2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Anyone else got a sinking feeling Benning will pick Kent Johnson and he will be bust like Virtanen?

I'm not his biggest fan but less than 1% chance he busts with his resume IMO, being able to be a top contributor in college as a draft-eligible is incredibly impressive and speaks to a high level maturity and readiness for the NHL.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I wonder if the Canucks try to package that 1st round pick (9th) and make a play for Luke Hughes?
Would you do 9th + Hoglander for example for Luke Hughes (If they 100% get him, at around 4th/5th pick).
Would the other team do it also?

I would be really disappointed if the Canucks did something like that. And furious if they gingerly tossed in Hoglander to do it. There are no prospects in the top 10 of this draft worth moving up a few spots for, especially given the lack of assets on this team right now. If there's a player in the middle range of the draft however that they really like that happens to fall in to the 20-30 range then I might consider a less expensive package to move in to a position like that.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I'm not his biggest fan but less than 1% chance he busts with his resume IMO, being able to be a top contributor in college as a draft-eligible is incredibly impressive and speaks to a high level maturity and readiness for the NHL.
But as others have mentioned if you look at a study of his underlying number he is very off.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
But as others have mentioned if you look at a study of his underlying number he is very off.

Guess what, next year he's going to be better as he gets faster and stronger. Why not instead appreciate how effective he is already at that level despite his limitations as a draft-eligible. His production this year is comparable to Trevor Zegras as a draft +1. Talk to me about underlying numbers next year and you might get more of my attention. No one is saying take him 1st overall.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
We should draft:

1st round: Kent Johnson (C)
2nd round: Brent Johnson (RHD)

This team is getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I just dont like johnson personally, someone on the main board made the zegras comparison, play style wise i dont see it, I had zegras in my top 3. He just does not play with enough pace or speed when he has the puck, someone also pointed out yeah his stickhandling is great, but its often at low speeds and he stops moving his feet which he can get away with in college. Can he change that? Maybe, but once he takes another step up in difficulty perhaps to the ahl then the nhl, will he be able to cope with the pace? I get the skill appeal looks sky high and he could pan out, but i dont see it in his overall game.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Not to pile on Johnson but I agree that his pace of play is an issue. There is also so much perimeter play and flashy moves just for the sake of being flashy in his game. Many times I would see him make a nice move on a defender just to end up in the corner and get bumped off the puck. Obviously at some point you just take him and bet on the skill but I would rather take a Mctavish or Sillinger with our pick.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I know the Sports network draft guys like Bob McKenzie, Craig Button and Sam Cosentino all have a top-10 that look pretty similar.

But in reality. this might be most fluid and unpredictable top-10 in draft history. Any notion that these players have played enough games for the scouts to get good handle on them, is 'wishful thinking' imo.

So absolutely, this wouldn't be the draft to even consider bleeding assets in order to move up, particularly if you're Canucks at 9th overall.

The draft lottery balls will fall on June 3rd.....if the Canucks could actually move up a few spots, they might have a crack at the best player in the draft anyway.

I know I asked this a few years ago but how much volatility is actually in ranking for D-1 year to the players draft year? I really don't know. Clearly there is some but how many players make truly massive gains in their draft position and how many fall way down (for reasons other than background issues)? Or is it simply fairly static in general with players moving around a handful of spots as the draft season progresses?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Would be typical for the Canucks to finally win the lottery in a year there is no clear cut #1.

Then go and select someone who could have been had 5-6 picks later.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not to pile on Johnson but I agree that his pace of play is an issue. There is also so much perimeter play and flashy moves just for the sake of being flashy in his game. Many times I would see him make a nice move on a defender just to end up in the corner and get bumped off the puck. Obviously at some point you just take him and bet on the skill but I would rather take a Mctavish or Sillinger with our pick.

That sounds a bit like Zegras in his draft year.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I just dont like johnson personally, someone on the main board made the zegras comparison, play style wise i dont see it, I had zegras in my top 3. He just does not play with enough pace or speed when he has the puck, someone also pointed out yeah his stickhandling is great, but its often at low speeds and he stops moving his feet which he can get away with in college. Can he change that? Maybe, but once he takes another step up in difficulty perhaps to the ahl then the nhl, will he be able to cope with the pace? I get the skill appeal looks sky high and he could pan out, but i dont see it in his overall game.

Zegras has/had a much higher upside and ceiling. Not close imo.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Don't know where this hate against Johnson is coming from. He is arguably the most skilled player in the draft and had a fantastic freshman season. Would be a great pick for us, hometown kid aside.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Don't know where this hate against Johnson is coming from. He is arguably the most skilled player in the draft and had a fantastic freshman season. Would be a great pick for us, hometown kid aside.

Yes not sure why he is being targeted, he arguably had a better season than Beniers and is being labelled the most skilled player in the first round.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so looking at this list, which team will move way up if you assume that is rigged by the nhl for selfish business marketing reasons (filtered by whether teams are on good terms with bettman)? i am thinking kings or ducks are getting help.

BUF: 17.1%
ANA: 12.5%
SEA: 10.6%
NJD: 10.6%
CBJ: 8.8%
DET: 7.8%
SJS: 6.9%
LAK: 6.0%
VAN: 5.9%
OTT: 4.6%
CHI: 2.8%
CGY: 2.3%
PHI: 1.9%
DAL: 1.4%
NYR: 1.0%

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

The point is that few players even play in the NCAA in their draft year. It's a higher level than most draft-eligibles are expected to play at, and the relative pace of play he's being compared against is higher. It's like being upset that a 16 yo is "getting away with" things in major junior, when you should be recognizing that this is player is actually ahead of the curve in terms of how much success they are having.

Another guy who I think will garner top 10 consideration who isn't being talked about much yet is Coronato. I think he has some serious fans out there.

A 2nd-mid round target to look at would be Logan Mailloux, huge RHD who really took a big step forward this year and seems to be really good already in all the key areas despite being somewhat raw.

Reactions: Szechwan

Nov 1, 2011
I would be really disappointed if the Canucks did something like that. And furious if they gingerly tossed in Hoglander to do it. There are no prospects in the top 10 of this draft worth moving up a few spots for, especially given the lack of assets on this team right now. If there's a player in the middle range of the draft however that they really like that happens to fall in to the 20-30 range then I might consider a less expensive package to move in to a position like that.

I actually doubt there are any prospects as good as Hoglander to come outside of the top 5.

Where does Hoglander go in a re-draft right now?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think Kent Johnson is the biggest swing for the fences pick anywhere from 5th to 15th, he just has the highest ceiling out of anybody in the draft and would be exactly the finisher our team would be looking to land, Podkolzin may not be ideal for our top six and personally feel he belongs as an elite 3rd liner who you put out in the right situation, KJ is the guy you start in the offensive zone and let him work

Kent Johnson has become my Zegras this year

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The point is that few players even play in the NCAA in their draft year. It's a higher level than most draft-eligibles are expected to play at, and the relative pace of play he's being compared against is higher. It's like being upset that a 16 yo is "getting away with" things in major junior, when you should be recognizing that this is player is actually ahead of the curve in terms of how much success they are having.

Another guy who I think will garner top 10 consideration who isn't being talked about much yet is Coronato. I think he has some serious fans out there.

A 2nd-mid round target to look at would be Logan Mailloux, huge RHD who really took a big step forward this year and seems to be really good already in all the key areas despite being somewhat raw.
I don't agree with what you're putting down here. You don't celebrate production, if you don't agree with how it's getting gained....is that not the reason teams shy away from Shinkaruk's and such?

Your defenses are exactly what they said about Shinkaruk. I don't mean to compare the players, just the defense you're using.

Interesting you brought up Coronato....if production was all that matters, his 48 USHL goals should have him close to top. I watched that video of all his goals this season yesterday. Impressive finisher.

Do you think the NCAA was as strong as usual this season? It seemed like more players than normal went pro due to the pandemic, but that could just be an incorrect assumption.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
If we don't win lottery and pick 9, I think we have to just take the faller. We could get a very good player at this pick range.

I don't know who falls out of the top 8 but we have to swing for value with this pick, ignore position.

Powers gone, Beniers gone, Clarke gone, likely Guenther and Edvinsson gone. This leaves Hughes, Eklund, Johnson, Wallstedt.

I don't mind the idea of McTavish as I think he'd be a great fit, but I think someone will fall to us which surprises people, maybe even Hughes (although I'd be surprised if New Jersey passes on him)

As per Johnson, in my initial viewings in Michigan, I loved him. If he falls to us I have zero issues with swinging on his skillset and upside. Put him with Pete or Horvat and on our top pp, gross. He's just so silky and fun to watch, oozes skill.

Lysell would be a nice pick around 10 as well, imo. So much upside and is such a dynamic player.

I think Svechkov could be a decent pick here, as he's a great two way Center.

I don't have enough viewings of Lambos or Coulemans to comment, however I did like Coulemans at u18s, so I think he's a pretty safe pick. But I get the sense we could trade down for him and snag another pick. (Like Philly did with Cam York)

Anyways, I'm excited for this draft. Love Eklund, Beniers, Hughes, Clarke, Power, Johnson, Guenther while being a little less sure of Edvinsson, but liked his progression through the u18s. And love Lysells skillset and potential, MacTavish's compete, Coulemans skating, Wallstedts franchise goalie potential. We should get a good player.

I'm shocked some people are saying no to Johnson at 9.. I don't even see him falling, but if he's still on the board I think it's a no brainer.

Anyways, all this said, if one of the top guys fall, regardless of position, I think we have to take them.

Reactions: Szechwan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder if the Canucks try to package that 1st round pick (9th) and make a play for Luke Hughes?
Would you do 9th + Hoglander for example for Luke Hughes (If they 100% get him, at around 4th/5th pick).
Would the other team do it also?

No way. That's like trading a mid first round pick to move up a few spots. Not worth it in this draft. If there's a guy that the team really wants, I'm okay with trading a 2nd to move up. Not Hoglander.

At this point, Hoglander should be considered one of the team's core players. You don't trade him unless you're getting a stud player in return which usually means you don't trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad