2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
I am another one who would like to dig deeper into whether a Ceulemans is worth a top 10 pick, simply because he looks like a best fit both positionally and stylistically. Or another RHD like Scott Morrow of course. But is this recent rise of Ceulemans for real?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I wonder if the Canucks try to package that 1st round pick (9th) and make a play for Luke Hughes?
Would you do 9th + Hoglander for example for Luke Hughes (If they 100% get him, at around 4th/5th pick).
Would the other team do it also?

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I wonder if the Canucks try to package that 1st round pick (9th) and make a play for Luke Hughes?
Would you do 9th + Hoglander for example for Luke Hughes (If they 100% get him, at around 4th/5th pick).
We dont have enough wingers and general depth to make a play for trading down to at least 5th. Plus unless BPA i see no reason to go for another LD at this point so trading down for one isnt the best. Heck if we did win i would be up to try and fleece NJ and moving down again.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
We instantly lose that trade.
Most likely, But depends on how good Luke would be.
If Hoglander tops out as a 1st line Winger, but Luke Hughes turns into a #1 Defender.
Assuming the other pick does not turn into a top 3 Winger/Top 2 D also, It would not be the end of the world.
Also the PR alone for the play would be interesting.
On 1 hand - People love Hoglander, on the other hand, getting both hughes brothers would be a good reaction also.
Never gonna happen, but just some thoughts

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I don't want Luke Hughes unless he's the one that drops from the top tier/clear BPA.

I really don't like the idea of two brothers who play the same position and would be fighting for the same role, ice time and ultimately money as a result of that on the team. It just doesn't make sense.

So no I wouldn't trade Hog for that. I don't even want to pick Luke.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I don't want Luke Hughes unless he's the one that drops from the top tier/clear BPA.

I really don't like the idea of two brothers who play the same position and would be fighting for the same role, ice time and ultimately money as a result of that on the team. It just doesn't make sense.

So no I wouldn't trade Hog for that. I don't even want to pick Luke.
Lots of Defenders can play both sides, Putting Quinn on the Right Side would be worth a shot to try out, Since he is not a big shooter anyway, Having him at the opposite side could set more play-making opportunities.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I didn't really care that much about the draft but after watching the team bravely climbing back up through the standings I am going to be following this year's draft very closely. I have no idea what the draft table is like after this last non-year, but I will definitely remember who went in the 4-9 to however further back the lottery puts us back region in this one.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Hoglander is too good a player to risk in that type of deal. He could easily turn into a top-line winger, while Luke Hughes is not guaranteed to be a superstar himself.

Reactions: WhiteCurse

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Hughes plays the right side a bunch in this shift by shift. Anytime he's on the ice 5x5 with Hreschuk (another highly rated left d), or Murcheson, Hughes is playing the right side:
2021 NHL Draft | Luke Hughes (#6) Shift by Shift vs. Muskegon, January 18, 2021 - YouTube
I'd take him #2 behind only Clarke if we move up through the lottery or trade. No way he falls to our pick. USHL looks almost too easy for him.

Edit: Here's another one:2021 NHL Draft | Luke Hughes (#6) Shift by Shift vs. Air Force, December 12, 2020 - YouTube Total shit hockey but Luke Hughes RD seems to be a thing. Playing a lot with Behrens here. Any time he's playing with another lefty, the coach has him on the right side. Is that because he's more comfortable there? or because he's just way better than the other D on this team?

Last edited:

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think I'd trade our hardest working player for anyone in this draft, Hogs is a beauty and no one in this draft is a guaranteed superstar.

Clarke is the player I am most intrigued about, but I expect him to be long gone before the Canucks pick.
Not our 1st and Hog that's for sure. Normal price to move up a few spots is your 1 + 2cnd round. Hogs isn't a 2cnd round pick anymore thats for sure.

Nov 1, 2011
I don’t see how McTavish, Lucius, Sillinger, Ceulemans aren’t in that tier. Could even include Svechkov and Lambos in there too.

Unscientificly, it's because I rarely if ever see those guys ranked ahead of any of the top 8 on anybody's list while sometimes Johnson, Eklund, Edvidson, Guenther, and Clark are in the top 5 (Power, Berniers, and Hughes are seemingly always in the top 5 with Power usually #1).

I will admit that NHL Teams' lists usually have more variance than public lists though and at the end of the day, results will vary a lot, so someone like McTavish, whom I really like, may end up better than someone like Johnson, who's knocks seem significant to me (i.e. plays slow, doesn't move his feet while stickhandling).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think it is is a pretty good bet that we do not have as good a handle on fallers and risers as we usually do. teams are going to see opportunities to steal guys that have been underscouted or have overrated guys go in front of them so they will not be as willing to share their edgy takes with reporters.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is not the draft to move up and trade assets. It's a crapshoot and I bet some of the best players out of this draft will end up being picked later in the first round.

Corson Cuelmans is a sleeper to go in the top 10. 6'2, 200 lbs offensive RHD is very hard to acquire through free agency or trade. He will be a prized asset.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Are you Jim Benning? Let's stop bleeding assets at every turn.

This would only make sense if we had amassed picks over a long period. We have not.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lots of Defenders can play both sides, Putting Quinn on the Right Side would be worth a shot to try out, Since he is not a big shooter anyway, Having him at the opposite side could set more play-making opportunities.

anything is possible and i know he played that side before the nhl at times, but at this point he cannot play solid defence on his strong size.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Are you Jim Benning? Let's stop bleeding assets at every turn.

This would only make sense if we had amassed picks over a long period. We have not.

It’s not farfetched for Benning to do this though. FA might very well want this trade to happen for PR.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know the Sports network draft guys like Bob McKenzie, Craig Button and Sam Cosentino all have a top-10 that look pretty similar.

But in reality. this might be most fluid and unpredictable top-10 in draft history. Any notion that these players have played enough games for the scouts to get good handle on them, is 'wishful thinking' imo.

So absolutely, this wouldn't be the draft to even consider bleeding assets in order to move up, particularly if you're Canucks at 9th overall.

The draft lottery balls will fall on June 3rd.....if the Canucks could actually move up a few spots, they might have a crack at the best player in the draft anyway.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
It’s not farfetched for Benning to do this though. FA might very well want this trade to happen for PR.
Oh **** your right. Along with trading Eriksson and next years first to free up cap space for 6x6 Tyson Barrie.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't get the Ceulemans hype. If he was left handed I don't think anyone here would be interested.

The U18 is driving the consensus rankings right now and that's short sighted IMO.

Obviously it's most of us fans views, but I think fans are in a huge blindspot this season compared to the norms. The consensus 8 doesn't seem like the best 8 to me. It's almost like exposure is driving rankings.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I don't get the Ceulemans hype. If he was left handed I don't think anyone here would be interested.

The U18 is driving the consensus rankings right now and that's short sighted IMO.

Obviously it's most of us fans views, but I think fans are in a huge blindspot this season compared to the norms. The consensus 8 doesn't seem like the best 8 to me. It's almost like exposure is driving rankings.

I think he was thought of very highly entering the year, and the exposure against top competition gave people more certainty on their evaluation of him as an elite prospect based on his play in the AJHL. It didn't create that evaluation out of nowhere. His status as a RHD probably moves him up 1-2 spots for me at most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad