2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
At first I was thinking the same thing... then I remembered Oleksiak is like 4 years older than Carlo.

I think Oleksiak can fetch 5M+ on the open market.

Yeah you’re probably right there. Plus I don’t see Nill giving him 6 years

I guess we should brace ourselves for 5 million a year

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Looking at old comparables (B Dillon/Edmundson/Gardiner) maybe Oleksiak gets a 4x4 deal but I think Oleksiak will be coveted on the market by a lot of teams.

I don't see him returning to Dallas tbh.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
At first I was thinking the same thing... then I remembered Oleksiak is like 4 years older than Carlo.

I think Oleksiak can fetch 5M+ on the open market.
getting a known quantity in some cases is worth an overpayment. you're essentially reducing risk bc the player isn't at the age cliff, isn't projected to reach a certain level, and doesn't have an injury history. you pretty much know exactly what you're going to get, and that has value as you construct (or already have in place) your roster.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I could definitely see Nill just retain what he knows with Oleksiak, not trading Lindell. Giving this same squad another chance since there has been so much difficulty surrounding the team in the last two years.

One thing I was thinking about is how TB deploy their D. They dont load up the top4, but distribute pretty evenly:
Hedman-Rutta
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Savard

Dallas doesnt really have the RD to do this currently and this setup would block Harley, but I'm curious to see how this kind of setup would work opposed to the overload of the top 4. Maybe the reduced minutes would help with effeciency and then its less of a concern for injuries impacting that top 4.
Heiskanen-X (Savard example)
Lindell-Klingberg
Oleskiak/Suter-X (Montour example)
Sekera
Hanley
Harley

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
They badly need to give the third pair more minutes for sure. Also another PK option that doesn't keep Lindell on the ice the full two minutes. They grinded the hell out of the top four this past year and it was dumb.

There is zero reason for Heiskanen, Klingberg or Lindell to play 26 mins on a Wednesday night in the middle of the season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats just what happens when you don't trust your #6 to play more than 10 minutes a night . Sekera played alot of PK but whoever he was paired with barely played.

Finally they trusted a fourth guy with big minutes last season in Oleksiak which at least was a step up from the year before where they only ran the 3 big guys 25 minutes a night and everyone else 15 and less.

So letting Oleksiak go would leave a big hole that you're not guaranteed to replace with a free agent signing. If its a veteran you might end up with a Gonchar or Methot type of guy who just can't bring it anymore.

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yeah I was just thinking this morning how it wouldn't be smart to hand out the contract he likely wants unless he takes a major hometown discount. Makes me very concerned however to see what they pay Oleksiak...thinking $5m possibly? Tough to see how they wouldn't have space unless they hand out big deals to others

I ventured over to this board to post the same link since im a big Coleman fan. I was surprised to hear this, don't see why they couldn't fit him esp if he took a discount. Home state player and already won his cups? I think he would. Ah well, you all would know much better than me what the team would do.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Teams are really managing their bloated contracts well before this expansion draft...

If you're Seattle, do you take a risk on one of the big fish?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Have a feeling heiskanens getting 8x8 .

I'm hoping the cap crunch and his kinda disappointing year drops this a little bit if he goes long term, but it's probably about what I would expect. I question whether his offensive game is good enough to be worth this, in my mind there's not a lot of downside to just bridging him and doing this deal in 2 years instead. He'd still only be around 31 or 32 if you did, which is still really good. Maybe you pay more 2 years from now, but at least you'd have a better idea of who he is, and if he's more of a 30 point guy or a legit play driver. I don't think 8x8 would be horrible, but It seems like a riskier deal today than it did a year ago.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Man I do not want Heiskanen to sign for 8x8. I dont want him to be 29 and the Stars have to figure out another contract for him like Klingberg.

3 year bridge, and then pay him after for 8 years. Might be more cap for the second contract, but you have him till 32 and you get more flexibility in the short term with the flat cap

Reactions: starsfan86

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Thats just what happens when you don't trust your #6 to play more than 10 minutes a night . Sekera played alot of PK but whoever he was paired with barely played.

Finally they trusted a fourth guy with big minutes last season in Oleksiak which at least was a step up from the year before where they only ran the 3 big guys 25 minutes a night and everyone else 15 and less.

So letting Oleksiak go would leave a big hole that you're not guaranteed to replace with a free agent signing. If its a veteran you might end up with a Gonchar or Methot type of guy who just can't bring it anymore.

But there was no reason for them to play so little, it's not like the bottom pair had consistent blunders.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I love Heiskanen but he is definitely not worth 8M right now.
Those are fighting words to some. True words for sure though. He needs to turn it up offensively if he wants that money. Chabot came off a 55 point season when he got 8x8. Miro is a mid 30s guy so far.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jamie Benn pls waive nmc

Not like the team has someone else they need to protect but can't right now. Even if he did i don't see how Dickinson gets protected over him or anyone else who currently isn't protected to.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
But there was no reason for them to play so little, it's not like the bottom pair had consistent blunders.

It got better towards the end of the year after they aquired Vatanen but its also likely that happened because they burned out the big guys too much trying to claw back into a playoff spot .

At least the schedule next season can't be as insane as it was last season after the 1 week break thanks to the power problems.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Seeing as Suter, Parise, Yandle have all been bought out, any chance we see a Jamie Benn buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad