2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Who said anyone was writing off Melnichuck? All I'm saying is we need to spend capital on a potential franchise goalie. This team won't be any better for the next few years and is on track to have the same or worse record. If we are going to rebuild (which let's not kid ourselves- we are) and there's no high end players available at 8-11 we should to go for a goaltender that could end up being a top 10 in a few years. We won't get that on the open market.

Agree.

I think the Sharks could easily trade for a 1A kinda guy who might work out for us, or even sign a few free agents and hope for the best. But for either to become a true franchise goalie would be quite the lightning-in-a-bottle moment. You're absolutely right, imo - getting a guy of that calibre is not available. Teams don't trade those guys.

I fully agree drafting goalies can be very complex - that conversation has been had ad nauseum, but Wallstedt isn't a flash in the pan. He and Askarov have been on the draft radar for several years as potential franchise guys. Sure, there's risk in any pick, but to me, this is definitely the time it's less expensive to get it wrong on JW because this draft just doesn't have the highest end talent available.

My take is simple: if any of Clarke, Power, Hughes, Beniers, Eklund, Guenther or Johnson are on the board when we pick, sure, I'd take them. There's bits I love about all their games. But after that, I'm all in on Wallstedt. His consolidated draft ranking is inside the top 10 using all the major services - we have a glaring hole in net. I wouldn't hesitate.

Reactions: Makoshark

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If the BPA on the Sharks board at their spot is a D-man, do you draft him? Or do you move back?

A lot of boards have Jesper Wallstedt in the top-10 but I just don't see that being the case on the Sharks board.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
If Bordeleau were 4 months younger where would he go in this upcoming draft?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If Bordeleau were 4 months younger where would he go in this upcoming draft?

Probably top 5-10 but that just gives me terrible premonitions about what that could justify to Doug. "We felt comfortable trading our 1st round pick for Elvis Merzlikins because we feel we already got a 2021 7th overall pick caliber player last year."

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Probably top 5-10 but that just gives me terrible premonitions about what that could justify to Doug. "We felt comfortable trading our 1st round pick for Elvis Merzlikins because we feel we already got a 2021 7th overall pick caliber player last year."
If DW trades for some absolutely weird reason our 1st round pick this year it should be for player who is young, cost controlled and has superstar potential. Not someone like Elvis Merzliskins even though I know you are joking. I am not comfortable at trading our 1st this or next year. I hope DW feels same.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If DW trades for some absolutely weird reason our 1st round pick this year it should be for player who is young, cost controlled and has superstar potential. Not someone like Elvis Merzliskins even though I know you are joking. I am not comfortable at trading our 1st this or next year. I hope DW feels same.

Reading between the lines of some of his statements today it sounds like he's at least open to moving the 1st or at least moving picks and young players in general.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Probably 7th pick for Sam Reinhart or somethin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Reading between the lines of some of his statements today it sounds like he's at least open to moving the 1st or at least moving picks and young players in general.

He'll definitely do some late round trading back sort of deals. That's pretty standard for him. The 1st I have a difficult time thinking they will move it or trade back given the talent drop. Maybe if they win the 2nd pick lottery when it may behoove a team like Columbus or New Jersey to move up and they have significant draft capital.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He'll definitely do some late round trading back sort of deals. That's pretty standard for him. The 1st I have a difficult time thinking they will move it or trade back given the talent drop. Maybe if they win the 2nd pick lottery when it may behoove a team like Columbus or New Jersey to move up and they have significant draft capital.

Again just my own interpretation of his comments but it sounds like he wants to trade picks, prospects and/or young player(s) for a 3C and sign a UFA goalie as his two main offseason additions. Obviously I hope he doesn't trade the 1st for a third line center but what other assets does he really have? Next year's 1st (which should also be off limits IMO) and next year's 2nd I guess.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Again just my own interpretation of his comments but it sounds like he wants to trade picks, prospects and/or young player(s) for a 3C and sign a UFA goalie as his two main offseason additions. Obviously I hope he doesn't trade the 1st for a third line center but what other assets does he really have? Next year's 1st (which should also be off limits IMO) and next year's 2nd I guess.

If DW expects to have nine or ten picks then chances are the picks he trades for players are next year's but you typically don't see a team trade a 1st for a 3C and I don't think there's a goalie available for trade that'll get a 1st.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If the BPA on the Sharks board at their spot is a D-man, do you draft him? Or do you move back?

A lot of boards have Jesper Wallstedt in the top-10 but I just don't see that being the case on the Sharks board.

Unless Power, Clarke, or Hughes somehow fall to us, there’s no way the BPA at our pick will be a defenseman. If one of them does, take him and laugh all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021

Would love to get Elvis. Solid goalie to give a chance to and has some personality as well, unlike Jones/Nemo that each were completely unlikable people. Could probably even offer a 1 for 1 of Labanc for Elvis

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Come on Vancouver!

So barring some miraculous lottery luck (either us or teams behind us), we’re drafting at 7th or 8th. I think we can assume that Power, Clarke, and Beniers are all definitely not available at 7th/8th, so our options will be Eklund/Hughes/Guenther (if they fall) or Johnson/McTavish/Svechkov/Lysell (my choice of guys who are pretty much guaranteed to be available at 7th in order). Not too bad, hopefully someone takes Edvinsson in the top-6 so that one of my top-6 is available to us. I have a feeling no one goes off the board in the top-10 this year, unfortunately.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Come on Vancouver!

So barring some miraculous lottery luck (either us or teams behind us), we’re drafting at 7th or 8th. I think we can assume that Power, Clarke, and Beniers are all definitely not available at 7th/8th, so our options will be Eklund/Hughes/Guenther (if they fall) or Johnson/McTavish/Svechkov/Lysell (my choice of guys who are pretty much guaranteed to be available at 7th in order). Not too bad, hopefully someone takes Edvinsson in the top-6 so that one of my top-6 is available to us. I have a feeling no one goes off the board in the top-10 this year, unfortunately.
I think Hughes is guaranteed to be gone before we pick. So if we get to pick between Eklund, Johnson, and Guenther, I'll be pretty happy.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Come on Vancouver!

Are any of the guys in our range centers?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
  1. Berniers
  2. Power/Clarke
  3. Power/Clarke
  4. Eklund
  5. Guenther
  6. Hughes
  7. Johnson
If we come away with one of those guys I'll be pretty pleased. I'd also be okay with some trade back and grabbing Wallstedt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad