2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Every one wants a coach that can get players to be better then they are. Torts is available. He will either do 1 of 2 things, make the team better or make all the good players want to leave, so it is a win win lol

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Every one wants a coach that can get players to be better then they are. Torts is available. He will either do 1 of 2 things, make the team better or make all the good players want to leave, so it is a win win lol

This would be so sad

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It sucks that we got a point last night. There was an opportunity to finish below Columbus and Detroit.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It sucks that we got a point last night. There was an opportunity to finish below Columbus and Detroit.
I don't think there was any way to drop below Columbus. They had 48 points like we did but they somehow have even less ROW than we do so we win the tie breaker regardless

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think there was any way to drop below Columbus. They had 48 points like we did but they somehow have even less ROW than we do so we win the tie breaker regardless

Yeah youre right looks like just Detroit. As long as we're drafting in the top eight I'm fine but I don't think that's guaranteed yet.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
In our draft position I fully support drafting an elite goaltender in Wallstedt or trading down and grabbing assets for next year's draft and Cossa. Both these guys are elite. We have to try and improve that position more than any other and I don't see it as an option anymore. I just don't see the upside in terms of passing on a potential franchise goaltender vs a potential 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing damn. We're at the point where we need to spend draft capital on goal because out strategy of getting a goaltender via trade or free agency has failed.

Reactions: Le Rosbeef

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
In our draft position I fully support drafting an elite goaltender in Wallstedt or trading down and grabbing assets for next year's draft and Cossa. Both these guys are elite. We have to try and improve that position more than any other and I don't see it as an option anymore. I just don't see the upside in terms of passing on a potential franchise goaltender vs a potential 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing damn. We're at the point where we need to spend draft capital on goal because out strategy of getting a goaltender via trade or free agency has failed.
Melnichuks literally had one NHL game and people are already writing him off? Hey I'm as much a proponent of improving our goaltending situation but geeze, let's give the kid a chance before we spend a high 1st on a goalie.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Melnichuks literally had one NHL game and people are already writing him off? Hey I'm as much a proponent of improving our goaltending situation but geeze, let's give the kid a chance before we spend a high 1st on a goalie.

Melnichuk will still be around for the near-future, while Wallstedt et al likely won't be ready. If they are, and Melnichuk succeeds, then the Sharks have the wonderful problem of too many good goalies and can run a great tandem or trade one for another need.

I'm not saying that they should draft Wallstedt or a goalie with their first, but worrying about keeping a starting spot over the next few years open for a guy with a sub-.900 save percentage in North America is putting the plans for a cart before a horse that hasn't been born.

Reactions: Makoshark

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County

Who said anyone was writing off Melnichuck? All I'm saying is we need to spend capital on a potential franchise goalie. This team won't be any better for the next few years and is on track to have the same or worse record. If we are going to rebuild (which let's not kid ourselves- we are) and there's no high end players available at 8-11 we should to go for a goaltender that could end up being a top 10 in a few years. We won't get that on the open market.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who said anyone was writing off Melnichuck? All I'm saying is we need to spend capital on a potential franchise goalie. This team won't be any better for the next few years and is on track to have the same or worse record. If we are going to rebuild (which let's not kid ourselves- we are) and there's no high end players available at 8-11 we should to go for a goaltender that could end up being a top 10 in a few years. We won't get that on the open market.

There's reasonable doubt you'd get it through Wallstedt too.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It seems like the vast majority of top forwards in the NHL were taken very high in the draft whereas top defensemen and especially top goalies are routinely found in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds or even beyond.

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Hard to believe we were competing with Detroit for a worse record. I can’t wrap my head around that with all of the talent we have.
This terrible season wasn't a surprise though, since much of the talent on the team is past its glory days. Players like Karlsson, Jones, Burns, etc, are shells of their former selves. Even relatively young players like Hertl and Meier went through down years. We performed relative to expectations this year.

The teams that have really underperformed this year were Buffalo, Vancouver, NJ, and the like. How they finished so low considering their talent is baffling to me. Buffalo continues to be a gong show of a team, with a star studded core such as Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Hall... Not even going there. Vancouver is the same story, with a star studded cast in Petterson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes. NJ too- they drafted first overall twice in a row. Now those teams really crapped out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad