Draft 2021 NHL Draft and FA thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
Lias' issue was his own head (at least from what we know) and from what has been known about Svechkov that doesn't seem to be the case. Otherwise, a defensively reliable center prospect that can be a quality 3C in the NHL is something NYR needs in their pipeline.

Before Bob's list Svechkov was ranked as high as No. 6 to as low as No. 58. Bob has him at No. 17, IIRC. I would take his list with higher priority than others because he talks to at least 10 scouts each year to gauge their lists. Expectation then would mean Svechkov will go in the teens somewhere.

honest question. Would you rather draft a guy that can be a 3c or draft the best possible player and grab a 3c in free agency?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don't understand why Russian's continue to fall lower than where they should be. When was the last time a high-profile player from Russia didn't sign here? Kovalchuk leaving is the most recent situation I can recall but that was a gift to the Devils if anything.

I mean in 2023 there is going to be a real battle for the No. 1 pick between Conor Bedard and Matvei Michkov...

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
honest question. Would you rather draft a guy that can be a 3c or draft the best possible player and grab a 3c in free agency?

Best possible player and grab a 3C in free agency. Zero question.

Anybody you draft, whether they can be a 3C or not, is probably not contributing this year.

The Rangers desperately need centers though and if the prospects are close it's fine to lean to the position you need. Honestly, is there really that much quality difference between Lysell, Othmann, Coronato, and Sillinger? In that case just take the center. (though admittedly I am a little partial towards Lysell)

But if Dylan Guenther falls, I think you have to grab him. Same as the logic behind drafting Wallstedt.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

The draft will always outbid a free agent, IMO. If that drafted player becomes something, you have 3 years of cost-controlled quality that could go a long way for a team. Look at Tampa for example with this. They have guys like Joseph, Gourde, Stephens, and Cirelli all fill big roles on their depth chart and were (and some still are) on small deals. This way a GM could use their cap on big-money players.

It may be easier for the Rangers (because they got the cash), but smaller budgeted teams like Columbus or Arizona need this to compete.

So IMO, I'd rather draft any player and have them develop over a free agent. With that said, though, there are circumstances where that could change like bringing back Dom Moore to play 4C or this current Goodrow signing. This could also change based on BPA, too. So there's risk involved, for sure, but there's risk for signing a UFA if they don't pan out.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Best possible player and grab a 3C in free agency. Zero question.

Anybody you draft, whether they can be a 3C or not, is probably not contributing this year.

The Rangers desperately need centers though and if the prospects are close it's fine to lean to the position you need. Honestly, is there really that much quality difference between Lysell, Othmann, Coronato, and Sillinger? In that case just take the center. (though admittedly I am a little partial towards Lysell)

But if Dylan Guenther falls, I think you have to grab him. Same as the logic behind drafting Wallstedt.

I mean, BPA all the way, right? Seems to give a team the best chance at getting a quality player.

With that said, this class is going to go all over the place tonight. Even Bob is saying that this is going to wildly inaccurate to most rankings.

We shall see...

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
There is very little chance we get him but he isn't small. He is listed at 6'2.

Funny, always thought he's small, must have confused him with eklund. Still, no interest in wingers or playmakers.

McTavish is my BPA, just like pettersson was couple years back. Will be a monster and I would lose if we magically pick him up. Hope he goes out west obviously.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Funny, always thought he's small, must have confused him with eklund. Still, no interest in wingers or playmakers.

McTavish is my BPA, just like pettersson was couple years back. Will be a monster and I would lose if we magically pick him up. Hope he goes out west obviously.

Must be thinking of Eklund, then (even though he doesn't play tiny)...

Crazy to think that Eklund had Covid and had an emergency appendectomy done this season, yet still worked his way to the top 5. Imagine what he can accomplish if he has a full healthy year?

Agreed on McTavish!

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
That's kind of what I was figuring based on past feedback.

They're willing to move the pick, but you can't give it away either. You have to have value in return.

Hey, I've been hearing that Kent Johnson is not in the Ranger's top 20...

Have you heard the same?

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009

I like him but I think we need to draft a center who can skate. - Svechkov if we make the pick.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad