2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
It will be interesting to see how many other Major teams start taking a similar approach and locking down some 15 year olds early. The schools are already in full recruitment mode for next fall and given the uncertainty of Spring ID or development camps teams will need to make some early commitments somehow?
Good point. Do other Teams in ATL normally have a protected list? Or is it just Metro?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Very bored so I’m Going to try and start a discussion. These are the 15 year olds I hope to watch in midget next year with these teams. Stated above that I hope to see...there are others that may be there yes.
Let’s assume all players...who are not already away at schools receive offers from outside ...and you can protect 4 per Team outside of Metro Halifax...who are you protecting?
Halifax
L.Welsh f
J. Plandowski f (away)
B.Shortall f
J.MacDonald d
C.Flemming g

Dartmouth
M.Green f
L.Foster f
W.Normandeau f
S. Bower d
B.Wamboldt d
C. Richardson g

ColeHarbour
D.Francis f
J.Todd f
M. Wagner f
B. Pilgrim f
L. McPhee f
R. Decoste g

South Shore
B. Coleman f
D. Rafuse f
O. Hatfield f
K. Harlow d

Valley
C. Burbidge f
N. Fowler f
A. Crocker f
C. Henderson f (away)
L. Orr (prep)

Pictou County
A. Tucker f
B. Wallace f
L. Crosby f
L. Lochead f
C. MacGillivary d
E. McNutt d (moved)

CB West
T. Peddle f
T. Grant f
R. Wood f
R. MacKinnon d
L. Stewart d
J. Milner g

Cape Breton
A. Christmas f
T. Lefresne d
J. Jobes d

There are 3 kids in N.S. that could play as under agers but I don’t think any will apply.
Q. Kennedy f
W. Shields f
I. Phillips d

Moncton
J. Gendron f
L. Patterson f
P. Collette f
R. Hopper f
P. Lounsbury f
W. Allen f (away)
D. MacKinnon d
JP Boudreau d
J. Martin d
S. Leblanc g

Northern
O. Arsenault f
N. Adams d
N. Ward d

Fredericton
B. Nadeau f
C. Morin f
D. Deschenes f
S. MacFarlane f
S. Mayo f
G. El-Tahhan f
M. Pelletier f (away)
A. Topilnyckyj d
S. Johnson d (away)

Saint John
N.Ryan f
J. Corscadden f
I. Dickie d
J. Flanagan g

Charlottetown
C. MacDonald f
C. Squires f
B. Arsenault f
B. Murphy f
J. MacDonald f
M. Senter f
H. Clements d
L. Coughlin d
N. Mossey d

Kensington
S. Bowness f
C. Alain f
P. Shea f
C . Arsenault d
K. Thompson g (away)

Players ifrom NL I would like to see:
M. Rotondi d
M. Strapp f
N. Crosbie f
T. Chafe f (away)

Moncton, Fredericton and Charlottetown get all them players and they would draw a lot of attention.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
The three metro teams protect 4 kids each but there is always promises made outside that.

Halifax gets Gulls and Halifax
Dartmouth gets Bedford and Dartmouth
ColeHarbour gets rangers and ColeHarbour

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
It is an interesting way of doing it and i personally am all for it! I don't think this happens in PEI or NB . PEI is more so whoever wants to go to either team is free to do so. Coaches do however make verbal guarentees to players but i'm not sure how that works. I know a few big 05 names will not be playing hockey in atlantic canada next season.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
It is an interesting way of doing it and i personally am all for it! I don't think this happens in PEI or NB . PEI is more so whoever wants to go to either team is free to do so. Coaches do however make verbal guarentees to players but i'm not sure how that works. I know a few big 05 names will not be playing hockey in atlantic canada next season.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
The only reason they do it in metro (I think) is to even up the teams. Dartmouth was a power house for a while in around early 2000’s. The other 5 teams have there Zones as well but at times parents will find a way to get their kid on a metro team. Usually CapeBreton kids moving to the city. Baker and Kabatay the most recent but I remember years ago a kid from North Sydney maybe? Kirkpatrick did as well.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
That makes sense, the PEI clubs should do the same, players move year to year over there do they not?

I think many Midget teams host spring camps and make some commitments to players early, not always just 15 year olds... I guess my point was in the absence of ID/Development camps, the Metro NS model makes sense and other clubs might want to consider it to avoid losing kids to the prep school route.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Well I remember the knock against doing a protected list was that kids would go to prep schools instead. If you were from Bedford and say you wanted to play for Halifax because they had a coach with a great reputation of moving kids on, but instead had to go to Dartmouth to play for a coach that wasn’t well liked.....I’m pretty sure kids have already gone south because of this reason.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
HRM is the only area in NS where they have 6 Major Bantam teams combining to make 3 Major Midget teams. I’m not sure if players are open to try anywhere if they are not protected now or not? I have heard of kids attending all teams tryout camps in the summer. Anywhere outside of HRM your destiny in Major Midget if you choose is set for you. Where you live is where you play. Not sure if they need to worry about protecting kids when the kids do not have any other choice but to leave for prep, or other, if they opt out of Major Midget. Seems as though Valley, South Shore, maybe even Pictou(?) wait for HRM cuts and releases to fill their teams as it is.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
I know for me personally, I am not a fan at all of PEI kids who will play major bantam and AP with say the wild and then first year midget go play for charlottetown team and then second year decide to go back to kensington. Last season i think a total of 7 kids flipped teams and I dont understand why that is allowed ? Seems like its an easy way to just stack one team. I think NB has the option to do the same, but just don't see it as often probably due to travel distances are a bit further away.

Reactions: HkyTalk

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Completely agree with the fact that shouldn’t be allowed. Personally I think boundaries are important although when it’s a weak age group coming through an area people will disagree and want to find an out. I would think the underlying issue is the development (or lack of) for such group previous to the Bantam / Midget years. I do however really like the fact that PEI, and I believe NB and NL allow their Major Bantam kids to AP with Major Midget teams. I think that is great development for those kids to get early exposure to the Major Midget level. Whether they actually play much during those games or not they are there in the dressing room, on the bench and taking in first hand the Major Midget level.
NS is behind in their development ideas and thoughts I think that way. I don’t think kids should automatically play up all the time but I think for the kids that can they should.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019

Who do have as far as big names not playing in Atlantic Canada next season? I heard rumors of Peddle heading away...anyone else? It happens every year and it will continue to happen, not everyone agrees with Atlantic development. Personally, i feel it comes down to the options in your home town for Midget AAA....coaching, travel, ice time per week, team make up...all factors, A 15 yr old can really develop playing with older kids...and it's great to see the how they adjust when they hit Midget. This decision is parent driven, in some cases it fantastic, in others its an escape by the Parent who feels his kid won't get a fair shake locally.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Yeh Peddle was the one I had heard as well as a couple others from NS but i see they were both protected so I would imagine that is a sign they are likely to stay? It seems to me it is more of a problem in NS and PEI than in NB? Dieppe and Moncton kids always stick around and that probably contributes to why they have been continuously developed and had very strong teams. I am not against kids leaving or staying I think it is 100% on the opportunity that they have and weighing options.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Yeh Peddle was the one I had heard as well as a couple others from NS but i see they were both protected so I would imagine that is a sign they are likely to stay? It seems to me it is more of a problem in NS and PEI than in NB? Dieppe and Moncton kids always stick around and that probably contributes to why they have been continuously developed and had very strong teams. I am not against kids leaving or staying I think it is 100% on the opportunity that they have and weighing options.

Its all about the opportunity...however families are paying 15-25K per season ....plus plus to send their 15 year old away. I would really like to see the ROI on that one....considering that many of the players who leave would challange to have an impact in Midget AAA. Moncton seems to retain players for sure. For the record, there is a spot for every Bantam AAA kid to leave if they have the cash...let's not forget that the programs recruiting these players are FOR PROFIT organizations.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Depends on what the “Opportunity” is I guess. I suspect different for all. Some it’s pure thinking the hockey is better, development is better, whether true or not? Some may be looking at the school side itself, I know hearing from a few public school verses private is considerably different. Some plainly have the money to do what ever they want some get substantial scholarships. What’s the avg. cost to play M Midget, plus training, plus travel, plus spring training... pretty sure $15k comes pretty quick. Like anything I guess after Bantam it’s all an individual thought on what’s best overall. Some kids can not be with out mom and dad at 15-16 yet and some have been self sufficient since 12. All plays a role somewhere. There had to be 6-7 + kids away for their 2nd year Bantam last year. May not be a bad thing for those who will actually move on to a Junior level. Learn how to be a little more self sufficient before being thrown into Junior hockey and having to fend for your self all of a sudden? I don’t know what the answers are! Lol

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Absolutely agree on both comments. I for one wish all atlantic born kids stuck around and played major midget as it would create more competitive hockey and is nice for me as I watch and scout hockey throughout atlantic canada! I know of some kids who have gone to alberta to "play hockey" but it was more a family decision to do so to better the kids education. A few kids have also gone to play hockey in ontario and paid 50k a year to play on a fourth line all season.
All in all i guess is going away to play hockey at 14-15 better for your hockey development? No right or wrong answer but it is a debate for sure

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Looks like your sources were reliable, Peddle confirmed for Shadduck St. Marys in the fall.
Yes. seen that over the weekend. Great opportunity for him. That school holds quite a reputation for hosting some serious hockey talent. Certainly opens doors for a US route as well.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Another top atlantic kid has committed to going to a US prep school as well, i'm sure something will be out in the coming days. Looking on some past players who have gone that route, I think its an excellent decision and keeps doors open for down the road!

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Will be interesting to see who leaves and for those that already left last season , who stays. Also to see what they actually play. 15’s pure (05’s next season) 16U (04’s) or actual Prep. Will be interesting to see what kids like Henderson and Pelltier ( and others) will do next season where they have had a year away already. Shaping up to potentially have a large number of what’s considered higher end players not playing in the provincial M Midget leagues. Speaking Atlantic Canada anyway.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Henderson and Pelletier will be back in atlantic canada but wont be where most would expect ;) Bantam league will be quite strong next year around the maratimes. A lot of real talent in the 06 group across the provinces

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Henderson and Pelletier will be back in atlantic canada but wont be where most would expect ;) Bantam league will be quite strong next year around the maratimes. A lot of real talent in the 06 group across the provinces

Looking for more Q exposure while still staying with the Academics possibly?

Reactions: HkyFan202

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad