2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
15 million in cap space with 1 million in bonuses owed.

14 million for.

Heiskanen
Oleksiak
6/7D
Kiviranta
Depth Forward
Depth Forward

Assuming 8-10 million goes to Heiskanen and Oleksiak that leaves 4-6 million for the remaining depth pieces. Aka no room for Coleman.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
So "other plans" potentially being...

-Thinking Mascherin is the likely Seattle pick?
-Oleksiak deal ready to be signed post expansion draft?
-Plans to have Dobby return and start Oettinger in Cedar Park?
-Bypassing the bridge and signing Miro long term?

I didn't particularly want Coleman that much, but would still prefer to have some wiggle room.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Coleman's Stanley Cup Finals performance for sure priced him out of Dallas. Everyone thought it but with Shapiro tweeting about it it almost seems certain now.

Guess anything can happen still and we should wait until it's official. Maybe Coleman takes a big discount although I'm not sure why he would.

Kinda a shame though cause if we can't afford Coleman at probably $4m or so a season then we can't afford anyone very good. This Oleksiak contract might be rough

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Bishop being bought out would be a plausible reason not to be able to afford Coleman.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Yeah I was just thinking this morning how it wouldn't be smart to hand out the contract he likely wants unless he takes a major hometown discount. Makes me very concerned however to see what they pay Oleksiak...thinking $5m possibly? Tough to see how they wouldn't have space unless they hand out big deals to others

5m for Oleksiak? I'm a massive Oleksiak fan but...how?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd really like to avoid a highly restrictive no trade clause with Oleksiak. My biggest hesitation with him is thinking he might be passed on the depth chart within a couple years of him signing an extension. If Harley is able to establish himself as a top 4 guy in the next couple of years and Klingberg is inking a mega deal, are you really gonna want to spend top 4 money on what would be your #5 D man?

I'd be fine with a lot of term, he's still surprisingly young and has a game I think can age well. 5 years $4 million AAV range with a 5-10 team no trade list is probably the most I'd be comfortable with.

Would still prefer to bargain shop, Jani Hakanpaa and Cody Ceci come on down, but I could be happy with an Oleksiak return at the right price.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oleksiak is right in his prime years. This contract will in all likelyhood be the biggest of his NHL career . Alot depends on how much he wants to maximize that. With how quiet its been around him though there's a good bet that there's a handshake deal in place and he re-signs after the expansion draft.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If there's not enough money to sign Coleman, that means he's overpaying oleksiak, and plans to roll the same busted ass forward group out next year.
Why does he have such love for giving out shit contacts

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Best case scenario I think is the Stars give him 4-5M for 1 year, see how Harley pans out, and he can test free agency next year when the cap crunch is likely gone and there’s a tv deal bump. I could see a lot of players taking 1-2 year deals this year to better time their big contract.

Also I could absolutely see oleksiak getting an ntc, the Stars already traded him away once in his career. Lucky for him it was with a good team, but I’m sure that is in the back of his mind.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If there's not enough money to sign Coleman, that means he's overpaying oleksiak, and plans to roll the same busted ass forward group out next year.
Why does he have such love for giving out shit contacts

Idk about that . Coleman could get really really overpaid. He's been part of two Cups in a row while paid more or less pennies. Pretty sure Coleman wants to maximize his value right now. I don't think the Stars can that.

Also if Heiskanen signs a long term deal and Oleksiak re-signed that also means no Coleman . That'd be 11+ combined for both imho.

Heiskanen wants at least Chabot money on a longterm deal that was been reported before.

Only way Coleman would fit in is a Khudobin deal with no salary coming back.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Idk about that . Coleman could get really really overpaid. He's been part of two Cups in a row while paid more or less pennies. Pretty sure Coleman wants to maximize his value right now. I don't think the Stars can that.

Also if Heiskanen signs a long term deal and Oleksiak re-signed that also means no Coleman . That'd be 11+ combined for both imho.

Heiskanen wants at least Chabot money on a longterm deal that was been reported before.

Only way Coleman would fit in is a Khudobin deal with no salary coming back.
Well hopefully seattle works something out with oleksiak then to save nill from himself.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well hopefully seattle works something out with oleksiak then to save nill from hinself.

Even if Oleksiak doesn't re-sign then he needs to be replaced. Oleksiaks replacement + a long term Heiskanen deal would still make Coleman impossible without Khudobin beeing elsewhere without taking back money. Can't count on Harley beeing ready for top4 minutes right from the get go.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Even if Oleksiak doesn't re-sign then he needs to be replaced. Oleksiaks replacement + a long term Heiskanen deal would still make Coleman impossible without Khudobin beeing elsewhere without taking back money. Can't count on Harley beeing ready for top4 minutes right from the get go.
Replacing oleksiak should be cheaper, though it's Nill so he'll find a way to f*** that up too, or at the very least cost the same but get a much better player.
If he's giving oleksiak anything over 3, they need to just let someone else go bite that bullet.
Then again he needed to let khudobin walk and gave him 3yrs. Now we're stuck with him too

So you're probably right, we'll be a cap team that is still fighting to even make the pos.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That's the second insider report that Bishop has been considered as a buyout candidate. Even if it doesn't particularly make sense, where there's smoke there's fire.

Who wants this smoke?

Maybe they're facing a situation where he’s being LTIRetired and the stars don’t want to deal with it if possible? It puts them in a vulnerable position if khudobin is taken by Seattle because it means they probably need to sign a platoon guy.

If Miro is as good as he thinks he is, then he should be able to drag a bottom pairing guy who complements his style into playing top 4 minutes. Like a zubov-niskanen situation, basically. I think Oleksiak is very optional if he does have a high price tag or big term. It's not like he's anything special that we absolutely have to hold on to, he'd be very replaceable in free agency. I think this year's free agency will be a great opportunity to get some reasonable deals because of the cap crunch, this would be the year to wait until the free agency period to negotiate some of these deals. What I'm afraid of is that we have a handshake deal in place with Oleksiak, and that it sucks and is longer than 2 or 3 years. The whole point of having Klingberg and Heiskanen on the same team is that you can skimp on a few pieces and use that money where you're weaker.

TBH, I'm surprised at the low numbers being thrown around here for expectations for Oleksiak's salary, I'd expect that in free agency he's something around 4.5Mx4, and I don't really see him giving the Stars much of a discount. He's not worth that, but that's what I would expect. He's a top 4 D who is enormous and can skate, teams love that shit (including this one).

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
At first I was thinking the same thing... then I remembered Oleksiak is like 4 years older than Carlo.

I think Oleksiak can fetch 5M+ on the open market.
The often seen instant-regret contract

Reactions: Satan

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
At first I was thinking the same thing... then I remembered Oleksiak is like 4 years older than Carlo.

I think Oleksiak can fetch 5M+ on the open market.
I would rather pay Larsson 4-5M than Oleksiak

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Coleman's Stanley Cup Finals performance for sure priced him out of Dallas. Everyone thought it but with Shapiro tweeting about it it almost seems certain now.

Guess anything can happen still and we should wait until it's official. Maybe Coleman takes a big discount although I'm not sure why he would.

Kinda a shame though cause if we can't afford Coleman at probably $4m or so a season then we can't afford anyone very good. This Oleksiak contract might be rough

Even this is overly optimistic imo. Coleman isn’t taking a discount at almost 30 years old being a Stanley cup winner. He’s switching to retirement mode and getting his payday. No agent would let him take as big of a cut as we would need him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad