Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Kings are absolutely stacked with prospects. I'd be going after those rather than the pick.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kaliyev + Kempe?

I'd prefer more "premium" positions (I wont stop using that sorry) but man Kaliyev is interesting and has done very little to hurt his stock. Kempe is interesting too as a stop gap and TDL fodder.

Is Bjornfot or Kupari + 8th OA for Garland and one of our 2nds too much? Maybe we send Cappo instead of a 2nd.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'd prefer more "premium" positions (I wont stop using that sorry) but man Kaliyev is interesting and has done very little to hurt his stock. Kempe is interesting too as a stop gap and TDL fodder.

Is Bjornfot or Kupari + 8th OA for Garland and one of our 2nds too much? Maybe we send Cappo instead of a 2nd.
What is Capos value? I feel like it's low. Like he has more value to a cap team where he costs nothing but could potentially break out instead of someone like LA who has cap space for days.

I think if we are adding a B+ prospect to the 8th, we'll be adding something we'd prefer not to. Might be in our best interest to reach a little lower in this case. 8th for Garland is probably about a close as we'll get considering the projection of some of the guys in that range.

Reactions: Grimes

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Dylan Guenther is on the board at 8th overall, I'd be tempted to move Garland for the right to pick him.

Reactions: lanky

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What is Capos value? I feel like it's low. Like he has more value to a cap team where he costs nothing but could potentially break out instead of someone like LA who has cap space for days.

I think if we are adding a B+ prospect to the 8th, we'll be adding something we'd prefer not to. Might be in our best interest to reach a little lower in this case. 8th for Garland is probably about a close as we'll get considering the projection of some of the guys in that range.

Good point, was just looking at LA's prospect pool and they are a little thin on defense, which makes me think Bjornfoot would be difficult.

Basing this off of the last time a pick was traded in that range it was:
7OA + Tony DeAngelo for Stepan and Raanta

Stepan had more proven years than Garland, and plays center but was two years older at the time with a decent chunk of cap. Garland plays wing, a lot less proven seasons but probably has a higher ceiling offensively. I always looked at this trade as
7OA < Stepan
DeAngelo > Raanta

So if 8OA < Garland what is added? Or because of position and less proven seasons is this pretty flat? Depending on who is at 8OA I would be somewhat disappointed with a 1:1 swap. We may have four 2nds, I'd like to use one to pry another prospect.

Reactions: YotesFan47

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Good point, was just looking at LA's prospect pool and they are a little thin on defense, which makes me think Bjornfoot would be difficult.

Basing this off of the last time a pick was traded in that range it was:
7OA + Tony DeAngelo for Stepan and Raanta

Stepan had more proven years than Garland, and plays center but was two years older at the time with a decent chunk of cap. Garland plays wing, a lot less proven seasons but probably has a higher ceiling offensively. I always looked at this trade as
7OA < Stepan
DeAngelo > Raanta

So if 8OA < Garland what is added? Or because of position and less proven seasons is this pretty flat? Depending on who is at 8OA I would be somewhat disappointed with a 1:1 swap. We may have four 2nds, I'd like to use one to pry another prospect.
Personally, I have no interest in spending a lot for a high 1st. Most of the guys I have interest in are late 1sts.

Just thinking out loud here. If we are doing a deal around Garland with LA, I want Vilardi and Kaliyev which means we would need to add something like an early 3rd (which we don't possess in '21 but could acquire a late 2nd via trade) I'd assume. LA is almost done with their rebuild so I don't know that a pick has much value to them. We don't have any defenseman to flip either and that seems to be a point of weakness.

Actually if McTavish is there at 8 I do that deal. 8 (McTavish) for Garland straight up. If not I go for Vilardi + Kaliyev for Garland + something.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Personally, I have no interest in spending a lot for a high 1st. Most of the guys I have interest in are late 1sts.

Just thinking out loud here. If we are doing a deal around Garland with LA, I want Vilardi and Kaliyev which means we would need to add something like an early 3rd (which we don't possess in '21 but could acquire a late 2nd via trade) I'd assume. LA is almost done with their rebuild so I don't know that a pick has much value to them. We don't have any defenseman to flip either and that seems to be a point of weakness.

Actually if McTavish is there at 8 I do that deal. 8 (McTavish) for Garland straight up. If not I go for Vilardi + Kaliyev for Garland + something.
How is LA almost done with their rebuild?

Reactions: Mosby

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
How is LA almost done with their rebuild?
They have a ton of prospects, still have a decent amount of picks and they are starting to look for players that will transition them into a playoff team that fit their core age.

I'd estimate another 2 years of drafting before they make a big move unless someone sends them a gift horse.

I view a true rebuild as a 5+ year event. LA has been rebuilding for 3 and seem to have the prospects to move forward. If their prospects we're flailing in lower leagues I would not have this opinion.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Aleksi Heimosalmi is my Darryl Plandowski pick for the second round. I've listened to some really great, really in-depth interviews with Plandowski. I think he sees defensemen under six foot as undervalued. He seems to really like Northern European players (especially defensemen) and especially Finns (he thinks they’re more blue collar than the pampered Swedes). Kid crushed the U18s in a big coming out party.

Speaking of coming out of nowhere, Brent Johnson has had a meteoric rise. Two seasons ago he was playing in the Dallas U16 league. Then he goes to Little Caesars for one year and this year as a rookie in the USHL he's playing #1D mins and has the best stats of any U20 USHL D, some of the heaviest usage of any D in the draft, and some of the best advanced metrics in the draft, period. RHS D headed to NoDak next year. Despite his production he's known for defensive play. Despite being 5'11 he's known for physical play.

Speaking of non-traditional backgrounds, I’m also really interested in Aidan Hreschuk. He’s from Long Beach and will be a BC Eagle next season. Another analytics darling like Johnson. Also a modern, two way, do it all defenseman like Johnson with a physical element like Johnson.

I would not be disappointed if these were our three selections in the second round.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve spent the last three days sweating, shivering, laying down, and consuming massive amounts of draft media and data. I’ve watched so many videos and read so many profiles. Lol. I’m suddenly brimming with 2nd hand info. This is the least I’ve watched actual amateur hockey since like 2008 but I’m getting caught up on my reading, my fancy stats, and my highlights and shift by shift videos. Haha.

Reactions: Mosby and SniperHF

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It seems that the 2021 2nd we got with Ladd was Colorado's, which I think is the final pick in round 2.

CBJ pick 36
AZ pick 42
COL pick 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad