2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Just wondering how much the U18's moved the needle regarding some of the prospects, especially non-1st round selections.
From what I could see, Aleksi Heimosalmi's game was a revelation - he went from a mid round afterthought to potential 1st to mid 2nd pick. I really liked Daniil Lazutin's play as well - strong on the puck, worked his ass off every shift, great on faceoffs and I thought he skated really well for a big guy.
Del Mastro, Winterton, Zellweger and Conner Roulette all acquitted themselves well and solidified their status as potential 2nd/3rd rounders. Chase Stillman is a human wrecking ball on skates... And another Finnish player who I couldn't stop watching was Niko Huuhtanen - size, some skill and knows how to get to the front of the net.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hope they don't go that route, they went safe last year, time to get the highest skilled forward they can this year.

In theory yes.. but watching the handling of Caufield at the NHL level and Kotkaniemi.. I think I gotta just accept that low maintenance, Gallagher type guys is the best we can do for fear of outright busting everyone.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In theory yes.. but watching the handling of Caufield at the NHL level and Kotkaniemi.. I think I gotta just accept that low maintenance, Gallagher type guys is the best we can do for fear of outright busting everyone.

you can't think that way going into the draft, in 5 years who knows where MB will be, who will be the coach, the president, etc... Go highest skill unless it's a poor skater and don't draft for need of position.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
you can't think that way going into the draft, in 5 years who knows where MB will be, who will be the coach, the president, etc... Go highest skill unless it's a poor skater and don't draft for need of position.

Philosophically I agree, I'm just beat down from watching it happen over and over again and hearing the reports Molson is gonna extend MB and by extension, keep DD around.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Philosophically I agree, I'm just beat down from watching it happen over and over again and hearing the reports Molson is gonna extend MB and by extension, keep DD around.

Oh for sure MB gets extended, have been saying so for some time, I assume Dom is back as well but nothing says they will be here in 3-4-5-6 years from now. In fact it's better that they go high end skill cause either they figure it out which seems unlikely or they f*** it up and if so then at some point there has to be a breaking point where Molson due to whatever pressures has to cave and step down and then things hopefully get turned over to people with lots of experienced and success at running a team instead of having a president with no hockey experience and never held the job of a hockey president before, a GM that never held the job of GM before, a head coach in the AHL for 6 years that never held the job of head coach at any level.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
IMO, the top 15 is clear cut already:

Hughes
Beniers
Power
Eklund
Clarke
Edvinsson
Johnson
Sillinger
Mctavish
Wallstedt
Lysell
Guenther
Lucius
Lambos
Räty
----

Anyone from the list above would be a good pick by Montreal at 16 OA

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Hughes
Beniers
Power
Eklund
Clarke
Edvinsson
Johnson
Sillinger
Mctavish
Wallstedt
Lysell
Guenther
Lucius
Lambos
Räty
----

I don't think Lambos or Raty belong here tbh.

Raty has fallen completely where a lot of scouts have him as a day 2 pick and Lambos is a love him or hate him prospect. Some scouts rave and others question his offense and see him as a 2nd rounder.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020

Hughes
Beniers
Power
Eklund
Clarke
Edvinsson
Johnson
Sillinger
Mctavish
Wallstedt
Lysell
Guenther
Lucius
Lambos
Räty
----

I’d be happy with any of the top 13 in that list. I doubt any of them fall to 16 though

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't understand why L'Heureux is not higher in the list. He was a top 15 last yrs and he had a great season this yrs even with a weak Halifax team and bad coaching (JJ Daigneault...). He got the skills, size and the gamer attitude that you want from a player.

He keeps getting suspended. You have to question a player when he can't play with discipline. Is he a top 6 power forward or another Raffi Torres, where his act becomes tiresome and eventually hurts the team necessitating a trade?

It definitely hurts him in the rankings.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I don't think Lambos or Raty belong here tbh.

Raty has fallen completely where a lot of scouts have him as a day 2 pick and Lambos is a love him or hate him prospect. Some scouts rave and others question his offense and see him as a 2nd rounder.

Lambos put up better numbers than Byram and Ty Smith in his D-1 (on a bad team), so on a certain level it's really not outrageous to think those scouts are just wrong. If he falls like Krebs, teams will regret it.

Reactions: 1000eeer

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lambos put up better numbers than Byram and Ty Smith in his D-1 (on a bad team), so on a certain level it's really not outrageous to think those scouts are just wrong. If he falls like Krebs, teams will regret it.

I'm not a fan. Hopefully we steer clear.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Which of these centers rated within our reach do you think have a shot at developing into #2s:

Zachery Bolduc
Xavier Bourgault
Aatu Raty
Francesco Pinelli
Zacher L'Heureux
Fedor Svechkov
Machie Samoskevich
Zach Dean

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
So we need the Blues to get 1 point in their remaining two games to lock up 16th (assuming we don’t make it past the second round). Do I have that right?

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
MARK MY WORDS

Zachary L'Heureux will be a Montreal Canadien when comes draft day.

whether you like it or not

(If Mctavish is off the board when we pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad