2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They're expensive, no doubt, but there's not an exit strategy or way to make them go away anytime in the next 3-4 years most likely so not really sure what you're going to do with them? Can't buy them out without big penalties and Karlsson and Vlasic can't be buried in the minors with their NMCs. Also, I will give you Knyzhov as not an established guy (as I pointed out in my post) but Ferraro is about as established as you can be at this juncture as an NHL D-Man.

If there is not a center there (think Johnson will be there) then trade down and pick up more draft picks. Clarke would be about the only D-Man I would consider at 7. Won't be a big haul to move down given this year's draft class, but rather trade back into the mid-late first and get a center than take a D-Man this year, especially a LH shot D-Man.

So you’d rather have a potential 2C than a potential top pairing defenseman? Also Johnson is not a center.

Ferraro is not a top pairing guy and neither is Knyzhov or Vlasic. We very much need a future top-pairing LHD. If Power or Hughes is available, you 100% take them. I’m even coming round a little on Edvinsson, although I still prefer McTavish and Svechkov to him.

I understand the desire for a center but there is no can’t miss center in this draft and drafting a center with a lower ceiling just because he’s a center is idiotic. If it’s McTavish vs. Lysell, I can at least understand that. But if it’s McTavish vs. Guenther or Eklund or Hughes, you’re tripping.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
What's up with Carson Lambos? Wasn't he one of the d-men that was supposed to go in the top 10 before?

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
So you’d rather have a potential 2C than a potential top pairing defenseman? Also Johnson is not a center.

What is your definition of top-pairing defenceman?

Not sure any player in this draft currently projects to be a #1 C or #1 D.
Without a top 5 draft pick you aren't a defenceman who projects to be more than than a top 4 guy.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
What's up with Carson Lambos? Wasn't he one of the d-men that was supposed to go in the top 10 before?

I realized I missed him in the top 5 D names. I haven't watched too much of him. Although, apparently some observers weren't too hot on his recent stint in Finland.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I think Ferraro has the ability to be a "top pairing" guy but not a #1D if that makes sense.

Win 1/2:
Draft Beniers, if not, draft Power.

Stay 7: Draft one of Eklund/Johnson/Guenther/Hughes/Clarke
Drop to 9 (like a 5% chance): Draft Mctavish/Raty/Wallstedt/Sillinger or if any above are there

But other than Hughes/Clarke/Power I don't know why we'd pick any other Dman that high.

Realistically whoever we pick will be our best prospect in the system likely.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Ferraro is not a top pairing guy and neither is Knyzhov or Vlasic. We very much need a future top-pairing LHD. If Power or Hughes is available, you 100% take them. I’m even coming round a little on Edvinsson, although I still prefer McTavish and Svechkov to him.

I understand the desire for a center but there is no can’t miss center in this draft and drafting a center with a lower ceiling just because he’s a center is idiotic. If it’s McTavish vs. Lysell, I can at least understand that. But if it’s McTavish vs. Guenther or Eklund or Hughes, you’re tripping.
None of those guys are top pairing D-Men most likely so yeah, if the question is would I rather have a 2C than a #2D, I will take the 2C any day of the week. It's not like we have any of those in the system either right now. Much easier to find defense than it is to find top 9 centers. And if Johnson is not a center, why does literally every draft site that list him as such?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What is your definition of top-pairing defenceman?

Not sure any player in this draft currently projects to be a #1 C or #1 D.
Without a top 5 draft pick you aren't a defenceman who projects to be more than than a top 4 guy.

There are some people thinking Beniers can be the next Toews.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Imagine if Wilson traded the pick to try to get a top tier player to compete next year that wasn't actually a big game changer for this team. I'd laugh so hard

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Good job Canucks. Can't wait to draft the next Seto while the Kings take the next Kopitar after us.
The hockey gods take your pessimistic sacrifice and appreciate it. They will show favor to the Sharks going forward. The past 30 years of cursed existence were a gift. The next 30 will be as well. The hockey gods approve of our collective acceptance that we are not innately favored and NOW are ready to have a reason to be optimistic.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Fingers crossed Guenther somehow falls to us. He had a mediocre U18 so maybe that moves him down some teams' lists.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
None of those guys are top pairing D-Men most likely so yeah, if the question is would I rather have a 2C than a #2D, I will take the 2C any day of the week. It's not like we have any of those in the system either right now. Much easier to find defense than it is to find top 9 centers. And if Johnson is not a center, why does literally every draft site that list him as such?

Hughes, Clarke, and Power all have #1D potential. Are they likely to hit it? Not necessarily, but the potential is there.

Johnson is listed as a C because he played C in the BCHL. He only played center at Michigan when Beniers was at the WJC, and apparently wasn’t good at it. His playstyle projects as a winger as well.

It’s not hard to find middle-six centers. It’s hard to find true #1 centers. There is a difference.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Fingers crossed Guenther somehow falls to us. He had a mediocre U18 so maybe that moves him down some teams' lists.

I thought he showed well at the U18. I guess he was relatively quiet compared to Wright and Othmann, but I thought he handled front line duties well.

EDIT: I thought he kind of ran Canada's 1st line. Not that he is a primary playmaker, but has all the skills and played a responsible game. The normal pattern seemed to be Guenther handling the zone entry on the right side and going behind the net, then Wright would get in position to unleash his shot, and Othmann would crash the net somehow. He also seemed a bit scrappy, though he'll need to fill out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad