2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Kind of funny that we pick 9th barring lottery wins in a year where there's a clear top 8. Beniers, Power, Clarke, Hughes, Johnson, Guenther, Edvinsson, Eklund.

Someone always goes off the board so we should get whichever one of those falls.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Aaand that’s it. 3 points was the difference between 5 and 9th, not kidding. We would have finished below Detroit well, we didn’t. 3 points is 4 spots. So pissed.

Reactions: mriswith

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There is no clear top 8, this draft is going to be all over the board given the pandemic and limited access to players. I bet some teams will rely only on analytics and make some wild swings.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
There is no clear top 8, this draft is going to be all over the board given the pandemic and limited access to players. I bet some teams will rely only on analytics and make some wild swings.

Interesting hypothesis. Alternatively, because there were a lot fewer games to video scout this year might there not be a heightened consensus on the top players? Just a thought.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
My top 11 might end up looking something like this, pending the WC:

1. Clarke
2. Beniers
3. Hughes
4. Power
5. Ceulemans
6. Eklund
7. Edvinsson
8. Johnson
9. McTavish
10. Sillinger
11. Guenther

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Interesting hypothesis. Alternatively, because there were a lot fewer games to video scout this year might there not be a heightened consensus on the top players? Just a thought.

That will probably be the case, and I think it's also highly likely this top pick is also going to be all Benning so we could be in the non-consensus group. With Linden and now Brackett out of the way, our 1st rounder will probably be whoever Jim liked best from the under 19(?) tournament in Texas.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
9th spot secured for the lottery.

It will be an interesting draft and those consensus rankings mean nothing since teams will have their own rankings based on their own information. I can see Mason McTavish, Corson Cuelmans, and Jesper Wallstedt being picked before us.
pretty sure Wallstedt goes before 9 or 10

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
From what I've seen, I wouldn't take a forward until pick 5.

Clarke, Hughes, Power, Ceulemans ( in no particular order) are the top 4 prospects of the draft for me.

Brandt Clarke - hockey iq off the charts. When you watch him play, he's usually 1 step ahead of everyone else.
Never shy of taking charge and joining the attack. I've seen people comment on his skating, and I think he moves fine on the ice.
He does have a habit of gliding on the ice rather than start/stop, but that can also be a sign that he's just reading the play well and doesn't need to waste energy.
If I had to nitpick 1. Even though he likes to play an offensive game, his hands/puck handling is only good not elite. 2. He lacks power - shot, defensive abililty to box ( that should correct itself as he matures)

Owen Power - Huge left-handed defenseman. a few things standout, his size, his mobility and his poise. I can see why scouts would love this player.
Its not hard to project him as a big minute muncher who can play in all situations. Still at times he becomes almost too quiet/vanilla. ultimate upside is a question mark.

Luke Hughes - I must be watching scott niedermayer's son, he skates just like him. He's one dman in this group that can take the puck from behind the net and just outskate everyone to the other side.
He's not as slippery/agile as Quinn but his stride is much more powerful. Also very raw and defensively needs a lot of work. One of the youngest player in the draft though - September birthday, which means if he was born a few days later, this can be his D-1.

Corson Ceulemans - think mini Byfyuglien, he plays the same way with swag. 6'2 powerful dman who can really handle the puck and has a bomb. Has this weird sense of when to jump into a puck battle and win it. Without the puck, can be prone to being flat footed from time to time.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If we are 9,10,11 I wouldnt mind McTavish. I know we need D but we also need a big centre prospect.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
to think Canucks missed out on Zegras at 9 2 years ago... who did they screw themselves out of this year by winning a meaningless point this past week?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
to think Canucks missed out on Zegras at 9 2 years ago... who did they screw themselves out of this year by winning a meaningless point this past week?

That point was frustrating but props to the Kings for doing a better tank job than us.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Would be ecstatic if Clarke somehow fell to us (unlikely), but otherwise would be happy with any of:

Eklund (unlikely to fall to us)
Johnson (moderate chance to fall to us)
Ceulemans (good chance he'll be available)
Sillinger (good chance he'll be available)
McTavish (good chance he'll be available)
Lucius (good chance he'll be available)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Kind of funny that we pick 9th barring lottery wins in a year where there's a clear top 8. Beniers, Power, Clarke, Hughes, Johnson, Guenther, Edvinsson, Eklund.

Someone always goes off the board so we should get whichever one of those falls.

Meh. I would really really really not include Johsnon and Edvinsson in that group. Maybe not Guenther.

I see the tiers more like:
Beniers
Power/Clarke/Eklund
Hughes/Guenther/MacTavish

I'll be happy with any of the above names at #9

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
To the people confident in making top 10’s how many viewings are you getting on these players ? And how many outside the u18?

I think the best bets are forwards. Beniers and Eklund feel safe and Guenther has just about everything you want in a winger.

I don’t feel comfortable ranking them though. I can’t find enough video where I feel it’s fair to rank players. I think I do this intentionally so as not to become biased to the players we end up with.

Another general question: if the right handed defender was left handed would he still rank where he does? I feel since it’s a need it might be getting double counted.

Reactions: CanuckCity

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
The Canucks draft probabilities are in the books:

4.5% chance of 1st overall
4.8% chance of 2nd overall
64.4% chance of 9th overall
24.7% chance of 10th overall
1.7% chance of 11th overall.

If we drop to 11th it will be the cherry on top.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

this seems like an off the board year for sure.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
These types of drafts always have some random winners in the 20's etc.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it seems like this would be the year to not care where you draft in the top ten because it is even more of a crap shoot than usual without a proper sorting hat season.

which means we will win the lottery for sure and the guy picked ninth will be the pick of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad