Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Scouching was my primary draft resource this spring. He was harsh on Johnson and even more harsh on Sillinger. These are the two guys that may have attracted our scouts attention. I don't know what to think.
Not exactly harsh on Johnson. He said he needs to simplify. But he also said he’s likely the most skilled forward in the draft.

I see Kent Johnson as similar Elias Pettersson. Maybe Hayton can be a poor man’s Horvat.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Scouching was my primary draft resource this spring. He was harsh on Johnson and even more harsh on Sillinger. These are the two guys that may have attracted our scouts attention. I don't know what to think.

Everyone else is praising Johnson to the moon and his stats and eye test both pass. Not a huge fan of Sillinger, give me Mctavish or Johnson.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Names I like listed in order, though we probably won't get 1-3 of the first 3 unless we get a 1st from someone.

Kent Johnson: Extremely skilled forward, excellent hockey IQ, great center. Game will translate well, should be good on both ends of the ice. Room to grow and already 6'1.

Zach Bolduc: Played with Lafrenierre but clearly has the tools to carve out a niche for himself. Great speed and agility, wicked shot. Again 6'1 and should grow, should have great entry zone stats.

Danill Chayka: Big D (6'3) with excellent reach and all the tools to be a #1D. I think he'll fall because of COVID, but this kid is a low risk pick who will establish himself as a stay at home in the NHL in no time at all. He has a decent amount of offensive upside.

Fedor Svechkov: He may currently be rising but he's another player I think might fall in the end. Great two way center, great tools and great IQ. Reminiscent of Dvorak.

Ayrton Martino: Good IQ, great slippery forward who's a bit undersized but very good offensively. Will be deadly on the PP and on the rush.

Scott Morrow: Slippery defenceman who has great offensive instincts and is big enough to handle most players at the NHL level. Could be the steal of the draft if he can put it all together. Has all the tools.

I pray that there is never another Chayka in the Coyotes org. #TooSoon

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Of the top 9, Edvinsson is the one I'm least interested in.

McTavish and Beniers are my top 2.

I really like Guenther, Clarke and Johnson.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Praying that one of Johnson or Mctavish will be there at 9. If they aren't, well, there's a bunch of other C that we could draft but those are the two most exciting ones. Just don't draft Cossa or a d-man in the 1st and we'll be fine.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
This is going to sounds wacked ,.but I would be very happy with Fedor Svechkov... i dont know if there is still a "Russian issue" , but this guy would be great IMO. I know he is lower down the list..

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
This is going to sounds wacked ,.but I would be very happy with Fedor Svechkov... i dont know if there is still a "Russian issue" , but this guy would be great IMO. I know he is lower down the list..

One of the guys I was looking at along with Chayka. Although we probably stay away from Chayka because of his name :laugh:

Great two way forward, I'd be happy to move back and get him. This draft is such a crap shoot no idea where anyone is going.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So what’s the consensus top 9?

From Bobby Mac:

“There’s not much at all separating Beniers, Edvinsson, Eklund, McTavish and Guenther. Any one of them may be worthy of No. 2 honours depending upon the preference of the individual teams ranking them.

And here’s where it gets even more interesting and/or confusing. While no other prospect than the five listed above got a vote at No. 2, the Nos. 7, 8 and 9 players on the TSN list also received notable support as top 3 to 5 picks.

Take Barrie Colts defenceman Brandt Clarke, No. 7 on the TSN list, for example. Five of 10 scouts ranked him in the Top 5, including one No. 3 vote. Clarke is an offensive defenceman with elite hockey sense and skill who is projected to run an NHL power play, although he has a bit of awkward, knock-kneed skating style.

University of Michigan recruit Luke Hughes, who played this season for the U.S. Under-18 program, is No. 8 on our list but he also received multiple Top 5 votes and none lower than No. 9.

Hughes, of course, is the younger brother of New Jersey centre Jack Hughes and Vancouver Canuck defenceman Quinn Hughes. He’s also, at 6-foot-2, the biggest of the Hughes boys and scouts see him a potential offensive defenceman who has the size and range to play a solid two-way game.

University of Michigan skilled freshman forward Kent Johnson, No. 9 on the TSN list, also got multiple Top 5 votes and none outside of the Top 10. The Canadian from British Columbia is widely hailed as having the purest skill level or best hands in the entire draft, with a penchant for scoring and creating highlight-reel goals.

If there’s virtually no separation on our list between Beniers, Edvinsson, Eklund, McTavish and Guenther, any one of Clarke, Hughes or Johnson could break into the Top 5 and supplant any of the top five prospects behind Power. It’s that tight.”

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If we draft a goalie i may cry.

Ok, I get it, you think goalies shouldn't be drafted in the first or second round.

If the idea is to tank for 3 years, waiting for AM, picking a goalie now should be good timing though. So I can understand you fear it will happen. As this new GM actually is rumoured to know what he is doing.

Sorry for another stupid rant then. ;)

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
One of the guys I was looking at along with Chayka. Although we probably stay away from Chayka because of his name :laugh:

Great two way forward, I'd be happy to move back and get him. This draft is such a crap shoot no idea where anyone is going.

Button analysis ( take it with a grain of salt ) comparable to Pavel Datsyuk... Maybe trade down to get him ?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ok, I get it, you think goalies shouldn't be drafted in the first or second round.

If the idea is to tank for 3 years, waiting for AM, picking a goalie now should be good timing though. So I can understand you fear it will happen. As this new GM actually is rumoured to know what he is doing.

Sorry for another stupid rant then. ;)
And by all accounts the top 2 goalies may be worth a 1st. I will just need a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad