Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I could be wrong but I feel like I've read that this won't happen due to ageism. An 18 year old is a legal adult and therefore I don't believe they can be barred from advancing in their profession simply due to age.

Collective bargaining with a union allows the parties to establish workplace/draft rules. It is the reason the NBA can exlude 18 years olds. So any changes would need to be collectively bargained with the union - hard to imagine why the union would agree to this since it delays player earnings for one year.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Collective bargaining with a union allows the parties to establish workplace/draft rules. It is the reason the NBA can exlude 18 years olds. So any changes would need to be collectively bargained with the union - hard to imagine why the union would agree to this since it delays player earnings for one year.

There would have to be a concession. Like reduce RFA years by 1 year or something like that.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Carson Lambos (on loan from Winnipeg/WHL) makes his Liiga debut tonight. He's listed as the 7th defenseman for JYP (same team as Brad Lambert) in tonight's lineup.

11 points in 13 U20 league games so far, most likely Lambos is just too good for the juniors, so JYP brass is trying to see if he can already play in the men's league. Some have rated him quite low in their initial 2021 rankings, a good showing on Liiga ice would do wonders for his draft stock.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

TSN - Can we expect changes to the NHL draft lottery?

Unless the draft gets pushed back to June 2022 I can't see it affecting the 2021 draft, the last time they made changes they waited a year. But who knows, either way I imagine it's fairly minimal, the league unnecessarily complicated the lottery last year just to get it on TV, can't see them not keeping large elements of it.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I have mixed emotions.

I think the Ducks benefit from the draft with less scouting time since they have great scouts.

The higher the Ducks pick the later I want the draft. If they win the lottery then I want the draft as delayed as possible.

As a Hockey fan it would suck to go a year without a draft.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm gonna be really mad if they repeat last year and allow 'play in' teams to get a chance at #1 pick like in 2020. That system screws over all the rebuilding teams.
Especially considering the bottom 8 teams had no playoffs to look forward to and they had to watch a play in team win the #1 pick.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm gonna be really mad if they repeat last year and allow 'play in' teams to get a chance at #1 pick like in 2020. That system screws over all the rebuilding teams.
Especially considering the bottom 8 teams had no playoffs to look forward to and they had to watch a play in team win the #1 pick.

They definitely won't do that, there's no play in and the sole purpose for that was so they could do the draft lottery before the bubble started.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It actually didn't affect the non play in teams at all. All of there % were the same as every other year since implemented.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Some names I’ve been interested in for this years draft, not necessarily guys to take top 10 just guys I’ve particularly liked in what I’ve read and watched, Power, Beniers, Lambos, Lucius, Olausson, Eklund, Schmidt, Behrens, Duke, Red Savage(killer name), Robertsson, Olsson, Murchison, Helenius, some of these guys would be good early picks imo and some later picks

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I have mixed emotions.

I think the Ducks benefit from the draft with less scouting time since they have great scouts.

The higher the Ducks pick the later I want the draft. If they win the lottery then I want the draft as delayed as possible.

As a Hockey fan it would suck to go a year without a draft.

I definitely relate to your feelings about the draft. On one hand I don't want the draft to be postponed (and I doubt it will be) as there's not much to look for this season and I kind of want to see the madness of 2021 draft. However, if this is the year when the Ducks win the lottery, I would be furious. I am confident that they will take a great player regardless of when they pick, but there's a very good chance that the player picked 1st overall won't be the best player this year due to lack of data and 'cos this was a messy draft to begin with. I highly doubt they'll move the draft because the NHLPA won't agree to it and I doubt Anaheim wins the draft as they won't be low enough to have high probability to win it. It still makes me a bit nervous.

I don't know who said it but Beniers would definitely work well with Zegras. He seems like an awesome player as well and a kind of player the Ducks would pick. I like Eklund and Johnson out of the forwards. Obviously Power is exciting defenceman, but I don't know enough about the other defenders to say, who else I like.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I definitely relate to your feelings about the draft. On one hand I don't want the draft to be postponed (and I doubt it will be) as there's not much to look for this season and I kind of want to see the madness of 2021 draft. However, if this is the year when the Ducks win the lottery, I would be furious. I am confident that they will take a great player regardless of when they pick, but there's a very good chance that the player picked 1st overall won't be the best player this year due to lack of data and 'cos this was a messy draft to begin with. I highly doubt they'll move the draft because the NHLPA won't agree to it and I doubt Anaheim wins the draft as they won't be low enough to have high probability to win it. It still makes me a bit nervous.

I don't know who said it but Beniers would definitely work well with Zegras. He seems like an awesome player as well and a kind of player the Ducks would pick. I like Eklund and Johnson out of the forwards. Obviously Power is exciting defenceman, but I don't know enough about the other defenders to say, who else I like.

I have actually watched a bit of Beniers and I have kind of soured on him.
He really doesn't have a scoring touch at all. He is basically Lundestrom.

I would prefer Johnson over him easily.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Caught a glimpse of Luke Hughes the other day in his game. He’s not quite as dynamic as his brothers but he’s bigger and oh boy is he good in transition. The skating is very impressive and he’s a very good puck handler. I will take him over a lot of these defensemen I keep hearing about and think he ends up going top 5

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The longer the draft season has gone on, the more I'm getting excited about the possibility of pairing Drysdale with Power, Clarke, Edvinsson, or Hughes. Still some forwards that I like and definitely wouldn't be upset if we ended up with them, but the possibility of having an elite top pairing for a decade + is becoming my biggest hope for this season.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The longer the draft season has gone on, the more I'm getting excited about the possibility of pairing Drysdale with Power, Clarke, Edvinsson, or Hughes. Still some forwards that I like and definitely wouldn't be upset if we ended up with them, but the possibility of having an elite top pairing for a decade + is becoming my biggest hope for this season.
If we can draft another high end top pairing d we are just a high-end forward signing from being a legit cup contender. Could end up with
Best goalie in the league
3 top pair d in lindholm, Drysdale, and draft pick, Fowler and solid d depth
Great centers with Zegras Steel Lundestrom
A highend winger from free agency and tons of wingers fighting for spots (Comtois, Terry, Perreault, Tracey, Jones, Rakell, Heinen, etc.)

A lot to be excited about if we can get a stud from this next draft. We would also have so much young talent that we would have a ton of capspace to lock in young guys to good longterm contracts or fill holes in free agency.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I'm more keen on the idea of having two elite Dmen for the purpose of being able to have at least one on the ice for the majority of the game a la Nieds/Pronger. Generally speaking and assuming you have the right partners for both, I think the double top pairing is the most difficult lineup arrangement for an opponent to overcome.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm more keen on the idea of having two elite Dmen for the purpose of being able to have at least one on the ice for the majority of the game a la Nieds/Pronger. Generally speaking and assuming you have the right partners for both, I think the double top pairing is the most difficult lineup arrangement for an opponent to overcome.

Depending on how long it takes and what the makeup of the team is, you add Lindholm to that and you either have one incredible pair with Lindholm/Drysdale and another (hopefully) #1 D on the other pair or you split the three up and never have a weak point to attack (assuming the other 3 d-men are decent).

But isn't it looking like the Ducks won't be drafting as high this season? They are barely bottom 10 (by points %) and the team has started looking better as of late. It is possible that they draft in the 11-14 spot. Will any of these players be available there or we banking on a losing streak/lottery win?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Depending on how long it takes and what the makeup of the team is, you add Lindholm to that and you either have one incredible pair with Lindholm/Drysdale and another (hopefully) #1 D on the other pair or you split the three up and never have a weak point to attack (assuming the other 3 d-men are decent).

But isn't it looking like the Ducks won't be drafting as high this season? They are barely bottom 10 (by points %) and the team has started looking better as of late. It is possible that they draft in the 11-14 spot. Will any of these players be available there or we banking on a losing streak/lottery win?

The spread from the 3rd worst to the Ducks is literally 1 win.

it is way too early to assume they wont pick high.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The spread from the 3rd worst to the Ducks is literally 1 win.

it is way too early to assume they wont pick high.

That's true... I just tend to be a pessimist when it comes to this stuff. Good enough to not get a high pick, not good enough to make playoffs.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

It’s of course possible they draft 11-14 but if you were betting on it you would certainly bet on them drafting 5-10. Which is what we assumed coming into the season

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think the Ducks draft position will end up being about the same as the Sharks. Both teams have alot of problems. Kings will clearly be dead last picking in the top 3.
For the Ducks the forwards are the biggest weakness and lack of offense from the blue line. Goalie situation is however great.
Inexperience from the younger forwards is also a weakness. Henrique not caring about the season is also a problem when you consider the good season he had last year.

For the Sharks the the defensive side of the game from their Dmen is the biggest problem, it leaves Jones/Dubnyk out to dry and neither of them are good anymore.
Their top 6 forwards are clearly superior to that of the Ducks although they haven't been getting as much as they'd like out of them. Their blue line has more offense than the Ducks but Karlsson has yet to produce like a OFD this season.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It’s of course possible they draft 11-14 but if you were betting on it you would certainly bet on them drafting 5-10. Which is what we assumed coming into the season

Yeah, in a shortened season 1 losing streak/winning streak could be the difference between a top 5 pick and picking outside of the top 10. The next 4 games (Minnesota and Arizona) could be telling, assuming we take about 30% of points against Avs/Vegas/Blues and probably majority of points from LA, it'll be Sharks/Wild/Coyotes series that will determine where we pick.

Reactions: ReptilianQuack

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

With the uncertainty around this draft due to players' lack of play I kind of like the idea of taking a defenceman because the Ducks have been great in drafting them. Drysdale is looking awesome and guys like LaCombe and Thrun are progressing well. Then add one of the players you mentioned into the mix. Lindholm and Fowler can mentor them, so they won't be just thrown out there to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad