Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft: The Home Stretch, Draft July 23-24

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We just lost our second pic of this draft. Is it because Yzerman doesn't like much what he see. This draft probably going to shape for us like 2017

Because we got a young, very talentedc goalie (on paper at least) for a 3rd round pick. That's a good value trade and I think that's why. I doubt it has anything to do with the draft looking bad.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Pretty much means that we wont pick Wallstedt. Cossa still a possibility at 22 overall.

Someone on these boards: "Cossa to Detroit."

Me:
giphy.gif

Reactions: golffuul

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
McKenzie: "Just a guess: Top 5 will consist of 3 F’s and 2 D"
With Power gone for sure, that would mean two of Edvinsson/Hughes/Clarke available for us.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We just lost our second pic of this draft. Is it because Yzerman doesn't like much what he see. This draft probably going to shape for us like 2017
Strange way to look at a gift horse in the mouth. Starting goalie for a third round pick? You take that in any draft.

BTW, 2015 was even worse. The 135th pick in the draft managed 4x more points in his rookie season than all of the Wings pick combined, which is basically Svech now.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
With Power gone for sure, that would mean two of Edvinsson/Hughes/Clarke available for us.

Notice how he conveniently leaves out the "G" from the pick right after the top 5. :naughty:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, the Wings bad luck continues, getting this many picks in an unscouted, pandemic year draft that would've been super weak even if everything had gone well.

This is the kind of draft where having a guy like Hakan comes in handy.

Reactions: golffuul

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Means absolutely nothing because the separation is occurring in the press, not the actual NHL scouts. However, I think the forwards are safer picks. Hughes, Edvinsson, and Clarke could all be stars or complete busts. Much harder to project because they all have at least one area of major weakness.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah, the Wings bad luck continues, getting this many picks in an unscouted, pandemic year draft that would've been super weak even if everything had gone well.

Could also be where having the extra 2nd and 3rd rounders might garner us a player that ends up being a really good player because they weren't as well scouted or could have had a better development during the down-time than expected.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Hakan: "Pick the Swede!"

Detroit: "Which one?"

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I am still hoping for Wallstedt at 6. If both Wallstedt and Ned pan out you have a hell of a trade chip.

Hey, I was all in on the Wallstedt train but goalies are anything but great trade chips. Ned was 3rd in Calder voting and was got for a late 3rd round pick.

When was the last time a king's ransom was paid for a goalie? Hasek to Detroit?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Hey, I was all in on the Wallstedt train but goalies are anything but great trade chips. Ned was 3rd in Calder voting and was got for a late 3rd round pick.

Yeah, and most of the hockey world is aghast at that trade.

To be fair, goalie values have been dropping over the last 10-15 because NHL scouts are piss-poor at scouting goalies because all they see is size. I imagine a vezina-tier goalie would fetch you a ton but they don't get traded.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Means absolutely nothing because the separation is occurring in the press, not the actual NHL scouts. However, I think the forwards are safer picks. Hughes, Edvinsson, and Clarke could all be stars or complete busts. Much harder to project because they all have at least one area of major weakness.
He's referring to his list which is based on scouts from 10 teams, not the press.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Strange way to look at a gift horse in the mouth. Starting goalie for a third round pick? You take that in any draft.

BTW, 2015 was even worse. The 135th pick in the draft managed 4x more points in his rookie season than all of the Wings pick combined, which is basically Svech now.
I am not complaining at all, I just saying that SY not collecting, but loosing picks and it is only means we're not tanking, that's all

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00