Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft: The Home Stretch, Draft July 23-24

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Draft-related URLs:

Article from Pronman with quotes from scouts/executives on top prospects: NHL Draft Confidential: Inside what scouts and executives really think about the top prospects (paywall)

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Obviously a small sample size, but there are some interesting comments in there from the article by Pronman.

Almost every player you see some variance of opinions on, even the guys at the top. What I found interesting were the comments on Wallstedt. I thought they would be a bit more glowing than that. I am not as sure we see him go in the top 10.

“I worry that the hype on him has exceeded what he really is. He’s such a structured, technical goalie (who’s) always been so far ahead of his peers in that regard, but as a pure NHL athlete the tools don’t really blow you away.”
“There is something special about him. His hockey sense is among the best I’ve ever seen in a draft-eligible goaltender.”
“He’s very smart, technically refined, but he may just be a finished product that developed ahead of schedule. I think he plays, he starts, but I don’t see a sky-high projection you’d like for a potential top half of the first-round goaltender.”

Reactions: alexislafreniere

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Obviously a small sample size, but there are some interesting comments in there from the article by Pronman.

Almost every player you see some variance of opinions on, even the guys at the top. What I found interesting were the comments on Wallstedt. I thought they would be a bit more glowing than that. I am not as sure we see him go in the top 10.

Eww...you quoted a Pronman player evaluation. You should go to the box and feel shame.

On Wallstedt, I've mentioned this in another thread, but he's far more advanced than Cossa and Gaudreau as a goalie at this point and the metrics on site used to measure goaltender athleticism (up/down, post-to-post time, rebound control) are generally better than his peers in this draft while playing in a much tougher league.

Scouting Report: Benjamin Gaudreau - Smaht Scouting

Scouting Report: Sebastian Cossa - Smaht Scouting

If you look at the Tableau charts in those articles you can faintly see Wallstedt's Lulea logo grayed out. He's...pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

There's for sure opportunity cost when drafting a goaltender high; we're missing out on a potential 22 minute a night LD or an 18 minute a night potential top 6 C. But I think when we look Wallstedt there's a really high likelihood he is a legit starting quality top 15 goalie in the league with a pretty good chance of him being a top 5 guy.

Putting numbers on it, I'm of the opinion there's a greater than 75% that Wallstedt becomes a rock solid 50+ game starting goalie. There's a lot of skaters I like at #6 but I think we're looking at a much lower likelihood of them reaching top 6/top 4 status than Wallstedt, depending on the player in question.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So do not draft him early is what he is implying?

To be fair, all the projected top 10 guys had a mix of good and bad opinions for the most part.

I just not heard these particular criticisms of Wallstedt before.

Reactions: wings95

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ah, I see. Now I feel shame. :(

Lol, I think Wallstedt can become a quality starter. And worthy of being taken pretty high in this draft. I just don't know that I agree he has the upside Askarov or Knight did, personally. I think both those guys were pretty special and unique as far as athletically.

Goalies are hard to evaluate though, so could be wrong on that.

Reactions: wings95

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought the comments on Beniers were also pretty underwhelming, I wonder if teams start to doubt his upside as the draft gets closer.

Edvinsson had a really big mix of opinions as well.

Seems like folks are all over the board with this draft class.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Lol, I think Wallstedt can become a quality starter. And worthy of being taken pretty high in this draft. I just don't know that I agree he has the upside Askarov or Knight did, personally. I think both those guys were pretty special and unique as far as athletically.

Goalies are hard to evaluate though, so could be wrong on that.

From what I've seen of Wallstedt this year I think he has every right to be in the discussion with Knight and Askarov. Wallstedt is less athletic than Askarov but much more technically sound. Wallstedt is not as technically sound as Knight but also much more athletic.

Knight and Askarov were picked outside of the top 10 but were thought of very highly in their draft years. Both of those guys in a redraft would move up several spots, and with Wallstedt being ranked consistently in the top 10 I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with Wallstedt if someone is too scared of drafting a goalie high.

It's entirely possible for Wallstedt to be the safe pick AND the best pick.

Edit: fixed a copy/paste error

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What were the thoughts on Eklund and johnson?

Eklund was mostly really positive. There's a quote from 1 person at the end questioning his size/speed for the range he is projected in, otherwise it was pretty glowing.

Johnson was mostly negative I'd say, but with acknowledgement of his high skill level.

Eklund had 3 quotes and Johnson had 5 quotes. Not sure how much I can share or not. I joined for 1$/month FWIW, and that price is good through November for me.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Eklund was mostly really positive. There's a quote from 1 person at the end questioning his size/speed for the range he is projected in, otherwise it was pretty glowing.

Johnson was mostly negative I'd say, but with acknowledgement of his high skill level.

Eklund had 3 quotes and Johnson had 5 quotes. Not sure how much I can share or not. I joined for 1$/month FWIW, and that price is good through November for me.

10-4 thx

I'pretty high on Eklund followed by Wallstedt but can understand the appeal of Johnson

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at with Wallstedt. Cleary a very good goalie prospect, I won't throw a tantrum if he's our pick (although I don't see it after Yzerman's comments). I'm also not a great evaluator of goalie prospects, I never really played goalie outside of youth levels.

In my own viewings, and after trying to read everything on Wallstedt, I just don't see quite enough there to bet with the #6 pick. If I could wave a magic wand and add him to our prospect pool I'd love to, he'd of course be our best goalie prospect in ages. But I'm just not quite sold enough on his upside to bet on him over some other players that I anticipate will be available.

I'm glad some folks here are bullish on Wallstedt though, it makes discussion a bit more varied.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What were the thoughts on Eklund and johnson?
They were surprisingly critical of Johnson. Everyone acknowledged that he is very skilled and there was one person that felt he'll be a steal if he goes outside the top 5. The others all gave some combination of the criticisms that they don't like his skating, feel he's too much a perimeter player, can't put it all together and will be a winger at the next level. It gave me the impression that he'll go closer to 10th overall than 5th overall.

With Eklund one guy gave the concerns about his lack of elite skating for a guy his size. The others liked him a lot as dynamic, having great agility and skill and the "it" factor to be a difference-maker.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They were surprisingly critical of Johnson. Everyone acknowledged that he is very skilled and there was one person that felt he'll be a steal if he goes outside the top 5. The others all gave some combination of the criticisms that they don't like his skating, feel he's too much a perimeter player, can't put it all together and will be a winger at the next level. It gave me the impression that he'll go closer to 10th overall than 5th overall.

Yeah, Zegras went 9th. Would not surprised me if Johnson goes around there too. Would not be surprised if Detroit is not that interested in him at 6.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
From what I've seen of Wallstedt this year I think he has every right to be in the discussion with Knight and Askarov. Wallstedt is less athletic than Askarov but much more technically sound. Wallstedt is also more athletic than Knight but also much more athletic.

Knight and Askarov were picked outside of the top 10 but were thought of very highly in their draft years. Both of those guys in a redraft would move up several spots, and with Wallstedt being ranked consistently in the top 10 I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with Wallstedt if someone is too scared of drafting a goalie high.

It's entirely possible for Wallstedt to be the safe pick AND the best pick.
Technically of Vasilevsky/Fleury/Price/Hellebuyck, one could argue that Fleury is the most athletic, Price is the most technically sound, Vasilevsky has the highest IQ, and Hellebuyck has the most well-rounded overall package but not high in any of the categories that make the other three elite. That being said, taking any one of them with a first round pick doesn't mean you've drafted an inferior goalie. That's how I view Wallstedt. He may not be the most athletic, but if his technical skill and IQ are superior...you grab him and run away giggling because you've drafted a #1 goalie.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

With Eklund one guy gave the concerns about his lack of elite skating for a guy his size. The others liked him a lot as dynamic, having great agility and skill and the "it" factor to be a difference-maker.
I find the discussion around Eklund's skating to be very interesting and how you feel about it seems to depend a lot on what you like in a skater. For me it's all about acceleration and motor and that's why I think his skating is really good and won't hold him back at all. He's great at stopping and starting, changing direction and getting up to speed in a stride. His top speed however isn't all that fast. So for people watching for a burner they're not impressed. For people watching for someone that can navigate through seams with quick cuts and evasiveness, he's really high-end.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
To be fair, all the projected top 10 guys had a mix of good and bad opinions for the most part.

I just not heard these particular criticisms of Wallstedt before.
This draft is going to be fun to see which staff is right and lucky!

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Yeah, Zegras went 9th. Would not surprised me if Johnson goes around there too. Would not be surprised if Detroit is not that interested in him at 6.

Yeah, the two players I'd say are most similar to Johnson the last two drafts are Perfetti and Zegras, and they went #10 and #9 respectively. It only takes one team to fall in love with him, but barring that I think he probably goes towards the back end of the top 10.

I still think it's a big mistake. Johnson grew and matured so much on the ice this year. I expect some buyer's remorse when he's massacring the B1G next year.

Reactions: MBH

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Here are a few I've bookmarked as well:

2019.11 | Craig Button (TSN)
2019.12 | Josh Bell (The Hockey Writers)
2020.02 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) [paywall]
2020.04 | Tony Ferrari (Dobber Prospects)
2020.04 | Raw Charge
2020.08 | Jokke Nevalainen (Dobber Prospects)
2020.09 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) [paywall]
2020.09 | Ashley Glover (Recruit Scouting)
2020.09 | Josh Bell (The Hockey Writers)
2020.09 | Draft Prospects Hockey
2020.10 | Ryan Quinley (Broad Street Hockey)
2020.10 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic) [paywall]
2020.10 | Alex Taxman (Future Scope Hockey)
2020.10 | Gabriel Foley (Last Word On Sports)
2020.11 | Tony Ferrari (Dobber Prospects)
2020.11 | Neutral Zone
2020.11 | Hockey Prospect
2020.11 | Will Scouch (Scouching)
2020.11 | Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet)
2020.11 | Josh Tessler (Smaht Scouting)
2020.12 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) [paywall]
2020.12 | Tyson Quibell (The Painted Lines)
2020.12 | Austin Brass (Die by the Blade)
2020.12 | Bob McKenzie (The Sports Network)
2020.12 | Colin Cudmore & Ary M (Silver Seven)
2021.01 | David Ciss (The Puck Authority)
2021.01 | Alex Taxman (Future Scope)
2021.01 | Peter Baracchini (The Hockey Writers)
2021.01 | J.D. Burke (Elite Prospects)
2021.01 | Cam Robinson (Dobber Prospects)
2021.01 | Mike Morreale (NHL.com)
2021.02 | Brock Otten (McKeen's Hockey)
2021.02 | Matthew Zator (The Hockey Writers)
2021.02 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic) [paywall]
2021.02 | Josh Tessler (Smaht Scouting)
2021.02 | Andrew Forbes (The Hockey Writers)
2021.02 | Dan Stewart (Draft Prospects Hockey)
2021.02 | Will Scouch (Scouching)
2021.02 | Recruit Scouting
2021.03 | Peter Harling (Dobber Prospects)
2021.03 | Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst)
2021.03 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) [paywall]
2021.03 | Tony Ferrari (Dobber Prospects)
2021.03 | Peter Baracchini (The Hockey Writers)
2021.03 | Tyson Quibell (The Painted Lines)
2021.03 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic) [paywall]
2021.04 | Matthew Zator (The Hockey Writers)
2021.04 | Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet)
2021.04 | Hockey Prospect
2021.04 | Curtis Schwartzkopf (The Charging Buffalo)
2021.04 | On The Forecheck
2021.04 | Dan Stewart (Draft Prospects Hockey)
2021.04 | Bob McKenzie (The Sports Network)
2021.04 | Brock Otten (McKeen's Hockey)
2021.04 | Mike G. Morreale (NHL.com)
2021.04 | Ryan Kennedy (Sports Illustrated)
2021.04 | Josh Bell (FC Hockey / Sporting News)
2021.04 | Larry Fisher (UFFS)
2021.05 | Craig Button (TSN)
2021.05 | Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet)
2021.05 | Andrew Forbes (The Hockey Writers)
2021.05 | J.D. Burke (EP Rinkside)
2021.05 | Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst)
2021.06 | NHL Central Scouting
2021.06 | Will Scouch (Scouching)
2021.06 | Chris Peters (Hockey Sense) [paywall]
2021.06 | Tony Farrari (Dobber Prospects)
2021.06 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) [paywall]
2021.06 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic) [paywall]

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I threw out this comparison last year and was rebuked for it, but Kent Johnson makes me think of Kyle Turris.

Same junior league then took the NCAA route. Similar draft profiles and skillsets as flashy and skilled center/wingers, similar physical profiles.
https://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kyle_turris

Highlight of the Night: Scouting Report: Kyle Turris - NHL Draft Prospect

I don't think Kent Johnson is as good a skater as Turris was at the same stage of development but I think that's more an issue of strength than technique.

That being said, if we are gambling at #6 because the player we marked as the best at that spot (regardless of position) is gone, then I really hope our backup is not Johnson. I have real reservations about him becoming a top end scorer in the NHL.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I threw out this comparison last year and was rebuked for it, but Kent Johnson makes me think of Kyle Turris.

Same junior league then took the NCAA route. Similar draft profiles and skillsets as flashy and skilled center/wingers, similar physical profiles.
Kyle Turris - Hockey's Future

Highlight of the Night: Scouting Report: Kyle Turris - NHL Draft Prospect

I don't think Kent Johnson is as good a skater as Turris was at the same stage of development but I think that's more an issue of strength than technique.

That being said, if we are gambling at #6 because the player we marked as the best at that spot (regardless of position) is gone, then I really hope our backup is not Johnson. I have real reservations about him becoming a top end scorer in the NHL.
I don't hate the Turris comparison but I do think Johnson's skill is a little better. He's really good. He wouldn't be my pick at 6 but if I had to pick the guy we're going to regret passing on, it's Johnson.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't hate the Turris comparison but I do think Johnson's skill is a little better. He's really good. He wouldn't be my pick at 6 but if I had to pick the guy we're going to regret passing on, it's Johnson.

To be fair, Turris was every bit the phenom Johnson was in his BCHL season as well. It was less video game moves but still a lot of razzle-dazzle. There was a time that people thought Turris was going to be better than Patrick Kane.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
To be fair, Turris was every bit the phenom Johnson was in his BCHL season as well. It was less video game moves but still a lot of razzle-dazzle. There was a time that people thought Turris was going to be better than Patrick Kane.
That's why I think Johnson is only "a little better." People also seem to forget that Turris was really good as he broke into the NHL. I think we'd have to be pretty happy if we drafted Johnson and that's what he became

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00