2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So I rarely get to see any of these guys. So I read, watch highlight stuff.

I read Sasha skates very well, and will be able to beat NHL D outside. I also read be needs to work on his skating. You would think it isn't that subjective. Anyway, also read he is far ftom average, as in great passes, with high IQ and vision. Now if he had all of that and could skate, would think he would at least be top 10. So I dunno

His edge work & agility is excellent that allows him to work effectively in tight spaces and change direction quickly. His startups needs work and his open ice speed is not great. He needs power skating lessons.

There's no real WOW factor with Pastujov, at least there wasn't at the u18s. US lost in Quarters and their forwards were mostly unimpressive. He showed a good one timer and quick hands, but nothing really stood out.

The best players on that team were on D and in goal (Mbereko). They got a lot of offense from their D namely Gallagher, Behrens, and Hutson.

Reactions: yianik

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
His edge work & agility is excellent that allows him to work effectively in tight spaces and change direction quickly. His startups needs work and his open ice speed is not great. He needs power skating

There's no real WOW factor with Pastujov, at least there wasn't at the u18s. US lost in Quarters and their forwards were mostly unimpressive. He showed a good one timer and quick hands, but nothing really stood out.

The best players on that team were on D and in goal (Mbereko). They got a lot of offense from their D namely Gallagher, Behrens, and Hutson.

Thanks for that.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I find it hard to believe he'll get by both Columbus and Calgary. Think he'll go top 10.

As the worst team to make the playoffs, we'll pick 17th. With the potential for McTavish and Othmann moving up maybe someone falls like Newhook did the year we took Caufield.
Pinelli is probably moving up a bit as well. He might still be in our ball park though, around 20-ish is a possibility. I'd consider him, there's a lot to like there.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Where we drafting this year, assuming we get swept in the 1st round? 16?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Defenceman Simon Edvinsson spent the season bouncing around Swedish leagues. Signed with Frolunda, he got in 10 regular-season games and 1 playoff game in the SHL, putting up one assist. Loaned to Vasteras in the Allsvenskan, he had more success, with five assists in 14 regular-season games and a goal and two assists for three points in six playoff games. Edvinsson also played 14 games for Frolunda’s junior team in the J20, putting up a goal and five assists for six points.

In 2019-20 Edvinsson put up six points in eight games in the J20. He also played 19 games in the J18, scoring four goals and 16 assists for 20 points in that time. He also put up two assists in his only playoff game before the COVID crisis forced the league to shut down. Edvinsson was also a star for Team Sweden at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring five points in five tournament games.

2021 NHL Draft #8: Simon Edvinsson Scouting Report

The University of Michigan Wolverines featured a number of top freshmen this season, and winger Kent Johnson is the third member of the team ranked in our top ten prospects for the 2021 NHL Draft. Johnson scored nine goals and added 18 assists for 26 points in 27 games this season. He was named to the Big Ten All-Rookie Team and was an Honourable Mention for the conference All-Star Team. Unfortunately, Johnson and his Wolverines Teammates were forced to withdraw from the Frozen Four Tournament due to a Covid-19 Outbreak amongst the team.

In 2019-20, Johnson was the CJHL’s Top Forward and the BCHL MVP after leading the league in goals, assists, and points. He had 41 goals and 60 assists for 101 points in 52 games for the Trail Smoke Eaters. He also put up seven points in four playoff games. The Port Moody, British Columbia native played for Team Canada Red at the Under-19 World Junior A Hockey Challenge scoring a goal and an assist in four games. His WHL rights are owned by the Everett Silvertips who drafted him 208th overall in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #9: Kent Johnson Scouting Report

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Swedish winger Fabian Lysell has spent most of the season in a bottom-line role for Lulea HF in the SHL. Playing against men, the 17-year-old put up just two goals and an assist for three points in 26 games this year. However, he has done a lot better playing against his own age group. In 11 games in the J20 league, Lysell scored three goals and 10 assists for 13 points. He played for Team Sweden in the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Lysell has put up three goals and six assists for nine points in seven tournament games.

In 2019-20 he bounced around the Swedish junior leagues. In 11 games in the J20, he put up one goal and five assists for six points. He was incredible in the J18 league, putting up 18 goals and 22 assists for 40 points in 18 games. Lysell also played for Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge scoring five goals and two assists for seven points in five tournament games.

2021 NHL Draft #10: Fabian Lysell Scouting Report

The United States National Team Development Program has produced a number of top NHL prospects in recent years. This year should be no different, and top-line centre Chaz Lucius is a player who should be highly sought after in this year’s draft class. Lucius played 13 games with the Under-18 squad this year, putting up 13 goals and seven assists for 20 points. He has battled through injuries in this strange COVID altered season, and thus missed the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Despite this, Lucius is expected to be ready for the 2021-22 season. He is committed to playing for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers next year.

In 2019-20 Lucius put up 31 goals and 19 assists for 50 points in 46 games for the US NTDP Under-17 team. He also got a short call-up to the Under-18 team, putting up two assists in six games. Lucius was impressive at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. In six games he scored seven goals and three assists for 10 points, helping the US squad to a silver medal. Lucius led the tournament in goals and points and was named to the All-Star Team.

2021 NHL Draft #11: Chaz Lucius Scouting Report

With the OHL Season never getting started, top NHL Draft Prospect Mason McTavish went overseas to play in Switzerland. Playing for EHC Olten in the second Swiss division, McTavish put up nine goals and two assists for 11 points in 13 games. He also added two goals and five assists for seven points in four playoff games. McTavish was part of Canada’s entry at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. This article was written before the gold medal game, but McTavish had five goals and six assists for 11 points in six tournament games.

In 2019-20, McTavish played for the OHL’s Peterborough Petes. He was the fifth overall pick in the 2019 OHL Draft. McTavish scored 29 goals and 13 assists for 42 points in 57 games. It was enough to see him named to the OHL All-Rookie Team. McTavish also played for Team Canada White at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals and an assist for three points in six games. McTavish’s father, Dale McTavish, also played for the Peterborough Petes. He had nine NHL games with the Calgary Flames before a long career in Europe.

2021 NHL Draft #12: Mason McTavish Scouting Report

Reactions: L4br3cqu3 and Locks

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Would liv
Swedish winger Fabian Lysell has spent most of the season in a bottom-line role for Lulea HF in the SHL. Playing against men, the 17-year-old put up just two goals and an assist for three points in 26 games this year. However, he has done a lot better playing against his own age group. In 11 games in the J20 league, Lysell scored three goals and 10 assists for 13 points. He played for Team Sweden in the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Lysell has put up three goals and six assists for nine points in seven tournament games.

In 2019-20 he bounced around the Swedish junior leagues. In 11 games in the J20, he put up one goal and five assists for six points. He was incredible in the J18 league, putting up 18 goals and 22 assists for 40 points in 18 games. Lysell also played for Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge scoring five goals and two assists for seven points in five tournament games.

2021 NHL Draft #10: Fabian Lysell Scouting Report

The United States National Team Development Program has produced a number of top NHL prospects in recent years. This year should be no different, and top-line centre Chaz Lucius is a player who should be highly sought after in this year’s draft class. Lucius played 13 games with the Under-18 squad this year, putting up 13 goals and seven assists for 20 points. He has battled through injuries in this strange COVID altered season, and thus missed the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Despite this, Lucius is expected to be ready for the 2021-22 season. He is committed to playing for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers next year.

In 2019-20 Lucius put up 31 goals and 19 assists for 50 points in 46 games for the US NTDP Under-17 team. He also got a short call-up to the Under-18 team, putting up two assists in six games. Lucius was impressive at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. In six games he scored seven goals and three assists for 10 points, helping the US squad to a silver medal. Lucius led the tournament in goals and points and was named to the All-Star Team.

2021 NHL Draft #11: Chaz Lucius Scouting Report

With the OHL Season never getting started, top NHL Draft Prospect Mason McTavish went overseas to play in Switzerland. Playing for EHC Olten in the second Swiss division, McTavish put up nine goals and two assists for 11 points in 13 games. He also added two goals and five assists for seven points in four playoff games. McTavish was part of Canada’s entry at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. This article was written before the gold medal game, but McTavish had five goals and six assists for 11 points in six tournament games.

In 2019-20, McTavish played for the OHL’s Peterborough Petes. He was the fifth overall pick in the 2019 OHL Draft. McTavish scored 29 goals and 13 assists for 42 points in 57 games. It was enough to see him named to the OHL All-Rookie Team. McTavish also played for Team Canada White at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals and an assist for three points in six games. McTavish’s father, Dale McTavish, also played for the Peterborough Petes. He had nine NHL games with the Calgary Flames before a long career in Europe.

2021 NHL Draft #12: Mason McTavish Scouting Report
Would love Habs to draft him but I suspect he will be long gone.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pinelli is probably moving up a bit as well. He might still be in our ball park though, around 20-ish is a possibility. I'd consider him, there's a lot to like there.

There is. Don't think he's a center at the next level though. Probably a Tyler Toffoli type winger. Has really nice hands for scoring goals & passing around the net. It's Corey Perry like. Don't want to put him in that category though based off a few u18s games, so I'll say Tyler Toffoli - ish. Good two-way winger, that can play special teams and has soft hands.

I think McTavish used his time off to work on his skating. It looks much improved, so you have to think it'll keep getting better.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
There is. Don't think he's a center at the next level though. Probably a Tyler Toffoli type winger. Has really nice hands for scoring goals & passing around the net. It's Corey Perry like. Don't want to put him in that category though based off a few u18s games, so I'll say Tyler Toffoli - ish. Good two-way winger, that can play special teams and has soft hands.

I think McTavish used his time off to work on his skating. It looks much improved, so you have to think it'll keep getting better.
I don't know if it's because they're both Italian but I see a lot of Anthony Cirelli in him. Two way jack-of-all-trades types that you can put anywhere, with enough tools to give you 40+ points.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who would y’all pick in this scenerio?

Sabres - Owen Power
Ducks - Matthew Beniers
Seattle - Luke Hughes
Devils - Brandt Clarke
Canucks - William Eklund
Wings - Kent Johnson
Blue Jackets - Mason Mctavish
Senators - Dylan Guenther
Flames - Fabian Lysell
Sharks - Jesper Wallstedt
Kings - Simon Edvinsson
Blackhawks - Carson Lambos
Flyers - Cole Sillinger
Stars - Fyodor Svechkov
Rangers - Chaz Lucius
Habs - ???
Zachary L'Heureux !

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Maybe Scott Morrow...

I mean if you're looking for a player who has elite skills, it's you're guy (in the range we're expected to pick).

He's committed to the University of North Dakota... It speaks a lot..

Homerun potential

He will be high on my list (probably 15-20 range)

He's going to UMASS now, North Dakota had no room for him for next season (they choose Brent Johnson instead). One thing about Morrow which is kinda funny is we all know how much talent he has but looking at his stats on instats he scored 1 goal on 146 shot attempts this season with Shattuck before the USA nationals (17 games tracked). You would expect a better result for someone who has his talent, one of the older players, and in a very weak league.

Hard not to really like McTavish after the U18 he had. He might have played himself well out of our spot though, I can't see him still being around much longer close to the mid round point now. Bobby Mac had him at #11 in his mid season ranking and that looks about right.

He's a stud, top-10 all day for me. He improves massively the weaker parts of his game since last season (skating, playmaking, and play away from the puck).

Othmann may have done the exact same thing - playing on the edge, I thought he was a constant and dangerous net-front presence

One of my favorites, he had a real bad stretch with Olten where he looked like he hit a wall (right after McTavish got there) but he bounced back well at the U-18. Only his skating will hurt where he goes in the draft, I think he's going to be fine when he's 21-22. Love the way he plays, one of the most aggressive players in this draft class and has a great shot.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't know if it's because they're both Italian but I see a lot of Anthony Cirelli in him. Two way jack-of-all-trades types that you can put anywhere, with enough tools to give you 40+ points.

Definitely, jack of all trades type player. Cirelli is a much better skater though.

There's actually a few guys I like at our spot. I'd take any one of:

McTavish
Pinelli
Chibrikov
Svechkov
Koivunen
Rosen
Olausson
Wallstedt
Lambos
Othmann
Bourgault
Sillinger

Which means we're probably not taking any of those guys. Montreal rarely takes guys I like.

Reactions: bopeep

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
Who would y’all pick in this scenerio?

Sabres - Owen Power
Ducks - Matthew Beniers
Seattle - Luke Hughes
Devils - Brandt Clarke
Canucks - William Eklund
Wings - Kent Johnson
Blue Jackets - Mason Mctavish
Senators - Dylan Guenther
Flames - Fabian Lysell
Sharks - Jesper Wallstedt
Kings - Simon Edvinsson
Blackhawks - Carson Lambos
Flyers - Cole Sillinger
Stars - Fyodor Svechkov
Rangers - Chaz Lucius
Habs - ???

Stankoven 100%.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Definitely, jack of all trades type player. Cirelli is a much better skater though.

There's actually a few guys I like at our spot. I'd take any one of:

McTavish
Pinelli
Chibrikov
Svechkov
Koivunen
Rosen
Olausson
Wallstedt
Lambos
Othmann
Bourgault
Sillinger

Which means we're probably not taking any of those guys. Montreal rarely takes guys I like.

I don't see how Mctavish and Sillinger could be there.. The teams drafting before us would need to be really stupid.

Not a fan of Bougault, Othmann and Svechkov.

Big fan of Rosen, Lambos and Olausson.

Rosen would be an awesome project :)

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't see how Mctavish and Sillinger could be there.. The teams drafting before us would need to be really stupid.

Not a fan of Bougault, Othmann and Svechkov.

Big fan of Rosen, Lambos and Olausson.

Rosen would be an awesome project :)

Well, they can't all be top 10 picks:

Power, Beniers, Hughes, Eklund, Lysell, Clarke, Edvinsson, Wallstedt, Guenther, Johnson, McTavish, Pinelli, Lambos, Olausson, Chibrikov, Rosen, Ceulemans, Lucius & Sillinger

That's 19 players. We'll pick 16th. I imagine one of those is a Montreal Canadien.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't understand why L'Heureux is not higher in the list. He was a top 15 last yrs and he had a great season this yrs even with a weak Halifax team and bad coaching (JJ Daigneault...). He got the skills, size and the gamer attitude that you want from a player.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't understand why L'Heureux is not higher in the list. He was a top 15 last yrs and he had a great season this yrs even with a weak Halifax team and bad coaching (JJ Daigneault...). He got the skills, size and the gamer attitude that you want from a player.

He's a target for me.. yeah the offensive upside isn't great, but I'll take a guaranteed pest with some offense in this draft.. provided Chibrikov or Rosen are gone.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I admit I don't get to see much of the Q but purely from looking at his stats, he didn't show a lot of progression from his rookie season production wise. A lot of stuff can factor into that obviously but progression is one of the things I always look for in a pick.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He's a target for me.. yeah the offensive upside isn't great, but I'll take a guaranteed pest with some offense in this draft.. provided Chibrikov or Rosen are gone.

I do think he has offense in him, maybe not a 80 pts player, but a 50-60 pts 25-30 goals and that will perform when playoff time arrived. This kid is a gamer

I admit I don't get to see much of the Q but purely from looking at his stats, he didn't show a lot of progression from his rookie season production wise. A lot of stuff can factor into that obviously but progression is one of the things I always look for in a pick.

don't look it that way, He was with Halifax this yrs and the team is in a big rebuild and the coaching was horrible this yrs (That's why Daignault was fire after only 2 yrs) and he's still in the top 15 in the Q for PTS this year

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I do think he has offense in him, maybe not a 80 pts player, but a 50-60 pts 25-30 goals and that will perform when playoff time arrived. This kid is a gamer

don't look it that way, He was with Halifax this yrs and the team is in a big rebuild and the coaching was horrible this yrs (That's why Daignault was fire after only 2 yrs) and he's still in the top 15 in the Q for PTS this year
Fair enough !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad