFLD guy's name wrong, scored most of the goals or points and the nifty small forwords were ghost like. I do see that happen in big games, usually in tourament play or playoff. Just when it matters most go figure...

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I think these discussion about the PEI kids in 2005 is filled with bias. I think you need to watch for tunnel vision as I suspect you are somehow connected to the kids directly. This is fine but you need to put them in perspective. We are moving to the next phase of this thread outside of the Atlantic provinces when talking about the draft. It's a different world. I see 6 that I think will crack the first round - and I'm probably too optimistic.

As a scout you do in fact look for a kid who is "less mature physically" but also has something special - bigger upside. This is an advantage in fact in later years. You look for a magic touch around the net. You look for spots and the IQ it takes to get there. You look at what seems like persistent luck to some even. Hitting has it's place at times - but it's rarer every year. If your picking up a penalty a game because you hit hard - don't hit hard - it's selfish. I see several making a great hit all the time, and the puck ends up the other way as they both are out of the play, or you get a penelty. You generally don't want a player who is going out to hurt the other team for the sake of hurting the other team. There are lots of those players in the lower leagues - especially in Quebec.

SWRekker

Oct 8, 2009
I think these discussion about the PEI kids in 2005 is filled with bias. I think you need to watch for tunnel vision as I suspect you are somehow connected to the kids directly. This is fine but you need to put them in perspective. We are moving to the next phase of this thread outside of the Atlantic provinces when talking about the draft. It's a different world. I see 6 that I think will crack the first round - and I'm probably too optimistic.
Creating an account to talk about the same player in every post is not helping whatsoever.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019

As a scout you do in fact look for a kid who is "less mature physically" but also has something special - bigger upside. This is an advantage in fact in later years. You look for a magic touch around the net. You look for spots and the IQ it takes to get there. You look at what seems like persistent luck to some even. Hitting has it's place at times - but it's rarer every year. If your picking up a penalty a game because you hit hard - don't hit hard - it's selfish. I see several making a great hit all the time, and the puck ends up the other way as they both are out of the play, or you get a penelty. You generally don't want a player who is going out to hurt the other team for the sake of hurting the other team. There are lots of those players in the lower leagues - especially in Quebec.

Well said!! I do like your optimism with 6 in the first round...but that will be challanging...i see Atlantic doing very well in rounds 2 and 3 , with another solid push in 5-8.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020

I appreciate your feed back. You are right with your points on hitting and how it gets a player out of position. I have followed the Maritime boys in PeeWee, Bantam and Midget age groups for years now and its a great past time and met many great people along the way. I found this Forum 3 months ago and read through all Quotes about many players. Alot is the same thing over and over but there is some finer points made by some members that are refreshing but some are throwing mud. Which I don't think anyone likes and I've done it also but in some cases its warranted and others quotes is just dirty. Thats when I opened an account and posted what i've seen on a couple of players over the years. I don't mean to affend you with my liking of how a hockey player plays, I believe thats what this Forum is about.
You can make an arguement on both sides of a player that has speed and closes in on opponents quickly and gets stick on stick and throws a clean body check. Or a defenceman that rushes the puck and it looks good when he makes it all the way and gets a shot but if he loses it, we here on this forum would say he's making bad decisions but to be fair to that defenceman he is not the only player out there and one of the other 4 players should cover his spot. So if its a hit or a player losing the puck and caught out of position its a team sport and the whole game is based on players out of position and covering. It would be a boring game if those things didn't happen. Its a game of mistakes and the team that works like a team and covers each other the most will win. A player that is team player is beautiful to watch and the people that only sees a player out of position trying to make a play is not seeing the game right IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad