20. Bourgault
21. Lambos
22. Cuelemans
23. Pinelli
24. Chibrikov
iu

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Like I was saying in part one, if Wallstedt is actually around No. 15 he should be the selection.
Was going to reply in other thread, but I also agree with this. As someone who has long awaited Shesty and wish he had gotten over here sooner.. the reality is that we could be moving on from him in 3-5 years. Even once he inevitably signs an extension, I'm not sure we see the Richter or Lundqvist career arc. I'm 100p cool with taking Wallstedt and using Shesty as a trade chip if all went well. It's not unrealistic to think if we took Wallstedt, in 3 years right during the prime of this teams window, we could be ushering in a generational goalie talent along with having a major trade piece in Shesty already locked into a contract.

That being said, I mentioned last thread a week or two back that although I usually prefer BPA, this is a scenario where I think the Rangers have to find the Center they like at whatever value and go and get them. If they think Beniers fits what they want, go up and get him. If they think Svech falls and he's their guy, nab him. If they have settled on Lucius or someone else and they are eyeing where they fall to, go and get them. Should have the ammo to do that this year without sacrificing too much and I think they desperately need to add a Center to this farm.

Reactions: eco's bones

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
When we're talking goalies... tbh Cossa sounds intriguing being 6'6. He's massive, technically sound and explosive. There's not going to be a lot of daylight with his pads on.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Like I was saying in part one, if Wallstedt is actually around No. 15 he should be the selection.
Was gonna reply to you in the other thread about this but it got closed before it could. I'm fine with this as well as Svechkov there but I have a gut feeling both those guys are gone in the top 10.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Was going to reply in other thread, but I also agree with this. As someone who has long awaited Shesty and wish he had gotten over here sooner.. the reality is that we could be moving on from him in 3-5 years. Even once he inevitably signs an extension, I'm not sure we see the Richter or Lundqvist career arc. I'm 100p cool with taking Wallstedt and using Shesty as a trade chip if all went well. It's not unrealistic to think if we took Wallstedt, in 3 years right during the prime of this teams window, we could be ushering in a generational goalie talent along with having a major trade piece in Shesty already locked into a contract.

That being said, I mentioned last thread a week or two back that although I usually prefer BPA, this is a scenario where I think the Rangers have to find the Center they like at whatever value and go and get them. If they think Beniers fits what they want, go up and get him. If they think Svech falls and he's their guy, nab him. If they have settled on Lucius or someone else and they are eyeing where they fall to, go and get them. Should have the ammo to do that this year without sacrificing too much and I think they desperately need to add a Center to this farm.

Not sure if I've discussed my thoughts with you before, but I agree...

Wallstedt/Shesty would be situation would be a potential incredible win for NYR, whether or not they keep one trade the other or have a tandem with both of them while having controllable cap between them. By the time Shesty is closing in on 30, Wallstedt would be 22 or 23. The timeline makes sense.

As for the pick and using it for a center, I feel they should trade it for an upgrade now rather than selecting a center. If they're able to move it for No. 2 and grab Beniers then that's fine too, but I feel it has better use to grab a guy like Larkin or equivalent. Lots of moving parts in the coming days.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
When we're talking goalies... tbh Cossa sounds intriguing being 6'6. He's massive, technically sound and explosive. There's not going to be a lot of daylight with his pads on.

I disagree. He's big and quite athletic, but he gets out of position and overcommits a lot. He needs to be taught when to commit and learn how to recover.

What you just described is Wallstedt to a T. He's going to be awesome!!

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I agree that if those top11 guys on Bob's list are gone, and Wallstedt slips to us, I wouldn't want to pass up on him.

Ideally though, we could work a trade with somebody willing to overpay to get their hands on him. Like Minnesota.

15 + 64
for
21 + 24

Or something like that.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Was gonna reply to you in the other thread about this but it got closed before it could. I'm fine with this as well as Svechkov there but I have a gut feeling both those guys are gone in the top 10.

Could very well happen, especially Wallstedt. Now that we all have a better indication where they could go on draft night, we could still see a lot of maneuvering.

Exciting times ahead!!

:popcorn:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Zero % chance we are taking a goalie in the 1st round. Sorry boys but Drury didn't get the job to draft a player that will take 4-6 years to get to the NHL. He was brought in to make the team better ASAP. We'll get someone who is ready in 2 years.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Not sure if I've discussed my thoughts with you before, but I agree...

Wallstedt/Shesty would be situation would be a potential incredible win for NYR, whether or not they keep one trade the other or have a tandem with both of them while having controllable cap between them. By the time Shesty is closing in on 30, Wallstedt would be 22 or 23. The timeline makes sense.

As for the pick and using it for a center, I feel they should trade it for an upgrade now rather than selecting a center. If they're able to move it for No. 2 and grab Beniers then that's fine too, but I feel it has better use to grab a guy like Larkin or equivalent. Lots of moving parts in the coming days.
I don't think we've chatted about this. I tend to keep out of the fray when things are off the rail as they are in most topics lol. That and I tend to stay interacting with only certain posters who I find worth the time. I don't have the time and energy to engage in online debates as I did years ago. Plus, I don't condemn analytics but they're also not be all end all and that seems to be the crux of many conversations here. I'm out here tossing likes though. But I digress....

Completely agree on Wallstedt and Shesty, part of me is hoping he's there at 15 for sure. I'm thinking Knight and his little show this year is going to inspire some team in the top 10 or soon after to nab him though. If I'm a GM and I see a fall off at 8 and I don't have a concrete solution in net 4 years from then, I'm jumping on him.

As far as keeping/moving the pick I'm not so there with ya. I wouldn't hate it to be moved for a center I suppose, but I just don't think the right deal is there for them, or will be before they're on the clock. It feels like to me there's more foreplay that has to happen in whatever deal, or the right guy isn't even available right now, and I'm a firm believer in perfect is the enemy of great.

I can see Dvorak a bit as he's so cost controlled, he can be a 3C if Chytil passes him. Conversely, if we go looking for a new 2C in 2 years because he doesn't work out, he shouldn't really hinder that process. I can see Larkin, I'm not scared of trading with the Great and Might Y. He won't get fleeced though, and there's some definite risk/reward involved with Larkin. I think he blossoms here point wise but am I willing to give up either one of Nils or Krav who I think are pretty sure things (just my opinion).

Feels like a big trade to fill 1C might be forcing more than a smaller trade to move up to get a guy from this draft at C. I also don't think that small trade up prohibits them from going after a 1C if they really want long term. The dream is to nab Lundell from Florida IMO though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad