GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - 8:00 P.M. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I like the Stillman pick. Perfect type of forward we are lacking. I didnt have him pegged in the 1st personally, but this is a pick that might make Fitzy look very clever when hes a 20G middle 6 guy with sand paper that we are lacking.

Also, I fully expect we will come away with Tarasenko on day 2. Probably just wishful thinking but I have a feeling.

Please no

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I like the Stillman pick. Perfect type of forward we are lacking. I didnt have him pegged in the 1st personally, but this is a pick that might make Fitzy look very clever when hes a 20G middle 6 guy with sand paper that we are lacking.

Also, I fully expect we will come away with Tarasenko on day 2. Probably just wishful thinking but I have a feeling.

Unless we're trading a roster player how are we doing this? We have no two and the Blues aren't taking a three back for him after refusing presumably better deals.

Reactions: MartysBetter1996

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Please no

I have no idea why you’re so against adding a proven winger, who’s coming off an injury which I’ll give you, for pennies on the dollar who’s on a 2 year deal.

There’s literally zero downfall in making this move, that’s if the return is a mid level prospect.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Unless we're trading a roster player how are we doing this? We have no two and the Blues aren't taking a three back for him after refusing presumably better deals.

I don't think there's been any reports on what they have turned down, have there been?

It could be a prospect, which would be fine, depending on the prospect

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't understand how folks in here can make definitive statements that a kid is a scrub based on little to no information.

You do not know we left better talent on the board. You don't. You have not scouted they kids. It's out to admit you don't know.

Again, not sure why the assumption here. It's not just me, but a few of us here love doing this stuff. We do about as much as we could without actually physically going to the games around the world (that would literally be an actual scout).

No we do not know everything, or are 100% right, but drop the "you don't know jack shit" thing...thanks.

For the record, I'm not hating on the player, I just think we passed on high upside players to try to pick a player that fits a certain style...in the 1st round. I'm not a fan of that. Sorry that you seem to have an issue with that.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have no idea why you’re so against adding a proven winger, who’s coming off an injury which I’ll give you, for pennies on the dollar who’s on a 2 year deal.

There’s literally zero downfall in making this move, that’s if the return is a mid level prospect.

What is it now, 3 shoulder surgeries? He's a shooter who possibly won't be a good shooter anymore if he has one good shoulder. Too much of a question mark. I don't want question marks.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
What is it now, 3 shoulder surgeries? He's a shooter who possibly won't be a good shooter anymore if he has one good shoulder. Too much of a question mark. I don't want question marks.

We don't have a better option and if he operates ATM just half of what he used to, for the price we'd be giving up, he'd be a major improvement compared to what we have right now. He would be taking the spot of a kid who should be playing in the bottom #6.

I see zero risk in trying to acquire Tarasenko.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
I think a B prospect like Boqvist or Clarke and a 3rd or conditional 2022 2nd with us taking full salary will get it done.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
What happened to Walldstadt? Everyone said he was a consensus top 10 pick and he went 20 while a different goalie went ahead of him.

So so year, and I have to wonder if cossa's size played a role. Some people like their goalies huge. Wallstedt isn't small, but he's not hulking either. Ultimately, I think it was a mistake. We'll see though

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
RDs left in order of STI's rankings. (Numbers are his overall player rank):

27. RD Aleksi Heimosalmi, Assat Finland Jr. despite being undersized without elite skating, Heimosalmi has defied the odds to become a complete defenseman who can dazzle with his high-end passing and end-to-end rushes.

28. RD Jack Bar, Chicago USHL
I couldn’t love this kid more — lacking fanfare because a lack of any singular dynamic quality, Bar is simply excellent both offensively and defensively — a 6’2-195 all-purpose stud with very good skates and an elite hockey IQ.

38. RD Vincent Iorio, Brandon WHL this 6’3-195 defender has improved his skating, defensive acumen and play with the puck dramatically in the past two seasons — if he continues his stratospheric development arc, he projects to be a stellar, all-situations 3/4 D who also gets heavy minutes on the PK and the 2PP.

40. RD Jake Martin, US-NTDP every year people wonder how elite defensemen like Jake Slavin and Mark Giordano fall to the later rounds, but the answer is easy — because draft pundits pay too much attention to scoring totals for defensive-minded blueliners. All Jake Martin does is play air-tight defense and make outstanding decisions with the puck. He’s a stud who is going to play a ton of tough minutes in the NHL.

53. RD Scott Morrow, Shattuck-St. Mary’s USHS mix of size (6’2-195), elite skating and high-end offensive skill is tantalizing, but his lack of any real competition to date or defensive commitment make him a pick without a lot of risk — though there is no denying the potential payoff is humongous.

66. RD Ty Gallagher, US-NTDP a player who gets the most out of his nature-given skills, Gallagher is not dynamic offensively or a true-shut down defender, but he plays with extraordinary intelligence and extreme competence in every facet of the game.

75. RD Ryan Ufko, Chicago USHL the fourth player in my rankings from the powerhouse Chicago Steel program, Ufko is undersized and lacks blinding speed but is a clever offense generator and responsible defender.

89. RD Jack Matier, Ottawa OHL a player for Devils fans to know, since he’s a RD playing for the Devils biggest draft pipeline in recent years — Matier is huge (6’3-185) and skates pretty well, his defense is sound and though his offense needs work, this is a kid who could be available in the 4th/5th rounds.

94. RD Brent Johnson, Sioux Falls USHL this is a lightning-quick skater with tremendous offensive ability who is often ranked in the first round because of comparisons to players like Shayne Gostisbehere — however, also like Gostisbehere he struggles mightily with any iota of physicality and all things defense.

95. RW Josh Doan, Chicago USHL another NHL legacy, Sean’s son might lack the top-line upside but he’s a smart player with size and grit who actually skates better than his father at the same age. A very high floor as a 4th line grinder, if his offense develops he could be a middle-six candidate.

I hope we snag at least a few of these RDs, but the odds of the better rated ones are pretty slim at this point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Im not sure anything will top that moment watching Jack go wild after the pick. Everybody I know, even my rival friends, were super happy and excited for them seeing that.

i dont even have kids yet, where are these damn emotions coming from!

What struck me about it was that wasn't exactly the understated reaction of someone EXPECTING it to happen, the way we all were. It was the reaction of someone who wasn't exactly plugged in enough to even think it was a possibility :laugh:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No team was willing to take him with zero retention plus offering up enough for him and was a place Tarasenko was willing to go.
Now it’s been said that he is willing to go anywhere

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
RDs left in order of STI's rankings. (Numbers are his overall player rank):

27. RD Aleksi Heimosalmi, Assat Finland Jr. despite being undersized without elite skating, Heimosalmi has defied the odds to become a complete defenseman who can dazzle with his high-end passing and end-to-end rushes.

28. RD Jack Bar, Chicago USHL
I couldn’t love this kid more — lacking fanfare because a lack of any singular dynamic quality, Bar is simply excellent both offensively and defensively — a 6’2-195 all-purpose stud with very good skates and an elite hockey IQ.

38. RD Vincent Iorio, Brandon WHL this 6’3-195 defender has improved his skating, defensive acumen and play with the puck dramatically in the past two seasons — if he continues his stratospheric development arc, he projects to be a stellar, all-situations 3/4 D who also gets heavy minutes on the PK and the 2PP.

40. RD Jake Martin, US-NTDP every year people wonder how elite defensemen like Jake Slavin and Mark Giordano fall to the later rounds, but the answer is easy — because draft pundits pay too much attention to scoring totals for defensive-minded blueliners. All Jake Martin does is play air-tight defense and make outstanding decisions with the puck. He’s a stud who is going to play a ton of tough minutes in the NHL.

53. RD Scott Morrow, Shattuck-St. Mary’s USHS mix of size (6’2-195), elite skating and high-end offensive skill is tantalizing, but his lack of any real competition to date or defensive commitment make him a pick without a lot of risk — though there is no denying the potential payoff is humongous.

66. RD Ty Gallagher, US-NTDP a player who gets the most out of his nature-given skills, Gallagher is not dynamic offensively or a true-shut down defender, but he plays with extraordinary intelligence and extreme competence in every facet of the game.

75. RD Ryan Ufko, Chicago USHL the fourth player in my rankings from the powerhouse Chicago Steel program, Ufko is undersized and lacks blinding speed but is a clever offense generator and responsible defender.

89. RD Jack Matier, Ottawa OHL a player for Devils fans to know, since he’s a RD playing for the Devils biggest draft pipeline in recent years — Matier is huge (6’3-185) and skates pretty well, his defense is sound and though his offense needs work, this is a kid who could be available in the 4th/5th rounds.

94. RD Brent Johnson, Sioux Falls USHL this is a lightning-quick skater with tremendous offensive ability who is often ranked in the first round because of comparisons to players like Shayne Gostisbehere — however, also like Gostisbehere he struggles mightily with any iota of physicality and all things defense.

95. RW Josh Doan, Chicago USHL another NHL legacy, Sean’s son might lack the top-line upside but he’s a smart player with size and grit who actually skates better than his father at the same age. A very high floor as a 4th line grinder, if his offense develops he could be a middle-six candidate.

I hope we snag at least a few of these RDs, but the odds of the better rated ones are pretty slim at this point.

Matier is a very strong possibility for the Devils in the mid-rounds -- they've undeniably seen a ton of him with the Ottawa 67s. Ufko is also a strong possibility for the mid-rounds. Best case scenario is Bar falls to the 3rd round and the Devils nab him there.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
And a late round pick is not a question mark? Please. Guy is a perennial 30g guy. He had two botched operations but had it fixed and was healthy. Yes it’s a gamble but why make it sound like we are giving up a chance to draft Connor Bedard in exchange for a scrub. It’s two years to get a sniper for pennies on the dollar. Give Jack someone that can actually finish. Or should we go after a safer bet and sign someone like Wayne facking Simmonds to play on his wing again?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
And a late round pick is not a question mark? Please. Guy is a perennial 30g guy. He had two botched operations but had it fixed and was healthy. Yes it’s a gamble but why make it sound like we are giving up a chance to draft Connor Bedard in exchange for a scrub. It’s two years to get a sniper for pennies on the dollar. Give Jack someone that can actually finish. Or should we go after a safer bet and sign someone like Wayne facking Simmonds to play on his wing again?

I don’t want to add a question mark to the roster. I want someone who is a sure thing. I’m not convinced Tarasenko is a better finisher than Yegor at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille