GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - 8:00 P.M. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Maybe it's a bit of a gamble and they feel they can talk to him and say "look we get it, you take your time though"

Kid could just say nah I'm out I guess haha

After all the stuff with the Hawks that has been surfacing from 2010 and one of the leagues happiest nights, it’s just a terrible way to end it. Bergevin should’ve known better.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t believe the horrific decision by Montreal tonight btw, Bergevin and everyone in that organization should be ashamed

No excuses for Montreal. PR nightmare aside, the morality is so awful. Is Mailloux so much better than Heimosalmi or Bar that they could not resist? And on a purely unemotional level -- with Mailloux's stock so affected by his poor decision-making, they possibly could have had him in the 7th round.

Just an atrocious, atrocious pick.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No excuses for Montreal. PR nightmare aside, the morality is so awful. Is Mailloux so much better than Heimosalmi or Bar that they could not resist? And on a purely unemotional level -- with Mailloux's stock so affected by his poor decision-making, they possibly could have had him in the 7th round.

From what I read he isn't. It's not like he was someone ranked top 15 that plummeted as far as I have seen.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What happened to Wallstedt? Everyone said he was a consensus top 10 pick and he went 20 while a different goalie went ahead of him.
Cossa is crazy big and athletic and had a monster season in a WHL, one of the best ever, albeit a shortened one.

People might have been slightly disappointed with Wallstedt’s SHL stats. There hasn’t been many U19 SHL starters but Wallstedt’s numbers were worse than Markstrom’s numbers in 2008 when he was drafted 31st.

Wallstedt was unique phenom, he had a crazy good season at 15 as a starter in J20 Nationall, starting 25 games with 2.28 GAA and .921 SV%,
and no 15 year old has even stated in that league. He has had done well since then but maybe people assumed he was a generational talent because of that early success but he’s merely a really excellent goalie. (That’s interpretating the stats I know f*** all about goalies.)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

He also asked not to be drafted. Even if he’s changed his mind now as a 1st round pick, his instinct to avoid a public shit show was the right one.,

This is a garbage statement of nonsense “making the commitment to accompany Logan on his journey by providing him with the tools to mature and the necessary support to guide him in his development. We are also committed to raising awareness among our players the repercussions of their actions on the lives of others”.

A reporter should demand they specifically explain the concrete steps that they will take to do whatever the hell they are blathering on about here. This is as bad as the atrocious Arizona Coyotes PR nightmare foot in mouth statements after drafting Mitchell. It’s like the Habs front office paid zero attention or think they are somehow doing a better job here. Dumb f***s.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I don’t want to add a question mark to the roster. I want someone who is a sure thing. I’m not convinced Tarasenko is a better finisher than Yegor at this point.

OEL and Risto are far away from being sure things and look at the cost of those trades...

That said, I'm with you. Not really interested in Tarasenko unless the price is super low.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The weird thing to me is that he wasn't even that highly ranked. Not that I at all agree with it but I can understand if he was like a top 10 ranked pick that somebody would overlook character issues and take him in the first round. But the fact that he wasn't, and actually requested not to be drafted just makes Montreal look even worse.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
What struck me about it was that wasn't exactly the understated reaction of someone EXPECTING it to happen, the way we all were. It was the reaction of someone who wasn't exactly plugged in enough to even think it was a possibility :laugh:

I loved hearing how Jack found out Luke was being drafted. Fitz sent him a text of a picture of Luke’s Jersey hanging in the stall and Jack immediately calls Fitz in excitement. I couldn’t imagine the emotions as Jack saw the text will the Devils were on the clock.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
After all the stuff with the Hawks that has been surfacing from 2010 and one of the leagues happiest nights, it’s just a terrible way to end it. Bergevin should’ve known better.

Oh yes so let's destroy the teenager's life because of the mistake he made as a kid?

It's about playing hockey, not ethics competition.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
What a load of crap. The young guy excuse holds no water.

I knew better at 17 years old, I'm sure you did too.

I've done some moronic and immature things as a teenager. A lot of us did, however I think a lot of us forgot.

People who are average or below average intellectually (the usual IQ range for sports players) tend to do stupid things even more often.

I don't think that NHL is full of saints, I think that most of them just didn't get caught.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I've done some moronic and immature things as a teenager. A lot of us did, however I think a lot of us forgot.

People who are average or below average intellectually (the usual IQ range for sports players) tend to do stupid things even more often.

I don't think that NHL is full of saints, I think that most of them just didn't get caught.

Look, I'm not against this guy having a career and you are no doubt correct about Joe Average NHL player being far from innocent...

But the point stands that this was a horrible look and outcome for the league.

It does no good for anyone involved. The player, the victim, the franchise, the GM and the league. Everyone looks bad and the victim carries more pain.

Marc Bergervin looks like a moustache twirling baddie for this. Just bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad