2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Lose the next two and Canucks will have 1 of

Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke, Beniers, Guenther, Eklund.

Any of those pieces will complement Canucks core.

Beniers
Power/Clarke/Eklund

MacTavish/Hughes
Guenther

Edvinsson is honestly a late 1st for me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it might only be a happy fluke, but have the Canucks ever drafted a Swedish hockey player who totally busted? Seems to me that most of them have actually worked out, even some of the guys drafted later on who ended up making their Canucks debuts. The Sedins, Ohlund, Edler, Pettersson, Hoglander......the Canucks are on a roll with the Tri-Kronor!

Maybe it's Tomas Gradin's golden touch. But if he likes Edvinsson, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He's earned it.

Reactions: Szechwan

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks are in no position to be trading away a top 10 pick to dump a contract that only has one year left on it. We need more top prospects and we should be able to land one in this draft, likely a D man which we need badly. We just need to be patient as we’re almost done with the Eriksson show... one more season... we can’t be hurting our future more than we already have
Well said. Rebuilding teams should be acquiring and not trading away picks.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If the Swedish scouts like Edvisson then I'll back it up. No one here has much access to these players except for scouts.

Reactions: Szechwan

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I know it might only be a happy fluke, but have the Canucks ever drafted a Swedish hockey player who totally busted? Seems to me that most of them have actually worked out, even some of the guys drafted later on who ended up making their Canucks debuts. The Sedins, Ohlund, Edler, Pettersson, Hoglander......the Canucks are on a roll with the Tri-Kronor!

Maybe it's Tomas Gradin's golden touch. But if he likes Edvinsson, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He's earned it.

There's always going to be some misses but over the last 15 years: Rodin, Andersson, Westerholm, Blomstrand, Tommenes, Froshaug, Rahimi, Cederholm, Gunnarsson,

Reactions: Bubbles

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

There have been plenty of busts, but the Canucks have done a pretty good job with drafting Swedes with high picks. If our Swedish/European scouts are fighting hard for a player I too would be comfortable with having them make the selection. Depends on who is there of course. I mean you don't want to take Boqvist instead of Hughes just because Boqvist is a Swede.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Just heard Cam Robinson on a podcast say that Luke Hughes is still in a walking boot. It’s been at least 2 months since his injury. Starting to think it might be a real issue.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Clarke
Johnson
Lysell
MacTavish

This is my list at 9th. Pipe dream that Clarke is available at 9 but you never know.

Johnson is the most likely pick to outperform his position just because of his size. His numbers are excellent.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would Add Ceuleman and Svechkov to that list as well. Ceuleman because he is everything we need in a Defenseman and Svechkov because he was really impressive in the 3 games at the U18's that I watched and I believe having Pod to help him transition would be a added bonus.

But out of the list above me Mactavish is the guy I would hope for it he is still on the board and there isnt an obvious faller

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I would Add Ceuleman and Svechkov to that list as well. Ceuleman because he is everything we need in a Defenseman and Svechkov because he was really impressive in the 3 games at the U18's that I watched and I believe having Pod to help him transition would be a added bonus.

But out of the list above me Mactavish is the guy I would hope for it he is still on the board and there isnt an obvious faller

Yeah if Ceulemens or McTavish are available at #10 I would be happy with either.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'm in for Ceulemans, he seems like a great kid, well-spoken, going to college, seems like the kind of player like who will continue to develop and fit in well with the culture. Was very productive at the U18s and played fine defensively there.

Reactions: Fedz

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
The more I watch Ceulemans the more impressed I am, not sure there's much of a gap between the top 4 guys and him. I honestly can't see him not becoming a top 4 D in the NHL, and his ceiling is really high with his size, skill and skating ability. The U18s dispelled a lot of concerns re: decision-making for me.

Morrow should not be considerations with a top 10 pick IMO, simply not the same level of prospect at this point in time. Lambos is a bit of an enigma with the year he's had, but maybe there's something there still.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
It really seems we will be picking between Eklund, Lysell, Johnson, Lucius, Mctavish and Sillinger

Nov 1, 2011
It really seems we will be picking between Eklund, Lysell, Johnson, Lucius, Mctavish and Sillinger

Of that group, Eklund easily.

He could probably step into our top 6 right away.

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser
Eklund - Miller - Podkolzin
Motte - Horvat - Virtanen/Highmore

Actually doesn't look that bad...

Now we just need to figure out how to turn Myers into Dougie Hamilton and we might be okay.

Reactions: Nabrules

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Sillinger has a lot of Boeser in his game. Not just his shot. Go check out whatever games you can find.
Svechkov looked like a guy who should be included in that group for sure, a Russian counterpoint to Mctavish. Like them both. Ceulemans and Lambos have to be in there too. Lucius has great hands and shot but his skating is subpar compared to any forward in that range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad