2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
We're in a prime spot even sitting in the 7th-8th range. Eklund,Guenther,Johnson,Lucius,Clarke,
Lysell. At least 2-3 of those guys could still be on the board.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
This would be magnificent.

Even if we were jumped, I really like a lot of players in that top 8. Hopefully we don't leap too far off the board if we get the opportunity...
Down to needing 1 point now after Vancouver picked up a loser point last night. 1 point with 2 games to go. Would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous haha.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I saw it was 5-1 or something last night and gave up on them. Credit to the Canucks to fight hard down 4+ goals. Great thing about rivalry games, even though they are playing for nothing, you can count on both teams to want to win out of pure hate (and a bit of professionalism I suppose).

Still annoyed we picked up three points on the Avs. Would have been really sweet to be at 47 points and have a chance to grab Power, Clarke, Beniers, Hughes, Guenther/Eklund. Not that it matters were going to draft Edvinsson anyway.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I saw it was 5-1 or something last night and gave up on them. Credit to the Canucks to fight hard down 4+ goals. Great thing about rivalry games, even though they are playing for nothing, you can count on both teams to want to win out of pure hate (and a bit of professionalism I suppose).

Still annoyed we picked up three points on the Avs. Would have been really sweet to be at 47 points and have a chance to grab Power, Clarke, Beniers, Hughes, Guenther/Eklund. Not that it matters were going to draft Edvinsson anyway.

IMO Edvinsson could potentially help a lot with zone entries and moving the puck.
But, I'm starting to think the absolute Shark move is to draft Raty high, claim they got a steal due to him previously being the consensus #1, and get him to SJ asap as a 3C for starters. I wouldn't necessarily have an issue as he does have size, some skill, and a nice shot. It just kind of fits their m.o.: draft for need, reach a little if needed, be optimistic about being a system fit.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
We need Vancouver to win one game?

They play Calgary twice. Calgary can win themselves out of a lottery position whereas Vancouver cannot improve their draft position.

Imagine how much we are reduced to as Sharks fan... following the lottery cup finals (LCF) with keen interest. I blame DW overall.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If you can get that star #1D, then just fill out the rest of your D with solid but unremarkable types.

I agree otherwise too much cap space is taken out of forwards for defense. I'd keep one of Burns or Karlsson, get rid of Vlasic as well, and look for some Schlemko type guys. That would improve the defense and get back to a better balance of cap space for forwards/defenders.

Then, pull a rabbit out of the hat and find Jones a new home. Sign a better goaltender that is a legitimate NHL caliber type. Since the Sharks goal tending corp is at the bottom, just moving to average is a big jump.

If packaging Jones with Merkley for trading without retention, the GM should go for it. My instinct is that Merkley will have Mueller-like traits. A guy at times that looks lost and confused on defense in the NHL, and when he's not, he's not that good of a defender. He'll never be a good defender imo, as everything he has going for him is offensive capability.

Last edited:

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Nope, just get one loser point in two games. We win the tie-breaker, so if we tie Vancouver in points then we draft higher than them. I’d really like Vancouver to just get one point, so that they’ll still be ahead of LA. :laugh:
Am I understanding right here that winning here is losing? My brain can't handle the tank.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Edvinsson would be a fine pick because the league will always (over)value 6'4" defensemen who can skate. So if nothing else he'd be a hell of a trade chip. Hell even Mueller returned a 2nd round pick after it was already clear he was a bust.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Edvinsson would be a fine pick because the league will always (over)value 6'4" defensemen who can skate. So if nothing else he'd be a hell of a trade chip. Hell even Mueller returned a 2nd round pick after it was already clear he was a bust.
I don't know man. I have not seen the kid play but his stats are so .. bleh. I know he bounced around the Swedish leagues but didnt really produce great at any league. I posted on the Kraken board saying that I really hope we don't reach for him at 4-5 where we are supposed to draft. Basically all of the other options projected at that range appeal more to me.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't know man. I have not seen the kid play but his stats are so .. bleh. I know he bounced around the Swedish leagues but didnt really produce great at any league. I posted on the Kraken board saying that I really hope we don't reach for him at 4-5 where we are supposed to draft. Basically all of the other options projected at that range appeal more to me.

He definitely wouldn't be my pick but in fairness he was playing in professional men's leagues for the majority of the season which is usually a good sign even if the prospect doesn't score much. I think you would need to give him two more years in Sweden then a year in the AHL but I fear that the Sharks would rush him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He definitely wouldn't be my pick but in fairness he was playing in professional men's leagues for the majority of the season which is usually a good sign even if the prospect doesn't score much. I think you would need to give him two more years in Sweden then a year in the AHL but I fear that the Sharks would rush him.

Thats a good point. I do want to see more production (points) from a D-man than what he showed at the SHL though. That being said, looking at Frolunda (where he played) the top scorer only had 29 points in 52 games. Maybe the team was just not very good?

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Thats a good point. I do want to see more production (points) from a D-man than what he showed at the SHL though. That being said, looking at Frolunda (where he played) the top scorer only had 29 points in 52 games. Maybe the team was just not very good?

Going off of a Frolunda game shift cut up, they seem to have a very Sharks-esque offense. Edvinsson's role was a bit like Karlsson's - jump in and pinch to keep possession in the o zone. I thought he did well carrying the puck up high and down low and dishing it around.

I think he has the highest potential of the top 4D, but also the harder path. (Bigger than Hughes/Clarke, more skilled than Power, but has to show he can use both at a high level) To reach his potential, he would need more strength and seasoning (I think more time in a pro system should help).

But, I'm also not sure that the Sharks would be capable or patient enough. I could see them being happy to have a more skilled Vlasic/Dillon type and stop there. From his size, skill, and U18 flashes, IMO it's worth seeing if he can grow into that top pairing type that controls 200 ft when he's on the ice. And maybe the fall back is a second pairing dman with good size and skating (possibly as a trade piece).

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Going off of a Frolunda game shift cut up, they seem to have a very Sharks-esque offense. Edvinsson's role was a bit like Karlsson's - jump in and pinch to keep possession in the o zone. I thought he did well carrying the puck up high and down low and dishing it around.

I think he has the highest potential of the top 4D, but also the harder path. (Bigger than Hughes/Clarke, more skilled than Power, but has to show he can use both at a high level) To reach his potential, he would need more strength and seasoning (I think more time in a pro system should help).

But, I'm also not sure that the Sharks would be capable or patient enough. I could see them being happy to have a more skilled Vlasic/Dillon type and stop there. From his size, skill, and U18 flashes, IMO it's worth seeing if he can grow into that top pairing type that controls 200 ft when he's on the ice. And maybe the fall back is a second pairing dman with good size and skating (possibly as a trade piece).
I would say given the state of the defense right now, the Sharks would be very patient unless Knyzhov or Ferraro see their games fall off a cliff. I would say that there are 5 D-Men locked into the lineup for awhile based on contracts and play this year. The #6 spot is likely open on an annual basis until Merkley is ready (if ever). But Ferraro, Burns, Karlsson, Knyzhov, and Vlasic are locked in for at least another 2-3 seasons I think (with Knyzhov being the one on the least stable footing given the body of work is smaller).

For that reason, I think you have to go forward with this pick in the first round. I know you're never supposed to draft by position but by BPA, but using a top 10 pick on a D-Man when the status of the center position organizationally is so bare would be a big mistake imo.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I would say given the state of the defense right now, the Sharks would be very patient unless Knyzhov or Ferraro see their games fall off a cliff. I would say that there are 5 D-Men locked into the lineup for awhile based on contracts and play this year. The #6 spot is likely open on an annual basis until Merkley is ready (if ever). But Ferraro, Burns, Karlsson, Knyzhov, and Vlasic are locked in for at least another 2-3 seasons I think (with Knyzhov being the one on the least stable footing given the body of work is smaller).

For that reason, I think you have to go forward with this pick in the first round. I know you're never supposed to draft by position but by BPA, but using a top 10 pick on a D-Man when the status of the center position organizationally is so bare would be a big mistake imo.

A center could still be BPA looking from the POV of "best player available . . . considering the org depth". ;)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

There is a zero percent chance the BPA at 8th overall will be a center. And we need defensemen as much as anything else; you listed three guys who are wildly expensive and over the hill and two guys who are barely established NHLers.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
There is a zero percent chance the BPA at 8th overall will be a center. And we need defensemen as much as anything else; you listed three guys who are wildly expensive and over the hill and two guys who are barely established NHLers.
They're expensive, no doubt, but there's not an exit strategy or way to make them go away anytime in the next 3-4 years most likely so not really sure what you're going to do with them? Can't buy them out without big penalties and Karlsson and Vlasic can't be buried in the minors with their NMCs. Also, I will give you Knyzhov as not an established guy (as I pointed out in my post) but Ferraro is about as established as you can be at this juncture as an NHL D-Man.

If there is not a center there (think Johnson will be there) then trade down and pick up more draft picks. Clarke would be about the only D-Man I would consider at 7. Won't be a big haul to move down given this year's draft class, but rather trade back into the mid-late first and get a center than take a D-Man this year, especially a LH shot D-Man.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

We need everything pretty much so just BPA and deal with roster issues when those kids knock on that door.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Assuming worst case scenario (2 teams jumping ahead in the lottery), would Matthew Coronato be too much of a reach at 9 or 10? I mean his goal totals this year are amongst the best ever in the USHL and size is much less of an issue in the league nowadays.

Reactions: Alaskanice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad