Draft 2021 NHL Draft and FA thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I feel like Svechkov, Wallstedt, or Othmann are going to be the pick if the Rangers hold onto their pick at 15.

Outside chance they trade into the top 10, but if they do, that pick is flipped for a center not named Jack Eichel.

#insiderrrrrr

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Wishlist:

Wallstedt, Svechkov, Bolduc, Cossa, Boucher, or Ceulemans. I have Helenius higher than 15th but it’s not worth it to take him there when he’s ranked late 2nd now, would be happy if we could trade up for him or he drops to our 3rd rounder. A goalie would be great, would actually be the perfect time to draft a goalie so when Shesty is 30 or so, the new goalie is about ready to takeover and instead of paying Shesty his retirement contract at no less than 7 mil over 6 years we have one of Wallstedt/Cossa on their ELC

Reactions: Joey Bones

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
very curious how this plays out. the whispers about moving into the top 10 are especially strange. as has been mentioned, makes most sense it would then be flipped. just don't see why we would to make a pick...don't see anyone there that helps us in the very near future...only guy would be beniers and thats moving into the top 2-3 for a price i can't imagine we're looking to pay. other than that...maybe kent johnson to bring in an electrifying presence in the middle? doesn't seem to fit how we've been building though, not sure who we'd have our eye on but i don't love the idea of moving up this year to use the pick.

if we use our pick where at i'd hope for coronato, love his game. i'm no expert though - no doubt theres other good options / very possible i'm reading him wrong, i just try to get a feel for a few options expected in our range and read whats out there / watch a some highlights and amalgamate that into a somewhat informed opinion on the styles i like / who i see panning out / fits within the current roster.

my personal preference though would be to trade back and add a second round pick. theres so much less tape / experience for a lot of these kids with the last year and a half. teams are flying half blind in a lot of cases, which suggests to me theres going to be a ton of value through the first few rounds. it seems to be viewed as a pretty talented draft, i'd prefer to take a later 1st and a second 2 have 2 cracks at a home run with some of the centers out there. a guy like samoskevich or stankoven who seems like a baby point.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
How the mighty have fallen. Raty at 28. Former consensus top 3 pick, then top 10. Now he is a late 1st.
Aatu Raty could be the steal of the draft. He played for Karpat where the two top scorers from the year before had left to play in the NHL.
It appears that the coach made the decision to use a trap style system where the Karpat players would skate just past the blue line and then dump the puck into the offensive zone then lay back and try and try an cause the attacking team to make a mistake and then counter attack. They didn’t give up a lot of goals as a team and they also didn’t score many.
Give credit to Raty’s character that he kept to the system putting aside his career advancement.
I would take a flyer on him if we had two first or if all our top choices are gone by 15 (16).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cag29 and NYSPORTS

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
why is he on the DND list?

Well, he isn't, but I'd like to talk to him, to maybe find it out, if he should be. He's was the top prospect around two years ago. Overhyped?

In any case his value dropped hard. We would have to know about his passion, drive, does he want to leave Finland?

Not much offense shown these past two seasons. I don't want to draft a bottom-6 player with our 1st rd pick.

I'm such a wierdo, that I'm genuienly pissed at McKenzie's (joke?), that "c'est la vie" is supposed to be something the Italians say. lol

Last edited:

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I'm hoping that Sillinger is available at 15 though I doubt it and if not Coronato or Svechkov in that order.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Well, he isn't, but I'd like to talk to him, to maybe find it out, if he should be. He's was the top prospect around two years ago. Overhyped?

In any case his value dropped hard. We would have to know about his passion, drive, does he want to leave Finland?

Not much offense shown these past two seasons. I don't want to draft a bottom-6 player with our 1st rd pick.

I'm such a wierdo, that I'm genuienly pissed at McKenzie's (joke?), that "c'est la vie" is supposed to be something the Italians say. lol
Aren’t all kids in Canada required to learn French in primary school? Even so how does a person who has probably spent a portion of his career in Quebec and talking to Quebecers not know this?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Draft morning mock:

15. C Chaz Lucius- USNTDP
64. LW Conner Roulette- Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
79. RW Ryan Winterton- Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL
103. RD Benjamin Roger- London Knights, OHL
105. LD William Trudeau- Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL
111. C Joshua Roy- Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL
143. RW Connor Kurth- Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
175. LD Tyson Hinds- Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL
207. C Daniil Lazutin- SKA-1946 St. Petersburg, MHL

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I would be ecstatic if we got Svechkov with that pick. I know he's projected to be there but i feel like he'll be gone by then.....if we still have the pick and id be super excited if we moved up in the draft. I wish there woulf be a little restraint from the front office right now and i miss when Jd and Gorton were running this , the Sather/Drury thing scares me.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Good stuff here. How about the two C from the Q in that range, Bolduc and Bourgault? I think I saw that they had dropped a bit, but not sure what the factors surrounding that were.

Side note, while I know if we took another Dman in the first round the board would riot, I really like everything about that Lambos kid - looks like he's the all-around package, for good value in the mid-late first. Everything aside from the very obvious and concerning injury questions that is.

I would stay away from Bolduc unless they trade back. He could become an interesting pivot, but it seems he lost a lot of scoring touch when Lafreniere left Rimouski. I'd pass on Bourgault too, TBH. Again if they trade back, he's not a bad option. Not a big fan of his skating and defensive play, though. I would take Bolduc before Bourgault.

I do think both could fall in the 2nd round, especially since guys like Wyatt Johnston, Ilya Fedotov, and Kirill Kirsanov are rumored to go way higher than they were on Bob's list.

I really like Lambos and think his season was a little unjustified. Bob was mentioning on his final rankings show that Lambos developed a medical condition in which he had to undergo a medical procedure, but not sure the severity of it and what it actually was. I like him as an option for No. 15, though.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Any thoughts on Brabenec as a middle round target? I've only read about him, but what I read sounds intriguing.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind him. He's a good skater that never stops which is great. A relentless motor will go far in today's NHL. Smart with the puck on his stick. I think offensive ability in the pros won't be prominent, but that could change in development. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him with one of their 4ths and later.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Personal general draft wishlist:

#1 McTavish
#2 Berniers
#3 Wallstedt
#4 Lucius
#5 Svechkov
#6 Power
#7 Räty (still don't know if DND. I'd love to speak to him. Most important interview subject right here.)
#8 Bolduc
#9 L'Heureux
#10 Pinelli

That's not bad actually, but if you're throwing in players that NYR mostly won't be able to reach, you should also mention Clarke, Eklund, and Guenther. I would choose any of them along with the others.

On this list, though, I would do the following changes...

1. Beniers
2. Power
3. Wallstedt
4. McTavish
5. Lucius
6. Svechkov
T7. Pinelli
T7. Raty (these confidence rumors are a concern, but if he can get past it he can be a real steal!)
9. L'Heureux
10. Bolduc

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I hope Lucius falls due to not playing that many games. He’s got silky smooth hands and is a Center. If we move up MacTavish checks a lot of boxes, Wallstedt would be a smart pick. We will certainly get a “nice” prospect at 15 but I still have my doubts the rangers keep the pick

We'll see. If he does fall to No. 16 then he's a solid option. He was ranked in Bob's top 10, though.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Jakub Brabenec at eliteprospects.com

:O

Umm... you tell me if I'm wrong, but this reads like he played underage, everywhere.

13yo in U16
16yo in U19
17yo - 1st Czech league game

Can only agree, he looks intriguing af. Tape looks like Chytil in slow :dunno:

I mean, it's stone age metrics to some, but he's a +2 in 23 1st Czech league games last season.

Bottom 6 guy? Sure, maybe one of those sweet 4th rounders?

Think he reminds me more of Freddy Sjostrom if the offense doesn't translate. I would take a stab at him in the 4th or later.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I don't understand why Russian's continue to fall lower than where they should be. When was the last time a high-profile player from Russia didn't sign here? Kovalchuk leaving is the most recent situation I can recall but that was a gift to the Devils if anything.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This makes even less sense because he said they want a goalie in case Shestyorkin doesn’t play well or can’t get him signed

Are any of these goalies walking into the NHL next year and playing? No

Carp ain’t even trying

Agreed, but I think Wallstedt is really close. Think after 2 years he can come in and compete.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Aatu Raty could be the steal of the draft. He played for Karpat where the two top scorers from the year before had left to play in the NHL.
It appears that the coach made the decision to use a trap style system where the Karpat players would skate just past the blue line and then dump the puck into the offensive zone then lay back and try and try an cause the attacking team to make a mistake and then counter attack. They didn’t give up a lot of goals as a team and they also didn’t score many.
Give credit to Raty’s character that he kept to the system putting aside his career advancement.
I would take a flyer on him if we had two first or if all our top choices are gone by 15 (16).

There are multiple reports suggesting that Raty had confidence issues which led to his drop in play. That doesn't speak much on character.

IMO, I hope he can rebound because I agree that he can be a real steal if he gets his head together.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I would be ecstatic if we got Svechkov with that pick. I know he's projected to be there but i feel like he'll be gone by then.....if we still have the pick and id be super excited if we moved up in the draft. I wish there woulf be a little restraint from the front office right now and i miss when Jd and Gorton were running this , the Sather/Drury thing scares me.

To be fair the Rangers drafted just fine in Sather's later years.

Kreider, Miller, Stepan, Skjei, all later picks in the first/second.

It's his overarching philosophy of trade away all the first round picks to "win now," that I am scared of.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Dropped because of these confidence issues that were reported. Again, if he can get his head together he'll be a real steal!!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm hoping that Sillinger is available at 15 though I doubt it and if not Coronato or Svechkov in that order.

Sillinger is such a hit-or-miss prospect. He's on some nights and looks phenomenal and then other nights disappears. @Edge compared him to Kyle Turris way back and I think that is a really good comparison. Hopefully he can work on his consistency issues because he plays very "juniors", ATM.

Stay away from Coronato, I can't stress this enough!! His skating is bad... bending down from the back rather than down and powerful. Was also on a stacked Chicago team where he was primarily a support player. There's no denying his goal-scoring ability, but he doesn't drive a play. Neutral zone entry is a concern I'm worried about how he'll compete at higher levels without working on his skating.

Svechkov is a great option to become a smart, defensive-minded center in the NHL. I think he can be a 3C currently but could develop 2C qualities depending on offensive development. Would love that pick at No. 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad