Draft 2021 NHL Draft and FA thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I wonder how many deals around the league are already on the table and ready to go but depend on who is selected by the Kraken tonight and/or the freeze

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Its not fair to do that. it puts the evil eye on the kid.
Datsuk had skills you can not coach or be taught.
If Svetchkov had that type of vision or skill he would be the top pick

Datsyuk was a 6th round pick though….

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Its not fair to do that. it puts the evil eye on the kid.
Datsuk had skills you can not coach or be taught.
If Svetchkov had that type of vision or skill he would be the top pick
It is a little unfair, but NHL Comps are all the sexies this time of year. People love em when they're going draft crazy. I think sometimes its moreso the people hearing it that have the issue, not with the diagnosis.

Datsyuk wasn't highly touted, maybe there's a poor mans Datsyuk here. Obviously it's pretty unlikely he develops the hands at the next level, if he had em now he'd be a top 5 pick. And Pavel was the shiftiest player I've ever seen play the game. I mean, that man was slippery out there weaving in and out of people on top of everything else.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Why do you feel this way?

He seems like he checks every box other than size.

I really don't like his skating. Very hunched and doesn't gain acceleration. Top-heavy rather than ass-down, outside edges from the middle of the body to insides edges pushing outward. He doesn't have quick stop and starts too, instead simply turning lazily up ice. "Juniors" mistake. I'm worried that he'll be steps behind in higher-level play. Chicago was a stacked team, too, even though he was the primary scorer for them.

I'm not going to deny his scoring touch because it's good. He has one of the best shots in the draft, but he's no catalyst to play drive, he's a supporting scorer for sure. Players have to skate in and find him open for him to shoot... and that's if he gets open. Otherwise, he floats. He gets caught up at the blueline when he's not skating hard in-zone entry. In the top 15, I don't like that for NYR and think there are better available than him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I like Coronato. I think he's well rounded. I don't like him at 15. I like other players there over him for sure. Svechkov, or Lucius. They might not be there.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Tomorrow is the draft!! How is there this much silence on this thread? lolol
Haha I know, I've been scanning through the threads the last few days and am shocked/let down at how little discussion there's been here. Probably a combination of:

- Other topics taking focus away (Eichel, Seattle expansion draft drama, lots of trade rumors in general)
- Not a lot of buzz around the 2021 draft in general, both because of the perceived "weak draft class", as well as the Covid year impacting the amount of information out there on prospects
- Draft/scouting fatigue after the last 2 lottery wins
- Expectation that our pick will be moved

Regardless, I'm interested in what our main "prospect" guys are thinking, should we end up making the pick tomorrow. Who are we hoping is available at 16? Who do we think we're targeting? Who are we hoping we pass on?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Barely know anything about this draft lol but from what I've seen of players the one who stood out most to me who we could realistically get at 15; Fabian Lysell. It's not common when skating is the biggest knock against both your 1st & 2nd overall picks in back to back years lol, so I think Lysell has a skillset that would be unique in our pool.

I also like Svechkov.

Raty is enticing just because of how highly regarded he once was and perhaps we shouldn't judge players entirely based off last season during these strange circumstances. But in any videos I've seen of him playing he hasn't looked impressive. I wouldn't be mad if we draft him though.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Barely know anything about this draft lol but from what I've seen of players the one who stood out most to me who we could realistically get at 15; Fabian Lysell. It's not common when skating is the biggest knock against both your 1st & 2nd overall picks in back to back years lol, so I think Lysell has a skillset that would be unique in our pool.

I also like Svechkov.

Raty is enticing just because of how highly regarded he once was and perhaps we shouldn't judge players entirely based off last season during these strange circumstances. But in any videos I've seen of him playing he hasn't looked impressive. I wouldn't be mad if we draft him though.

I felt the opposite about Raty, he looks great in highlight videos I saw, I thought. I felt like, well, I must be missing something, maybe these are older highlights, maybe this isn't pandemic stuff where he basically slacked off.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I also like Svechkov.

Lysell has a bullying scandal in Sweden currently, but not sure if it's overblown or not. Lysell, IMO, is the best skater in this class.

Raty has had multiple reports of confidence issues which is leading to his drop. I for one think he just had a bad year, but it's looking like he might drop out of the 1st round. Crazy to think that at the beginning of the fall he was the unanimous No. 1.

Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Haha I know, I've been scanning through the threads the last few days and am shocked/let down at how little discussion there's been here. Probably a combination of:

- Other topics taking focus away (Eichel, Seattle expansion draft drama, lots of trade rumors in general)
- Not a lot of buzz around the 2021 draft in general, both because of the perceived "weak draft class", as well as the Covid year impacting the amount of information out there on prospects
- Draft/scouting fatigue after the last 2 lottery wins
- Expectation that our pick will be moved

Regardless, I'm interested in what our main "prospect" guys are thinking, should we end up making the pick tomorrow. Who are we hoping is available at 16? Who do we think we're targeting? Who are we hoping we pass on?

I have an idea of who they'll pick, but we'll see on draft day...

:popcorn:

Personally, I like Wallstedt if he were to fall, but realistic options are Svechkov, Chibrikov and Pinelli. If they want L'Heureux then I would hope they trade back for him. Lucius might be out of range for them.

Reactions: eco's bones

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
I have an idea of who they'll pick, but we'll see on draft day...

:popcorn:

Personally, I like Wallstedt if he were to fall, but realistic options are Svechkov, Chibrikov and Pinelli. If they want L'Heureux then I would hope they trade back for him. Lucius might be out of range for them.

Joey Bones- I really want Beniers or McTavish but know they will be gone. After that I want Svechkov if he is gone I would be happy settling for L'Heureux .
and some of these in the 2nd and 3rd round that I really like Boucher, Doan, Helenius, Grubbe, Stjernborg, Savage, Kapanen, and then in the 4th and later rounds like Dower-Nilsson, Montgomery, Gilmartin, Bardakov. What are your thoughts on the players I mentioned. I think they bring elements we are missing

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia