Draft 2021 NHL Draft and FA thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
There is speculation about Rangers going into the top 10 to then deal the pick to Buffalo. What if they have a guy they are targeting in the top 10 instead?

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
I have an idea of who they'll pick, but we'll see on draft day...

:popcorn:

Personally, I like Wallstedt if he were to fall, but realistic options are Svechkov, Chibrikov and Pinelli. If they want L'Heureux then I would hope they trade back for him. Lucius might be out of range for them.

I like what I've seen/read about each of the Russians...between the two, in a vaccuum I'd prefer the talent/upside of Chibrikov more, but taking into account he Rangers' positional/player type needs, it would swing towards Svechkov. Although the prior concerns of Svechkov's "limited offensive upside" give me pause - is he more like Andersson, or more like Lundell?

Curious - is Svechkov ranked consistently higher across different scouting sites? Because to me, overall its a coinflip between the two, and comes down to what the team would be looking for in a prospect.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There is speculation about Rangers going into the top 10 to then deal the pick to Buffalo. What if they have a guy they are targeting in the top 10 instead?

It's possible, but I don't think that's their end game.

For example, LA has the 8th overall pick, and has expressed interest in Buch. But I don't think the Rangers ultimate goal would be to have the 8th overall pick. Now, if they were to flip said pick, in a follow-up deal, that's the preferred path.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Joey Bones- I really want Beniers or McTavish but know they will be gone. After that I want Svechkov if he is gone I would be happy settling for L'Heureux .
and some of these in the 2nd and 3rd round that I really like Boucher, Doan, Helenius, Grubbe, Stjernborg, Savage, Kapanen, and then in the 4th and later rounds like Dower-Nilsson, Montgomery, Gilmartin, Bardakov. What are your thoughts on the players I mentioned. I think they bring elements we are missing

I agree that both Beniers and McTavish will be gone before the top 10 ends. Svechkov is slated to go in the teens, he could very well rise, too. L'Heureux is a tough one to get right on draft night, but I think he'll go in the 20's.

As for the ones you mentioned...

Josh Doan and Samuel Helenius are two big ones I think NYR should go after in the middle rounds. I don't think Helenius is going to drop past the 2nd round, but if he doesn't NYR needs to snag him quick. I like Doan with their 1st 3rd round pick too. Kid has a motor and a mindset.

As for others, I like Kapanen, too. Solid shot and plays similar to his cousin, Kasperi. Before Bob's list I would've said that there is no way he falls to the 3rd, but seeing he's No. 52 on his list there is a good chance that might happen. Savage is another I like in the 3rd round. Another high motor kid.

I really like Bardakov in the later rounds. Big solid player that has some pro experience under his belt. Not sure about offensive upside though. Maybe a Kulemin-type player?

One player that doesn't get enough love on here is Ville Koivunen. Kid won the SM-Liiga J-20 season MVP. Feel he'll be a nice surprise down the road.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I like what I've seen/read about each of the Russians...between the two, in a vaccuum I'd prefer the talent/upside of Chibrikov more, but taking into account he Rangers' positional/player type needs, it would swing towards Svechkov. Although the prior concerns of Svechkov's "limited offensive upside" give me pause - is he more like Andersson, or more like Lundell?

Curious - is Svechkov ranked consistently higher across different scouting sites? Because to me, overall its a coinflip between the two, and comes down to what the team would be looking for in a prospect.

Lias' issue was his own head (at least from what we know) and from what has been known about Svechkov that doesn't seem to be the case. Otherwise, a defensively reliable center prospect that can be a quality 3C in the NHL is something NYR needs in their pipeline.

Before Bob's list Svechkov was ranked as high as No. 6 to as low as No. 58. Bob has him at No. 17, IIRC. I would take his list with higher priority than others because he talks to at least 10 scouts each year to gauge their lists. Expectation then would mean Svechkov will go in the teens somewhere.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Lias' issue was his own head (at least from what we know) and from what has been known about Svechkov that doesn't seem to be the case. Otherwise, a defensively reliable center prospect that can be a quality 3C in the NHL is something NYR needs in their pipeline.

Before Bob's list Svechkov was ranked as high as No. 6 to as low as No. 58. Bob has him at No. 17, IIRC. I would take his list with higher priority than others because he talks to at least 10 scouts each year to gauge their lists. Expectation then would mean Svechkov will go in the teens somewhere.

Makes sense...and I was not specifically comparing Svechkov to Lias or to Lundell or projecting him to go one way or the other, just that there was a very general consistent theme across the 3 (concerns about offensive upside) that made my brain make the connection.

So in a vaccuum (not taking into the Rangers needs/prospect pool) who are you higher on between the Russians?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Makes sense...and I was not specifically comparing Svechkov to Lias or to Lundell or projecting him to go one way or the other, just that there was a very general consistent theme across the 3 (concerns about offensive upside) that made my brain make the connection.

So in a vaccuum (not taking into the Rangers needs/prospect pool) who are you higher on between the Russians?

Well, I think it depends on that consensus, too. For Lias, I remember hearing it was his skating that was the issue. For Lundell, it was scoring potential. Just goes to show that development is key for these prospects. Lundell has looked like a stud and Lias is still figuring it out, you know? As for Svechkov, I don't see much concern other than elite-level play. I don't think he becomes a 1C, but he could be a 2C. I absolutely see him as a 3C, ATM.

If someone like Wallstedt were to fall to No. 15, I would want him over anyone. But that likely won't be the case. The next in line would be Chibrikov for me. Think his slippery offensive ability is highly underrated, but lack of pro experience will have him fall. I see him as a riser, though, so we'll see. Next would be a tie between Svechkov and Pinelli, but I wouldn't mind a reach on Rosen or Olausson, either.

We shall see...

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Well, I think it depends on that consensus, too. For Lias, I remember hearing it was his skating that was the issue. For Lundell, it was scoring potential. Just goes to show that development is key for these prospects. Lundell has looked like a stud and Lias is still figuring it out, you know? As for Svechkov, I don't see much concern other than elite-level play. I don't think he becomes a 1C, but he could be a 2C. I absolutely see him as a 3C, ATM.

If someone like Wallstedt were to fall to No. 15, I would want him over anyone. But that likely won't be the case. The next in line would be Chibrikov for me. Think his slippery offensive ability is highly underrated, but lack of pro experience will have him fall. I see him as a riser, though, so we'll see. Next would be a tie between Svechkov and Pinelli, but I wouldn't mind a reach on Rosen or Olausson, either.

We shall see...
Good stuff here. How about the two C from the Q in that range, Bolduc and Bourgault? I think I saw that they had dropped a bit, but not sure what the factors surrounding that were.

Side note, while I know if we took another Dman in the first round the board would riot, I really like everything about that Lambos kid - looks like he's the all-around package, for good value in the mid-late first. Everything aside from the very obvious and concerning injury questions that is.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

That speculation is based on nothing.

There's no way Strome is traded for the 10th overall selection. Carry on.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I agree that both Beniers and McTavish will be gone before the top 10 ends. Svechkov is slated to go in the teens, he could very well rise, too. L'Heureux is a tough one to get right on draft night, but I think he'll go in the 20's.

As for the ones you mentioned...

Josh Doan and Samuel Helenius are two big ones I think NYR should go after in the middle rounds. I don't think Helenius is going to drop past the 2nd round, but if he doesn't NYR needs to snag him quick. I like Doan with their 1st 3rd round pick too. Kid has a motor and a mindset.

As for others, I like Kapanen, too. Solid shot and plays similar to his cousin, Kasperi. Before Bob's list I would've said that there is no way he falls to the 3rd, but seeing he's No. 52 on his list there is a good chance that might happen. Savage is another I like in the 3rd round. Another high motor kid.

I really like Bardakov in the later rounds. Big solid player that has some pro experience under his belt. Not sure about offensive upside though. Maybe a Kulemin-type player?

One player that doesn't get enough love on here is Ville Koivunen. Kid won the SM-Liiga J-20 season MVP. Feel he'll be a nice surprise down the road.

Any thoughts on Brabenec as a middle round target? I've only read about him, but what I read sounds intriguing.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Personal general draft wishlist:

#1 McTavish
#2 Berniers
#3 Wallstedt
#4 Lucius
#5 Svechkov
#6 Power
#7 Räty (still don't know if DND. I'd love to speak to him. Most important interview subject right here.)
#8 Bolduc
#9 L'Heureux
#10 Pinelli

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

We shall see...
I hope Lucius falls due to not playing that many games. He’s got silky smooth hands and is a Center. If we move up MacTavish checks a lot of boxes, Wallstedt would be a smart pick. We will certainly get a “nice” prospect at 15 but I still have my doubts the rangers keep the pick

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Any thoughts on Brabenec as a middle round target? I've only read about him, but what I read sounds intriguing.

Jakub Brabenec at eliteprospects.com

:O

Umm... you tell me if I'm wrong, but this reads like he played underage, everywhere.

13yo in U16
16yo in U19
17yo - 1st Czech league game

Can only agree, he looks intriguing af. Tape looks like Chytil in slow :dunno:

I mean, it's stone age metrics to some, but he's a +2 in 23 1st Czech league games last season.

Bottom 6 guy? Sure, maybe one of those sweet 4th rounders?

Reactions: pblawr

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Jakub Brabenec at eliteprospects.com

:O

Umm... you tell me if I'm wrong, but this reads like he played underage, everywhere.

13yo in U16
16yo in U19
17yo - 1st Czech league game

Can only agree, he looks intriguing af. Tape looks like Chytil in slow :dunno:

I mean, it's stone age metrics to some, but he's a +2 in 23 1st Czech league games last season.

Bottom 6 guy? Sure, maybe one of those sweet 4th rounders?

Thanks for posting the videos! At work so can't watch them right now, but excited to see them later on.

Yes - that's what I read - could be a bottom 6 C option - if he's on the board in the 4th round he could be an interesting target.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Yo Rangers draft team! Take notes.

Had a chance to watch the shift by shift video. I'm not seeing a top 6 player but IMO he is VERY defensively responsible for a kid who is 4 days away from being 2022 draft eligible. After reading about him I was intrigued - now I absolutely think we should draft this kid with a 4th round pick - maybe even a 3rd.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Barely know anything about this draft lol but from what I've seen of players the one who stood out most to me who we could realistically get at 15; Fabian Lysell. It's not common when skating is the biggest knock against both your 1st & 2nd overall picks in back to back years lol, so I think Lysell has a skillset that would be unique in our pool.

I also like Svechkov.

Raty is enticing just because of how highly regarded he once was and perhaps we shouldn't judge players entirely based off last season during these strange circumstances. But in any videos I've seen of him playing he hasn't looked impressive. I wouldn't be mad if we draft him though.

I get the feeling the NYR have been more angled to grabbing risers rather than fallers in recent years. Of course, Drury may hava different perspective, but I doubt it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I really don’t wanna trade this puck away. There should be a decent center on the board at 15.
Also excited to have what 5-6 picks in rounds 3 and 4?
If the scouts did their homework this could be the year to find a gem or two

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Bob McKenzies Twitter Thread

Feels strange to not be doing NHL draft broadcast Friday night but, as the Italians say, c’est la vie. Didn’t do the draft broadcast from ‘99 to ‘02 (when TSN lost national NHL rights for the 1st time) but have done it for TSN or NBC every year since. So the streak ends at 18.

I’ve attended and/or broadcast every NHL draft since 1979 so not too sure what I’ll be doing tomorrow night. ‍♂️ In the meantime, now that TSN’s Final Draft Rankings are out tsn.ca/owen-power-pul… I thought I might provide a little additional context on this year’s rankings.

Just a reminder on the @TSNHockey rankings: they have nothing to do with the order of selection and individual team preferences. It’s a consensus ranking in a vacuum, so to speak. We don’t re-arrange the order to fit how the teams in the first round might actually proceed.

As noted, 10 out of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN had Owen Power at No. 1. I could say I’d be really surprised if BUF didn’t take the big D at No. 1 but haven’t invested any time, so far anyway, in checking it out. Usually wait until Draft Day to try to nail down how Top 10 will go

Decades of experience pro tip: Most of what you hear in the days/weeks leading up to draft is white noise or . It’s only in the hours ahead of it, you really get a feel for who’s interested in who. So my motto became: Don’t chase the draft; let it come to you.

As duly noted in TSN story accompanying the rankings, this year’s Top 9 is insanely tight. Not a lot separating the next 8 after Power: 2. Beniers. 3. Edvinsson. T4. Eklund/McTavish. 6. Guenther. 7. Clarke. 8. Hughes. 9. Johnson. A few thoughts on that:

The Beniers-Edvinsson-Eklund-McTavish-Guenther tier is ever so slightly separated from the Clarke-Hughes-Johnson grouping but it may be inconsequential in that I could see one, maybe two, from the latter group going Top 5. Just a guess: Top 5 will consist of 3 F’s and 2 D

If, by chance, two of those ranked 7-9, do crash the Top 5 party, which two of our No. 2-6 prospects fall out? A lot of fans/media will say it’s Edvinsson. Fair enough, but that goes against our scouting survey, where half of 10 teams we surveyed have the big Swede at No. 2 or 3.

No sense belabouring the point, but the 8 prospects ranked from 2-9 could be taken in any order and I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Because it’s so tight this year in that range, teams picking there may be more inclined to eschew “best player available” for a positional need.

Obvious ?: Anyone ranked outside our Top 9 who could break in and push one of them down? Sure, certainly not out of the question — only takes one team liking one guy, as they say — but that Top 9, on consensus, is separated from the rest of the field.

And having two goaltenders — Wallstedt at No. 12 and Cossa at No. 15 — as potential Top 10 threats certainly heightens expectation of our Top 9 being broken up.

On consensus, there’s more support for Wallstedt breaking into Top 9 or 10 than Cossa. The also earned marginally higher ranking than the . To recap: 4 of 10 scouts ranked JW between Nos. 5-10. SC did not get top-10 consideration but 4 of 10 did rank SC ahead of JW.

So my sense is that if a goalie goes Top 10, it’s more likely to be Wallstedt than Cossa, but failing that, it’s not out of the question that Cossa could still be taken ahead of Wallstedt. Got it?

There are also some pretty pretty good goal-scorers in the first tier immediately beyond our Top 9. Lucius at No. 10; Sillinger at No. 11 and Coronato at No. 13. Relative to this draft class, all three are elite at putting pucks in the net.

Once Lucius overcame injuries and illness, he scored 13 in 13 GP for USNTDP U-18. Sillinger had 24 in 31 USHL GP and Coronato had 48 in 51 USHL GP. 48!! That’s insane. So the two G’s and those three shooters are the most logical threats to get into Top 9 or 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: I Eat Crow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad