Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Would be like having Niedermayer and Pronger all over again. Some are comparing Power to a Hedman or Pronger.

Sure, lets compare prospects to two of the best D of all time. To just imagine Drysdale will be as good as Nieds is a brutal expectation.

Do you remember the last draft of the high end defenseman?

2008, all of Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn were rated as franchise D. Meyers and Teubert were rated as top pairing guys and at #15 a guy called Erik Karlsson was a pick massivly off the charts.

Overall this draft produced some great D and some not so great. But even here, was someone in the mold of Nieds or Pronger?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Sure, lets compare prospects to two of the best D of all time. To just imagine Drysdale will be as good as Nieds is a brutal expectation.

Do you remember the last draft of the high end defenseman?

2008, all of Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn were rated as franchise D. Meyers and Teubert were rated as top pairing guys and at #15 a guy called Erik Karlsson was a pick massivly off the charts.

Overall this draft produced some great D and some not so great. But even here, was someone in the mold of Nieds or Pronger?
Not in the mold of Nieds or Pronger exactly, but Karlsson, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are all hall of famers

Reactions: Paul4587

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Not in the mold of Nieds or Pronger exactly, but Karlsson, Doughty, and Pietrangelo are all hall of famers

And Bogosian, Schenn and the others are not. That's the point. Just drafting a highly regarded prospect means nothing down the road. I mean Shea Weber or Duncan Keith were 2nd rounder and will be HoF too. Players we have can take the same road.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
And Bogosian, Schenn and the others are not. That's the point. Just drafting a highly regarded prospect means nothing down the road. I mean Shea Weber or Duncan Keith were 2nd rounder and will be HoF too. Players we have can take the same road.
I’m not disagreeing with your overarching point but it’s undeniable that drafting in the top 10 gives you the best chance of drafting a hall of fame caliber player.

The reason you remember where Weber and Keith were drafted is because it’s rare to find a player that good past the 1st round. You can go ahead and bring up Bergeron, Kucherov, and Datsyuk in your next post but it doesn’t change the fact that the odds are tiny.

this isn’t a post in favor of purposely tanking and losing games. It just is a simple fact of sports that the high end talents are mostly taken in the top 10. And of course there are going to be busts in between

It’d actually be interesting to know the exact data on what percentage of all hall of fame players are picked in the top 10 historically. My guess is about 75% but I could be off in either direction. I’d actually do some digging on it if I wasn’t at work

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It’d actually be interesting to know the exact data on what percentage of all hall of fame players are picked in the top 10 historically. My guess is about 75% but I could be off in either direction. I’d actually do some digging on it if I wasn’t at work

It's too soon to check for hall of famers, but I'd be interested in franchise players/potential HOF'ers in recent years too (10-20 years). Scouting is so different now than it was 30 or 40 years ago, how many franchise players are taken outside of the top 3/5/10? I'm guessing that 75% is a lot closer to 80% or 90% because it's easier to scout all of the different leagues and those stars don't fall as much because there is more than one team that catches those players play.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I’m not disagreeing with your overarching point but it’s undeniable that drafting in the top 10 gives you the best chance of drafting a hall of fame caliber player.

The reason you remember where Weber and Keith were drafted is because it’s rare to find a player that good past the 1st round. You can go ahead and bring up Bergeron, Kucherov, and Datsyuk in your next post but it doesn’t change the fact that the odds are tiny.

this isn’t a post in favor of purposely tanking and losing games. It just is a simple fact of sports that the high end talents are mostly taken in the top 10. And of course there are going to be busts in between

An interesting stat would be probability of being a hall of famer for each draft spot. Im sure it drops off massively very quickly.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

Absolutely, it gives you the chance. Not more, not less. That"s what I wanted to say.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
One of the goalies on his team is named “Gibson Homer”

Other noteworthy names on that team:
  • There's a second Jack Hughes in there, no relation whatsoever to the other Hughes family.
  • Justin Janicke, younger brother of our boy Trevor
  • Ryan St. Louis, Marty's oldest son, who is draft eligible in 2021. Man that makes me feel old, feels like Marty himself was tearing up the league not too long ago... :help:

Reactions: duxfan1101

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't think he's the best player in the class (though I think he could be), but the player I'm most excited about potentially being on the Ducks right now is Kent Johnson.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't think he's the best player in the class (though I think he could be), but the player I'm most excited about potentially being on the Ducks right now is Kent Johnson.
Very late bday but he looks promising.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This University of Michigan team is stacked. 3 potential top 10 picks in next year's draft (Power, Johnson, Beniers), 2 1st rounders from 2019 (York, Beecher), and 2 top 40 picks from the 2020 draft (Brisson, Bordeleau). And to top it all off, their goalie is named Strauss Mann.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
This University of Michigan team is stacked. 3 potential top 10 picks in next year's draft (Power, Johnson, Beniers), 2 1st rounders from 2019 (York, Beecher), and 2 top 40 picks from the 2020 draft (Brisson, Bordeleau). And to top it all off, their goalie is named Strauss Mann.
They also have a few more high level talents committed for the future as well

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kent Johnson is on the top of my wish list... still feels odd to me that we were 100% going dmen this year with Next year being a stacked defensive year..... the forward talent is no wher near the 2020 draft

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Kent Johnson is on the top of my wish list... still feels odd to me that we were 100% going dmen this year with Next year being a stacked defensive year..... the forward talent is no wher near the 2020 draft

I think people are misreading that comment. I really doubt they were set on taking a Dman with their first pick.

What was stated was that they were set on getting Drysdale or Sanderson at #6. That doesn't mean they were set on taking a D, it means that out of the pool of prospects who were likely available (they knew none of those big three F were falling to six), they had those two ranked clearly above the other prospects perceived to be options in that range.

Madden and co have shown time after time that they will take who they see as BPA regardless of organizational need. I don't read any further into the comments made other than that they suggest that they had Drysdale and Sanderson clearly ranked ahead of the forwards available and weren't going to be steered differently by variables such as positional need, and that they weren't willing to move down and have to jump down a tier on their list.

The more I think about it, its actually silly to suggest Madden would use the six overall pick on anyone except for who he thought was the best prospect available. There's no way they jumped over higher ranked prospects simply because they were set on taking a D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587 and Kalv

GibsonIsGod666

Jul 15, 2020
Curious what everyone would prefer:
  • A deep center prospect pool with Zegras, Raty/Johnson/Lucius, Steel, Lundestrom; OR
  • A deep D core with Dyrsdale, Power/Lambos/Clarke, Thrun, Lacombe
I think in this draft you go for a D again and build out from there.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I have a hunch we take beniers but with the way our prospect pool is built the bpa will fit perfectly no matter which way we go.

I do like the idea of a high end ld which we could either stack with drysdale or run their own pair

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Curious what everyone would prefer:
  • A deep center prospect pool with Zegras, Raty/Johnson/Lucius, Steel, Lundestrom; OR
  • A deep D core with Dyrsdale, Power/Lambos/Clarke, Thrun, Lacombe
I think in this draft you go for a D again and build out from there.
I think Raty is gonna have his stock start to plummet soon, doesn't seem like he is living up to the hype he used to have. I like Johnson and Beniers, haven't seen much Lucius tho. and for D Ive watched a bit of Power and he looks good, He seems to be really well rounded as well. BPA would probably be advisable but if i had to pick between F and D rn i would say D because all of Lambos Clarke and Power seem very promising.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Great year to draft D with a high pick. Clarke, Lambos, Power, Hughes all seem great talents.

No clue who the top rated forwards are. Räty seems underwhelming, maybe Lucius and Beniers? :dunno:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This draft seem to have some great talent on there, don't they. Beniers have been turning some heads in the first exhibition game, then there is Power and many more intriguing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad