Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft: The Home Stretch, Draft July 23-24

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Currently doing a mock draft over on the Habs board. I'll be waiting for a job offer in my mailbox!

:wings

Draft Haul

6. Matthew Beniers (C) - University of Michigan
22. Simon Robertsson (RW) -- Skelleftea (SHL)
37. Alexander Kisakov (F) -- Dynamo Moskava (MHL)
47. Olen Zellweger (D) -- Everett (WHL)
51. Wyatt Johnston (C) -- Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
69: Cole Huckins (C) -- Acadie-Bathurst Titans (QMJHL)
93. Kirill Gerasimyuk (G) -- SKA Varyagi (MHL)
101. Victor Stjernborg (C) --Vaxjo (SHL)
127. Ilya Safonov (C) -- AK Bars Kazan (KHL)
133. Zack Ostapchuk (F) -- Vancouver Giants (WHL)
137. Marcus Almquist (F) -- HV71 J20​
Don’t give us hope beniers is available

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Same. There are a lot of really good options that project as top 9 and top 6 wingers at the NHL level.

I just think that unless you are picking Beniers or Svechkov, with a 50/50 award to McTavish, you are taking a winger if you select a forward. They'd have to go out of their way to take either a goalie or defenseman at 6 and 23 to ensure they don't end up with a winger.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
How does Edvinsson compare as a prospect to Sanderson from last year?

Edvinsson is a slightly better skater (not as a knock on Jake. Both are great skaters but Edvinsson really damn good) but his passing isn't as good and his shot is worse as well. I think Jake will be better on the offensive end while I don't think there will be much of a difference on the defensive side of the puck. I do think that Sanderson looked like a prospect with a higher likelihood to reach his potential than Edvinsson currently does. They're not far apart, though.

I'd say when looking at some of the guys I think are his comparables from the last 3 drafts that Edvinsson is similar to I'd rank them like this as prospects.

Sanderson > Edvinsson > Dobson > Broberg

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
How does Edvinsson compare as a prospect to Sanderson from last year?
Edvinsson is a better skater. Sanderson was meaner, more actively physical. I like Edvinsson's ability to gap up and defend in transition better but I think Sanderson was better in his own zone. Edvinsson tries to do too much offensively, Sanderson doesn't try to do enough. Sanderson is a safer passer that mostly produces by skating the puck up ice and then making simple plays. Edvinsson will try to hit his man with a surprising stretch pass or something a little more risky that doesn't always work out. The offensive highlights for either are mostly great rushes. I think Sanderson's shot is better. Both project as defensively-slanted two-way defenseman that can skate and use their size, but I have Edvinsson as the better prospect with more upside. I view both as having very high floors, but I never saw, and still don't really see as high of a ceiling for Sanderson. I wasn't a big fan of Sanderson last year and while I have warmed up on him since, I still don't like him nearly as much as some posters on here- so you can take that into account.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I think I'm going all in on a Matty Beniers pick for the Wings. Is it the right pick? Just seems other teams are going to over think him and we will get him. I like others upsides better but he is a solid NHL 2C center.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think I'm going all in on a Matty Beniers pick for the Wings. Is it the right pick? Just seems other teams are going to over think him and we will get him. I like others upsides better but he is a solid NHL 2C center.
Beniers ain’t falling to 6. Likely doesn’t get past Seattle at 2

Reactions: alexislafreniere

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sanderson is a monster transition defenseman. Might never be more than a 2nd unit PP guy, but his 5 on 5 play is going to be his calling card. Will probably also be a top unit PK guy.
Edvinsson has the size advantage and not much else.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I give it a 60/40 chance we acquire more second rounders on draft day with teams scrambling to make panic trades and acquire cap space. I think if there was ever an easy year to trade up would be this year, if I was Steve I would be all over using 22 to trade up for cossa. That gives us an immediate blue chip goalie prospect, furthering along the wagon we are creating.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Pronman and Wheeler flexed their "sources" to put together a consensus ranking for the draft. Sources vary from independent public/private evaluators to independent scouting organizations. Interesting piece.

NHL Draft Consensus Big Board: Top 100 prospects for 2021

Tier 1:
1. Owen Power
2. Matthew Beniers
3. William Eklund

Tier 2:
4. Brandt Clarke
5. Dylan Guenther
6. Luke Hughes
7. Mason McTavish
8. Simon Edvinsson

Tier 3:
9. Kent Johnson
10. Jesper Wallstedt
11. Cole Sillinger
12. Chaz Lucius
13. Fabian Lysell

upload_2021-7-21_10-33-22.png

Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sometimes less is more....

Well a consensus is what? The combination of opinions to get a wholistic perspective?

I think their stance is that by increasing the amount of "educated" opinions, you begin to factor in the full extent of variety, and get closest to what a draft board looks like if you combined all NHL teams.

Still inexact, but one list is a list. Two lists is a difference of opinion. 20+ lists is actually getting close to a consensus.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Edvinsson is a better skater. Sanderson was meaner, more actively physical. I like Edvinsson's ability to gap up and defend in transition better but I think Sanderson was better in his own zone. Edvinsson tries to do too much offensively, Sanderson doesn't try to do enough. Sanderson is a safer passer that mostly produces by skating the puck up ice and then making simple plays. Edvinsson will try to hit his man with a surprising stretch pass or something a little more risky that doesn't always work out. The offensive highlights for either are mostly great rushes. I think Sanderson's shot is better. Both project as defensively-slanted two-way defenseman that can skate and use their size, but I have Edvinsson as the better prospect with more upside. I view both as having very high floors, but I never saw, and still don't really see as high of a ceiling for Sanderson. I wasn't a big fan of Sanderson last year and while I have warmed up on him since, I still don't like him nearly as much as some posters on here- so you can take that into account.

Most guys that play for North Dakota are. A lot of skilled hard-asses tend to end up in Grand Forks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well a consensus is what? The combination of opinions to get a wholistic perspective?

I think their stance is that by increasing the amount of "educated" opinions, you begin to factor in the full extent of variety, and get closest to what a draft board looks like if you combined all NHL teams.

Still inexact, but one list is a list. Two lists is a difference of opinion. 20+ lists is actually getting close to a consensus.

I understand the thought process of the exercise.

But given that I know I don’t value all those opinions equally, it’s hard for me to take the end result as anything substantial.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

But given that I know I don’t value all those opinions equally, it’s hard for me to take the end result as anything substantial.

Like anything, it is only as good as the data going in. There are very few barriers to entering the public scouting market. You don't even need to watch live hockey at this point.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

That's no different than me saying I don't value Edmonton's opinions in the draft the same as the Wings, therefore it is unqualified. No?

I don't value those opinions, but they are still opinions on the draft class and the variety of opinions is what makes a consensus informational.

Like Lysell is all over the map, but depending what sources you like, you might think that he's going to be available at 23 when the reality is some people will have a top 10 grade on him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's no different than me saying I don't value Edmonton's opinions in the draft the same as the Wings, therefore it is unqualified. No?

I don't value those opinions, but they are still opinions on the draft class and the variety of opinions is what makes a consensus informational.

Like Lysell is all over the map, but depending what sources you like, you might think that he's going to be available at 23 when the reality is some people will have a top 10 grade on him.

You are free to do with the information what you'd like.

Maybe what I said amounts to me being a dick, but I'm just being honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad