Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft: The Home Stretch, Draft July 23-24

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020

I'd agree with a lot of these skill rankings. One change is putting Lucius in the best puck skills category. Really reassuring to see Zellwegger rated so well - I kept bumping him up every time I watched video, so I had to stop before he broke the top 15

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I am not complaining at all, I just saying that SY not collecting, but loosing picks and it is only means we're not tanking, that's all

The Leddy trade and the Ned trade today make me think Yzerman is gearing up for a run. You don't trade for a guy like Ned to tank him into the ground and ruin his career.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
anyone else think it's weird that they have Eklund at first or second in almost every category but have him at 5th in their ranking?
That’s pretty hilarious. That’s how I have felt about Eklund this whole process. He is more impressive than Raymond was last year, and Raymond was drafted 4th in a strong draft. I don’t understand how Eklund isn’t the consensus number 3 in a weaker draft, using that logic. No one wants to give him his due

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That’s pretty hilarious. That’s how I have felt about Eklund this whole process. He is more impressive than Raymond was last year, and Raymond was drafted 4th in a strong draft. I don’t understand how Eklund isn’t the consensus number 3 in a weaker draft, using that logic. No one wants to give him his due

I think Lucas Raymond projects to be a lot better NHL player, Raymond has a legit NHL shot and is a real duel threat player. We will see, he has more offensive versatility to date. Raymond drove the most offense at the WJC this year according to the fancy stats, he does plenty of things to merit his standing.

I actually find Lysell the better skater of the two. But there is a lot of flash to Eklund, he actually gives me some Jonathan Drouin vibes. But I will trust the pick if the Wings get him, but I was thrilled to get Raymond, actually had him at #3 in front of Stutzle. I think he has more upside, people are freaking out a little too much over Raymond's year in my opinion. He looked the part of a very dangerous offensive player when you actually watched the games, at least he did to me.

Reactions: Realgud

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Here's a fun thought: If the Wings had started rebuilding properly in 2012 after Lidstrom retired, they probably would've landed multiple top-3 picks before the draft was overhauled in 2016. As soon as they dropped in the standings and started missing the playoffs, the draft was overhauled and prevented them from drafting better than 4th. Just more salt for the wound.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Lucas Raymond projects to be a lot better NHL player, Raymond has a legit NHL shot and is a real duel threat player. We will see, he has more offensive versatility to date. Raymond drove the most offense at the WJC this year according to the fancy stats, he does plenty of things to merit his standing.

I actually find Lysell the better skater of the two. But there is a lot of flash to Eklund, he actually gives me some Jonathan Drouin vibes. But I will trust the pick if the Wings get him, but I was thrilled to get Raymond, actually had him at #3 in front of Stutzle. I think he has more upside, people are freaking out a little too much over Raymond's year in my opinion. He looked the part of a very dangerous offensive player when you actually watched the games, at least he did to me.

I don’t view his skating and puck skill as high as others, re: Eklund. I think his hockey sense is really really good, and his shot is good.

I think that’s why I’m not quite as high on him as others.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Here's a fun thought: If the Wings had started rebuilding properly in 2012 after Lidstrom retired, they probably would've landed multiple top-3 picks before the draft was overhauled in 2016. As soon as they dropped in the standings and started missing the playoffs, the draft was overhauled and prevented them from drafting better than 4th. Just more salt for the wound.
Old Man Mike wanted to keep the streak going while he was alive. Who's to argue against the wishes of a dying man after all he did for the team?

Sucks that the rebuild got delayed, but what made it worse was crappy drafting. So there's no guarantee that starting the rebuild sooner would have resulted in a better team because Holland would still have been in charge of drafting and developing players. Look at how well his top 10 picks have done so far....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t view his skating and puck skill as high as others, re: Eklund. I think his hockey sense is really really good, and his shot is good.

I think that’s why I’m not quite as high on him as others.

I honestly don't think he shoots enough is a part of my problem with his shot. But yeah, I have some concerns on him. I think people are right if he homeruns he can be a terrific player, but he might just be a second line playmaking winger. It isn't like that is a bad thing, but it seems like something we already have, I also don't agree on some of the skating stuff. I don't see that, but he has very good skating. He had a good year, I guess we will have to see where he goes, he left me wanting at times when I watched him.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
That would be a killer haul. Heimosalmi falls into that Eemil Viro/Albert Johansson type of smooth skating puck mover.

The other 3 would be a Babcock wet dream if you want grit and skill.
Babcock didn’t even have our teams play that gritty, he just played a shut down game. I wish we were more gritty in the end of the 2000s, I think that’s why the penguins beat us in the rematch. With that being said I absolutely would love those guys as picks, especially Mctavish and l’hereux.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Eklund is my #1 guy, potential is skyhigh. Down the road you could have Eklund and Raymond on 1 line.

Some thoughts about him:

There is a small chance he becomes a center, his best position is on the wing. He is a great offensive transition player, is great along the boards, quick on his feet. Turns quick. Has a a lot of skill. He is a buzzsaw kind of player who can cover a ton of ice without the puck, control transitions extremely well with it, drive offense through his playmaking and the odd dangerous attack here and there, and while his second half trailed his first, he could be an excellent scoring piece to add to a team's top six assuming he isn't relied upon to carry a line.

Tons of fun to watch, and tons of potential once he gets stronger on feet. He is not there yet in terms of strength. He's a player that drives offensive play so well from the boards with pace, skill, speed, and produces extremely well for an SHL player. Eklund could be a first line scorer with line drivers playing with him, it's just a matter of finding those in other ways than through the 2021 NHL Draft.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
1. Eklund
2. Beneirs
3. Mctavish
4. Power
5. Johnson
6. Walstad
7. Svetchkov

My board if I’m red wings GM

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Pronman's Final Mock:

NHL Mock Draft 3.0: What I'm hearing about how the first round will play out

1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Eklund
4. Hughes
5. Edvinsson

6. Detroit: Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough-OHL
Detroit is the common team I’ve heard teams speculate “could they go goalie” in the top 10, but I think ultimately the Red Wings will take a skater, with McTavish becoming a core piece of their rebuild as a top center prospect. Edvinsson would be in the mix, as well, if McTavish goes to Columbus.

23. Detroit: Fabian Lysell, RW, Lulea-SHL
Where Lysell ultimately ends up has been a big debate in scouting circles this summer, with some saying with conviction he’s a top-15 lock and others saying he for sure will not go top 20. I think it makes a lot of sense for him to go early 20s and for Detroit to take a swing on a dynamic player with its second first-round pick. Chibrikov makes a lot of sense here, too. (Chibrikov went 22)

McTavish and Lysell would be sweet, major talent coming to the forward core.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
If everybody mocks McTavish to Detroit, does mean there is basically no chance he ends up there as Yzerman leaks nothing? Like everybody expected them to draft Perfetti last year and they didn't. But again, blind squirrel, nut...

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
NHL Mock Draft 2.0: From 1 to 224, Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds – The Athletic

Corey Pronman of The Athletic dropped his 7 round mock today. It's behind a paywall, but below is who he has the Wings taking. Not much to say outside of probably the first 2-3 rounds since he has us taking no LD and 2 goalies the rest of the way.

Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough-OHL (6)
Isak Rosen, RW, Leksands-SHL (23)
Logan Stankoven, C, Kamloops-WHL (38)
Prokhor Poltapov, LW, CSKA-MHL (48)
Danila Klimovich, RW, Minsk Zubry-Belarus Jr. (52)
Benjamin Gaudreau, G, Sarnia-OHL (70)
Liam Dower Nilsson, C, Frolunda-Sweden Jr. (94)
Ben Roger, RHD, London-OHL (102)
Joe Vrbetic, G, North Bay-OHL (128)
Manix Landry, C, Gatineau-QMJHL (134)
Brody Lamb, RW, Dodge County-US High School (138)
Simon Motew, RHD, Kitchener-OHL (166)
Rosen and Poltapov? Two of my favorites. I would be thrilled with this result even if I am not so high on McTavish.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00