2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So as of right now we are 25th in the league. Potential to be 26th by seasons end. Vancouver just needs 4 points in 5 games. 4 games vs the flames and 1 vs the oilers.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
If he's Pavs 2.0 count me in on the Eklund fan club.

My initial impression is that Eklund might be closer to a Couture 2.0 at the next level. I know he's been super productive, but he seems like the captain material, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, good-enough-skills-for-top-six, opportunist, wait-for-your-mistake-and-capitalize, hard worker, willing grinder type.

I think Stankoven has Pavelski's cerebro game. But, size and lack of reach would be concerns at the next level.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
From what I read it's his strength, lack of straight line speed, tendency to pass up a good shooting opportunity and solid but unspectacular d. That being said he is a sublime playmaker, probably the best at zone entries in the class and an offensive driver. Very very cerebral and intelligent player. I havnt seen enough of him to get a good idea if what he brings will translate to the NHL.

I think the sample size is smaller too. IIRC he played mostly wing this year, so it's another variable (+ strength) that might make it hard to project as a 1C.

But I think he'd be a great selection for the Sharks from skill alone.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
My initial impression is that Eklund might be closer to a Couture 2.0 at the next level. I know he's been super productive, but he seems like the captain material, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, good-enough-skills-for-top-six, opportunist, wait-for-your-mistake-and-capitalize, hard worker, willing grinder type.

I think Stankoven has Pavelski's cerebro game. But, size and lack of reach would be concerns at the next level.

I don't know if we can really call captain material a trait Couture has.

Reactions: jarr92

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My hope for the Sharks spot at 7-8 would be:

1. Eklund
2. Johnson
3. Guenther

If they end up with any of those players I'd be happy.
That's definitely my wishlist as well. I really like what Eklund brings to the table and he seems like a guy who'll make an impact pretty fast.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
That's definitely my wishlist as well. I really like what Eklund brings to the table and he seems like a guy who'll make an impact pretty fast.

While this might not be my preferred option, if they ended up with Eklund/Wallstedt + Stankoven (say by trading for a 2), that would quickly accelerate whatever Wilson's trying to reset. All three names could rise pretty quickly. It might be rushed, but the Sharks would just be asking them to execute the system.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Its tough to beat the same team 3 times in a row, Canucks are likely to win 1. The question will be if they can win 2, hopefully Edmonton wont be playing hard

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Let’s say the Sharks win the lottery, do we think Columbus would be willing to give up their first (becomes 6th overall) and the Toronto or Tampa first (whichever is later) or is that too much? Should we do that trade? I think the top tier in this draft really is fairly even 1-6/7 of this draft and picking up another late first would be good. Or should we just take Power or Brandt at #1 if we win the lottery?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Let’s say the Sharks win the lottery, do we think Columbus would be willing to give up their first (becomes 6th overall) and the Toronto or Tampa first (whichever is later) or is that too much? Should we do that trade? I think the top tier in this draft really is fairly even 1-6/7 of this draft and picking up another late first would be good. Or should we just take Power or Brandt at #1 if we win the lottery?

If Columbus really wanted that pick, I think they'd be willing to pay that price. I don't think they'd want it to that degree and I don't think San Jose would want to trade back behind New Jersey. If the Sharks get the #1 pick for the first time ever, I can't imagine them trading it under any circumstance. I'd suspect that they'd pick Power in that case but it wouldn't really matter much. I think any trade back options for the Sharks needs to account for who they're looking at getting. If they're looking at getting Hughes or Clarke, they can't trade behind New Jersey.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

We should do that but the chances of any team trading down from 1st overall, even in this draft, are basically nil. Maybe if we win 2nd overall it would be considered (in which case absolutely trade down for 6 + 26 or whatever it ends up being).

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

If the Sharks think the top 6-7 prospects are fairly even, odds are Columbus does too, so unless Columbus absolutely wants Beniers/Power/Clarke (assuming they're the consensus top 3) and is willing to pay two firsts for the privilege, I don't see how Columbus would do that trade rather than draft one of the slightly less heralded top prospects plus another good prospect.

I wouldn't make that trade unless I were convinced that my top pick is pretty sure to develop into a star and my more realistic pick was not. That seems implausible.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
If we win the 1st OA, just take Power. I've been pulling for a Meier to NJ trade for their second of two 1sts and maybe a 3rd. I think NJ would be receptive to giving Nico Hischier a winger and fellow countrymen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad