2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Are any of the guys in our range centers?

Not really. Johnson and Eklund have played center but project more as wingers. McTavish and Svechkov are both centers, but I don’t think they have 1C potential. Both have strong chances at 2C and won’t be worse than a 3C, so I don’t hate the idea of taking them if the top-7 are gone. Pinelli is a C who has higher upside than those two but isn’t very likely to hit it, definitely a boom/bust type. And some people are high on Chaz Lucius, but I don’t think he projects as a center either.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Hughes is guaranteed to be gone before we pick. So if we get to pick between Eklund, Johnson, and Guenther, I'll be pretty happy.

I think he’s most likely gone, but it’s possible he falls due to defensive concerns or his injury.

Buffalo - Power/Beniers/Clarke
Anaheim - Power/Beniers/Clarke
Seattle - Power/Beniers/Clarke
New Jersey - Hughes
Columbus - Eklund/Johnson/Edvinsson/Lucius/McTavish
Detroit - Edvinsson/Eklund/Guenther
SJ/Van - Guenther/Johnson/McTavish

This is my guess as to how things play out. I think our best bet for someone to take Edvinsson ahead of us is Detroit, and Columbus is the team who could go off the board and pick a center despite the center not being a BPA.

The only hesitation I have with Guenther is I think he needs a running mate. He’s not a guy who is going to drive offense on his own, but is rather a complementary first line winger who can put up oodles of points with a center who is at least as good as him.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I think he’s most likely gone, but it’s possible he falls due to defensive concerns or his injury.

Buffalo - Power/Beniers/Clarke
Anaheim - Power/Beniers/Clarke
Seattle - Power/Beniers/Clarke
New Jersey - Hughes
Columbus - Eklund/Johnson/Edvinsson/Lucius/McTavish
Detroit - Edvinsson/Eklund/Guenther

This is my guess as to how things play out. I think our best bet for someone to take Edvinsson ahead of us is Detroit, and Columbus is the team who could go off the board and pick a center despite the center not being a BPA.

The only hesitation I have with Guenther is I think he needs a running mate. He’s not a guy who is going to drive offense on his own, but is rather a complementary first line winger who can put up oodles of points with a center who is at least as good as him.

I dont think Guenther makes it past Columbus. He would be a huge get for the Sharks if he somehow gets to 7/8

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I dont think Guenther makes it past Columbus. He would be a huge get for the Sharks if he somehow gets to 7/8

You’re probably right. On the flip side, Columbus already has a complementary first line winger who needs a top-line center in order to put up numbers.

Honestly I have no idea how this will pan out. Will definitely be an interesting draft.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
You’re probably right. On the flip side, Columbus already has a complementary first line winger who needs a top-line center in order to put up numbers.

Honestly I have no idea how this will pan out. Will definitely be an interesting draft.
I think Eklund is a real possibility best case. But it will probably end up being one of Johnson / Lysell / Lucius in that spot. And if they go off the board a little bit Sillinger / McTavish

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
This is going to be a wild draft, with a lot of who?? picks... just hope Sharks don't make a totally wild pick at that 7-9th range.
If they go with the BPA, its good. I think the real interesting stuff starts when Sharks pick 3rd round forward, hope Cossa is available there. (I don't he will be, but you never know) This year its all about gems. Next 2 years its all about getting as much 1-3 round picks as possible. Deep drafts usually also indicate good 2nd round gems.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Eklund is a real possibility best case. But it will probably end up being one of Johnson / Lysell / Lucius in that spot. And if they go off the board a little bit Sillinger / McTavish

Eklund is an interesting case. Usually the small Swedish wingers are considered boom-bust types, but in this case I think Eklund is a really safe choice to be a good second line winger with a chance of being a first line winger. I think Lysell has higher upside, but I still definitely prefer Eklund due to his work ethic, hockey IQ, and production in a men’s league. I think he, Guenther, and Johnson all have a chance to fall to us. I also have McTavish as my #8 guy, so I’d be perfectly happy with him at 8th or later. I just think there is a significant distinction between my top-7 and the next tier that really is gonna matter.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Eklund is an interesting case. Usually the small Swedish wingers are considered boom-bust types, but in this case I think Eklund is a really safe choice to be a good second line winger with a chance of being a first line winger. I think Lysell has higher upside, but I still definitely prefer Eklund due to his work ethic, hockey IQ, and production in a men’s league. I think he, Guenther, and Johnson all have a chance to fall to us. I also have McTavish as my #8 guy, so I’d be perfectly happy with him at 8th or later. I just think there is a significant distinction between my top-7 and the next tier that really is gonna matter.

I'd honestly be excited about any of those players being in the Sharks system. Please DW Jr just pick one of them

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Johnson seems pretty awesome, what are the concerns with him? He feels like he could be a #1 center but I’m just going off scouting reports.

Out of sheer curiosity… if somehow Sharks win the lottery, who would people want them to take?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Johnson seems pretty awesome, what are the concerns with him? He feels like he could be a #1 center but I’m just going off scouting reports.

Out of sheer curiosity… if somehow Sharks win the lottery, who would people want them to take?
Beniers but it might be short sighted of me. Clarke or Power probably have better upside but I just want a franchise center dammit

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021

Trade down and get another 1st/2nd (it doesn't count towards the new rule if we trade the pick, right?!?!)

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd honestly be excited about any of those players being in the Sharks system. Please DW Jr just pick one of them

Whoever we pick, as long as it’s not like, a gigantic reach, is going to be the best prospect we’ve had since Timo Meier, potentially Tomas Hertl, or even Logan Couture. That’s worth being excited about.

Beniers or Clarke for me. Beniers is a sure fire 2C at worst with low-end 1C potential, which we definitely need, and Clarke has the highest upside of anyone in the draft in my opinion.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County

From what I read it's his strength, lack of straight line speed, tendency to pass up a good shooting opportunity and solid but unspectacular d. That being said he is a sublime playmaker, probably the best at zone entries in the class and an offensive driver. Very very cerebral and intelligent player. I havnt seen enough of him to get a good idea if what he brings will translate to the NHL.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
What if they pick me for the draft? I play intermediate beer league roller hockey but who knows, right? They’d only need to commit to me for like a year or two before I retire.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad