2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Seeing as Suter, Parise, Yandle have all been bought out, any chance we see a Jamie Benn buyout?

Not happening . He's still worth at least 3/4's of it and its not even that long anymore . Not to mention he'll be younger than both Parise and Suter are now when his contract expires. And its pretty much buyout proof.

With the 3 buyouts it opens up protection slots. With Benn ? No . Nobody really worth protecting that currently won't be.

Suter and Parise buyouts was also protection against the potential insanity of recapture penalties which can't happen with Benn.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way zero interest in Yandle even cheap. Offense only 3rd pairing guy. Absolutely not what we need at all.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Also to put into perspective.
Buying out Benn saves the team 666k
Meaning that with a replacement player, it will be more expensive than just keeping benn around

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Benn is still very much a solid 2nd line player, he just frustrates us because hes paid like a superstar and sometimes tries to make plays that he no longer is capable of.

Also I'm very much off the Seth Jones option, he could be a candidate for a bounce back when out of CBJ, but man his analytics are trash for the last two seasons. Would still be down to try and trade Lindell for a RD option, but not sure any team would be into that.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
This pretty much suggests to me that the lunacy that Mike Heika and others have been sharing about their strategy to go with three goalies and possibly bury Oettinger in the minors to start the year has some foundation. I don't imagine a world where Seattle takes Bishop and the move was likely made to protect Khudobin. Maybe the Stars think that protects his trade value, but down the road, they're probably going to have to undervalue someone or stunt Oettinger's growth.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If he approached Nill to waive, that’s reason to believe it’s LTIR related. He could be done and still get paid while living here with family.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
This means bishops injured and they and bishop know Seattle won’t take him .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This pretty much suggests to me that the lunacy that Mike Heika and others have been sharing about their strategy to go with three goalies and possibly bury Oettinger in the minors to start the year has some foundation. I don't imagine a world where Seattle takes Bishop and the move was likely made to protect Khudobin. Maybe the Stars think that protects his trade value, but down the road, they're probably going to have to undervalue someone or stunt Oettinger's growth.

I think the biggest issue is we really have no idea about Bishops health. If he's absolutely not healthy the Stars have to keep Khudobin .

Reactions: pbatx

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
can't believe the DMN thinks their hockey content is worth the paywall.

That’s hilarious because I read the article in it’s entirety when I first posted and I’m not a subscriber. They must have forgotten to paywall it when they first put it up.

FWIW

Article said Ben Bishop “approached the team about 4 weeks ago” saying he thought this was what’s best for the team.

He either gets claimed by Seattle or bought out is what I take from all of this.

Reactions: eartotheground

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Seems like a good move by Bish, saves Dobby for us, Otter stays in the NHL and no way Seattle picks him. Mascherin or Dickinson come on down.

Helps the team, shores up the Goalie Q and I agree, that he's most likely going on LTIR, where he can be activated if he can play, but we still get the cap relief, and I think he is probably done.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Can they not protect a goalie and instead a 8th forward ? Is that allowed ?
its 8 players and 1 goalie, or 7F, 3D,1G. You cant move the Bishop protection to another position it would have to be used on Khudobin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad