GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - 8:00 P.M. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Just playing devils advocate here but I doubt he’ll come out and say he was fully aware of the events that took place when he was there and decided to keep quiet, you know, just to stay out of trouble.

He didn’t stay “quiet”. He flat out said he didn’t know

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I reject the idea that picking a guy ranked in the 40s-50s on various boards at the end of the 1st round in this draft is even a reach, or at least a reach worth complaining about.

Hockey executives aren’t infallible but they probably are more informed than a guy who says a player has a 3% chance of becoming an NHLer because his chart based on 8 games in some Danish league says so.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I fully admit I know jack shit about like 90% of all these kids, so I'm not excited or upset about Stillman. He does sound like the type of player we need more of, and given how everybody :eek::eek::eek::eek:ed their pants over Tampa's third line I would imagine that type of player may be more sought after now than before so maybe he wouldn't have been there if we'd traded down, or maybe there just wasn't a trade down that made sense.
I don’t mind the pick so much, it’s just frustrating that we’ve bad for years and had so few high picks because of the lost 2nd that we haven’t drafted a lot of high end elite offensive guys in this part of the draft. I’m more generally frustrated about that and getting a sexier offensive producer would have made me feel better because I feel like you might be able to get a guy like Stillman a little latter in the draft.

It is what it is and next years draft is looking real good but it’s strong in RD so we might not draft an elite offensive forward next year either (depending on what picks we have and Fitz, sadly, doesn’t seem interested in bringing in draft capital while also making trades the way, a team like Carolina does).

Stillman could end up being really useful and even a productive middle six/second line forward but there’s level of high end forward that at the top of the draft that we just don’t tap into that much, despite sucking. I have years of frustration over it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I reject the idea that picking a guy ranked in the 40s-50s on various boards at the end of the 1st round in this draft is even a reach, or at least a reach worth complaining about.

Hockey executives aren’t infallible but they probably are more informed than a guy who says a player has a 3% chance of becoming an NHLer because his chart based on 8 games in some Danish league says so.

And the ones who aren't right any more than the fans generally find themselves sitting with them sooner rather than later

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Paging @StevenToddIves please make some sense of that

I love the pick. Zachary L'Heureux was the best "true power forward" available in the late first round, but he went two picks earlier. Stillman was second. We're talking a high floor player, a power forward with compete and physicality and good -- not great -- offensive upside.

We need to remind ourselves that the 2021 draft is not nearly as deep as 2020 or 2019 -- forwards drafted in the top 10 have ceilings of 70 point guys. So, this is not a draft where there is a Pastrnak available in the late 20s. The Devils went and got a guy who should be a third-line power winger -- which the NJ organization sorely lacks -- with the upside of a second line power winger and the downside of a 4th line power winger.

So, I like the pick. Stillman's high compete and high IQ give him a very good chance of hitting his upside as a 25-25-50 guy who plays two way hockey and hits anything that moves. This is a kid who flattened 6'5 Simon Edvinsson in the U-18 tourney, a kid who crashes creases and forechecks like a motherf--ker. The Devils have been one of the softer teams in the NHL for quite some time, and Chase Stillman will help alleviate this.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just playing devils advocate here but I doubt he’ll come out and say he was fully aware of the events that took place when he was there and decided to keep quiet, you know, just to stay out of trouble.
Everyone has to make their own choices, I have no sympathy for the reasons people lie for terrible shit they did. He would have likely been neck deep in the cover-up, so I get why he’s lying.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I mean I'd be lying if I didn't say Fitz going (ahem) off board made me a little nervous - particularly last year when he reached even more for Muk mostly based off of 8-9 games at the start of a KHL season - but the guy's been a GM for two years, we haven't seen enough to know definitively whether he is smarter than the average HF cynic or not. When Steve Yzerman goes off the so-called board, he's got enough of a track record to give him the benefit of the doubt he knows something. Fitz doesn't get that benefit of the doubt yet, but he will if the Muk/Stillman type picks start hitting.

But it’s not just Fitz its Castron. Doesn’t he have enough? I don’t think Fitz is going into the 29th pick saying. Hey guys I want Stillman and everyone is saying no and he just said screw it.

The Devils wanted a GM that listened more to the group unlike the traditional way Shero was. So this wasn’t just a Fitz pick. None of these picks have been. Castron has had a part in that and his track record is pretty solid.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He didn’t stay “quiet”. He flat out said he didn’t know

What I’m trying to say is that he’s not going to throw himself under the bus for it to back up and level him a second time.

It sucks, it’s not the right thing to do but that’s how he decided to play his cards, unfortunately.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Especially the OHL kids. This is where actual scouts make their paycheck. They have all the tape on these kids they can get, they have actually spoken and interviewed these kids.

They are working with a much larger data set then anyone on here has. They have to use said data correctly, though even that isn't a guarantee, but you have to trust your guys in thr room with the information they have, not what some schmucks on a message board guessing at names thinks

I don't understand why you're being an arrogant ass hat about this. We're not just guessing names, but keep posting stuff like that.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I mean I'd be lying if I didn't say Fitz going (ahem) off board made me a little nervous - particularly last year when he reached even more for Muk mostly based off of 8-9 games at the start of a KHL season - but the guy's been a GM for two years, we haven't seen enough to know definitively whether he is smarter than the average HF cynic or not. When Steve Yzerman goes off the so-called board, he's got enough of a track record to give him the benefit of the doubt he knows something. Fitz doesn't get that benefit of the doubt yet, but he will if the Muk/Stillman type picks start hitting.

It really does seem like Yzerman is trying to replicate what he did in Tampa. Remains to be seen if he will hit again.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
So you think we could have gotten Meier for a package that was highlighted by the 29th pick? This is the pipe dream part I was referring to.

Not sure if it would have to be "highlighted" by the pick. Could have just been a piece. It could easily be Zacha +29

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don't understand why you're being an arrogant ass hat about this. We're not just guessing names, but keep posting stuff like that.

It's more comforting to think that your scouts have some super secret insight into a player, and that's why they took him, rather than they just made a dumb reach and took a 3rd round talent with a 1st round pick.

Reactions: dk3790

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good lord what are the Rangers doing? :eek:

200.gif

Reactions: Dialamo

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
I like the Stillman pick. Perfect type of forward we are lacking. I didnt have him pegged in the 1st personally, but this is a pick that might make Fitzy look very clever when hes a 20G middle 6 guy with sand paper that we are lacking.

Also, I fully expect we will come away with Tarasenko on day 2. Probably just wishful thinking but I have a feeling.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I don't understand how folks in here can make definitive statements that a kid is a scrub based on little to no information.

You do not know we left better talent on the board. You don't. You have not scouted they kids. It's out to admit you don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad