Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'd love another defensemen. I'm gaining confidence in steel at 2c and winger is the easiest position to find in free agency. Give me a defensemen projected to be a top 4 d with top pair upside and I'm happy.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
It would be great to pick up a guy that can play with Drysdale for the next decade or have them split up during games and run 2 pairings that can eat heavy minutes. Are there any guys that have a contrasting style to Drysdale? He seems to be more of a fast/finesse guy... any bigger power guys out there in this draft, the Pronger to his Niedermayer (not in terms of that potential, just in terms of stylistic impact). A defensively sound guy that can clear the crease and has a good point shot, preferably on the left side.
Lambos also could be a good pick to fill a role like that, not quite as tall but is still strong and physical, smart and skilled, reminds a bit of Seth Jones, a workhorse

Reactions: lwvs84

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That's not the worst thing, but I can pretty much guarantee there's gonna be a clear #1 by the time the lottery happens.

I don't know about that. Maybe around July we have better idea about the rankings. Hopefully all draftees get a lot of games. Would suck to pick early and miss some obvious talent due to lack of games.

The Ducks got a top3 pick at #9 so I don't care.

In 2014 Ducks took Ritchie at #10 and he probably isn't a top 30 pick in a redraft. I also wouldn't put Zegras at #3 for 2019 just yet. Max Friberg was 2nd in scoring in 2012 WJC and 1st in goals and that didn't amount to anything. And no, I am not saying that Zegras and Friberg are the same, just that it is too early say.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't know about that. Maybe around July we have better idea about the rankings. Hopefully all draftees get a lot of games. Would suck to pick early and miss some obvious talent due to lack of games

I don't think there's been a year without a clear favorite for #1 since 2003. You could argue 2011 but I think Nuge was a pretty decent favorite and there was a fairly large consensus around him. It's gonna happen because it always happens.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think there's been a year without a clear favorite for #1 since 2003. You could argue 2011 but I think Nuge was a pretty decent favorite and there was a fairly large consensus around him. It's gonna happen because it always happens.
2017 wasn't really clear either

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone read Friedman saying potentially no draft for 2021?
I wonder how that works? You do 1 draft of overs next year and 1 draft of the normal class? Do you put all the players into the pot and double every teams picks?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wonder how that works? You do 1 draft of overs next year and 1 draft of the normal class? Do you put all the players into the pot and double every teams picks?
in other words the Ducks will be winning the #1 pick in the draft lottery this year and the draft gets cancelled.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Honestly for the health of the league, they should take this opportunity to move the draft age to 19 and take the records from this year and next year to determine draft order.

No matter what they do some team is going to get screwed and be pissed.
If they dont have a draft this year Seattle gets screwed. Thats another year later that their prospects will be making an impact.

Reactions: Getz2noone

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

I think the idea is that they would hold two drafts next year I think. 2021 draft and 2022 draft. I think it could be a nightmare, but I also don't like the idea of teams going into this year's draft blind, especially 'cos the Ducks will be taking a player in the top 10. It would also for Seattle that they would have no prospect pool for a year basically. Or not a good one anyway.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Honestly for the health of the league, they should take this opportunity to move the draft age to 19 and take the records from this year and next year to determine draft order.

No matter what they do some team is going to get screwed and be pissed.
If they dont have a draft this year Seattle gets screwed. Thats another year later that their prospects will be making an impact.

I could be wrong but I feel like I've read that this won't happen due to ageism. An 18 year old is a legal adult and therefore I don't believe they can be barred from advancing in their profession simply due to age.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I could be wrong but I feel like I've read that this won't happen due to ageism. An 18 year old is a legal adult and therefore I don't believe they can be barred from advancing in their profession simply due to age.
Not sure about that. The NBA requires a year post high school in either Europe or College - most of those guys are 19 when drafted. NFL requires 2+ years of college I believe - most of those dudes are 20+.

I think the NHL could change it but I don’t see why they would. It’s fine the way it is

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Ageism is not a thing. Law protects discrimination based on age in the workplace over the age of 40. There is no protection for being too young.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ageism is not a thing. Law protects discrimination based on age in the workplace over the age of 40. There is no protection for being too young.

Not quite true. While it isn't "ageism" in the classic sense, the reason the NHL went to an 18 year-old draft back around 1980 was the fear that they would be sued by a player for not being able to ply his trade if he was legally able to do so (i.e. of adult age). Nobody really wanted to lower the draft age (especially GM's and scouts who now had to try and project whether a 17 year-old would make a good pro) but the NHL felt they had no choice. Other leagues have done the same although some have tweeked their rules to force players to play at least one year of college (i.e. NBA and NFL). I'm sure those rules would fail in court if ever challenged. In short, the 18 year-old draft is here to stay and there will almost certainly be a 2021 NHL draft as a result.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
IIRC Friedman also said in one of his blogs that the NHLPA would be vehemently against raising the draft age, whatever the reasoning was. It's very, very unlikely to happen, even if the draft itself is postponed.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
IIRC Friedman also said in one of his blogs that the NHLPA would be vehemently against raising the draft age, whatever the reasoning was. It's very, very unlikely to happen, even if the draft itself is postponed.
The reasoning is pretty clear. It delays the path to unrestricted free agency by a year which means less dollars for the players. I wouldn’t budge on that either if I were them

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
More likely they're just delaying the actual draft and everyone keeps their picks which could offer us great opportunities. Imagine if we had a guaranteed top 5 pick to shop around the league for several months
Shop the pick for who? A player to play with rakell, silf, henrique, bald? Aint gonna win shit even if it was mcdavid

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
More likely they're just delaying the actual draft and everyone keeps their picks which could offer us great opportunities. Imagine if we had a guaranteed top 5 pick to shop around the league for several months

Would be fun to pick first in both 2021 and 2022 draft, and like if they were week apart from each other and be like "oh we'll gladly take Owen Power with our first... Oh it's our turn to start again? We'll take Wright".

Reactions: Sam Steel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig