GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - 8:00 P.M. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
the funny (not funny obviously) part about all this is Bergevin was in the Blackhawks organization back 10-12 years ago when this was supposedly going on
Holy Shit, you’re right, Bergevin was Director of Player Personnel at Chicago in 2009-10 & 10-11 and then was AGM in 2011-12 before getting the GM job in Montreal the next season. Wow, he was in the thick of it. Wow.

edit: I googled and Bergevin says he was “not aware” sexual assault allegation at the time so he’s a liar apparently.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Holy Shit, you’re right, Bergevin was Director of Player Personnel at Chicago in 2009-10 & 10-11 and then was AGM in 2011-12 before getting the GM job in Montreal the next season. Wow, he was in the thick of it. Wow.
Apparently the "Director of Player Personnel" knew nothing about a serious incident impacting players on the team.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Which has been the talk forever now, that this draft was going to be even more of a wildcard than normal because of the pandemic.

Especially the OHL kids. This is where actual scouts make their paycheck. They have all the tape on these kids they can get, they have actually spoken and interviewed these kids.

They are working with a much larger data set then anyone on here has. They have to use said data correctly, though even that isn't a guarantee, but you have to trust your guys in thr room with the information they have, not what some schmucks on a message board guessing at names thinks

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I fully admit I know jack shit about like 90% of all these kids, so I'm not excited or upset about Stillman. He does sound like the type of player we need more of, and given how everybody :eek::eek::eek::eek:ed their pants over Tampa's third line I would imagine that type of player may be more sought after now than before so maybe he wouldn't have been there if we'd traded down, or maybe there just wasn't a trade down that made sense.

LOL at HF's autocorrect of that word.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Which has been the talk forever now, that this draft was going to be even more of a wildcard than normal because of the pandemic.

I mean I'd be lying if I didn't say Fitz going (ahem) off board made me a little nervous - particularly last year when he reached even more for Muk mostly based off of 8-9 games at the start of a KHL season - but the guy's been a GM for two years, we haven't seen enough to know definitively whether he is smarter than the average HF cynic or not. When Steve Yzerman goes off the so-called board, he's got enough of a track record to give him the benefit of the doubt he knows something. Fitz doesn't get that benefit of the doubt yet, but he will if the Muk/Stillman type picks start hitting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He claims to have “not been aware” of the sexual assault allegations at the time. So I’m going to claim he’s a liar.
Or he was incompetent, if that is the defense he wants to go for. That job title usually comes with player support duties, so it was likely his job to know what was going on with the players on the team and to support them in their development and integration to the organization.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
interest was reported by multiple prominent reporters, including the Sharks best beat reporter

not sure how it was "pipe dream"
But an actual trade would have required a lot more then the 29th pick. The pipe dream part was that pick being a central part of the trade.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
When most of the Devils picks have had some degree of success, I can’t complain about the picks. I knew going in after 15-20 range it would be a crapshoot. This is Weeks’ fault for getting everyone riled up. If the media scouts were sooooo good, they wouldn’t be getting paid by ESPN..

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I fully admit I know jack shit about like 90% of all these kids, so I'm not excited or upset about Stillman. He does sound like the type of player we need more of, and given how everybody :eek::eek::eek::eek:ed their pants over Tampa's third line I would imagine that type of player may be more sought after now than before so maybe he wouldn't have been there if we'd traded down, or maybe there just wasn't a trade down that made sense.

LOL at HF's autocorrect of that word.

The real reason people shit their pants over TB’s “3rd line” (it was really their 2nd) is because Gourde and Coleman are legitimately great. It’s the play style on top of the fact that they’re great 2nd liners who are far closer to 1st than 3rd liners. If all 3 were just good snarly 3rd liners like Goodrow it’s not the same. It worked because Gourde and Coleman are amazing

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
DAY 1 WINNERS AND LOSERS
WINNERS:

Minnesota Wild: One of the best first rounds I think I have ever seen. If you had told me that some team would walk away with two top 10 talents with no pick higher than 20, I would have called you f***ing stupid. Well, here we are. Absolutely phenomenal round. Brilliant move trading up to take Wallstedt, and Lambos fell right into their laps. Could not have went better.
Los Angeles Kings: The rich get richer. Brandt Clarke, my #1 in the draft, fell right into their laps. At #8! Absolute steal of a draft pick. They now have probably the two best prospects in the league in Clarke and Byfield on their team. Absolutely ridiculous.
Boston Bruins: Made the easy pick, got a top 5 talent at #21. Couldn't have went any better.
Columbus Blue Jackets: I don't love their picks outside of Ceuleumans. But their prospect pool gets ridiculously deeper after having 3 first rounds pick this year. Job well done.

LOSERS:
Ottawa Senators: Reached hard. Got the guy they wanted, clearly, but there are just so many better options on the board at that point, I just have no idea how you can defend taking Boucher that high.
Edmonton Oilers: One of the worst trade downs I have ever seen. Potential Vezina winner is sitting at your doorstep and you TRADE DOWN. UNBELIEVABLE. And to make matters worse, they take Bourgeault, a guy who I don't even have in my top 55. Absolutely embarrassing from Edmonton.
Montreal Canadiens: What the f*** are they doing. Seriously. The kid literally said "Don't take me" and they take him anyways. In the first round no less! The kid would have been available in the fourth at the bare minimum, so if they did feel absolutely so inclined to take him, they could have had him so much later. Horrendous management from Montreal.
St. Louis Blues: Just hate the pick. That's all there is to it.

Reactions: Ripshot 43 and nugg

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He claims to have “not been aware” of the sexual assault allegations at the time. So I’m going to claim he’s a liar.

Just playing devils advocate here but I doubt he’ll come out and say he was fully aware of the events that took place when he was there and decided to keep quiet, you know, just to stay out of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad