NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I don't see it as a big deal. Plus teams run so many sub-packages this stuff is already constantly changing. While teams still use traditional 4-3 or 3-4 fronts, some teams are often more in big nickel (3 safties) or big dime, 3-3-5, etc. I generally like Brady's comments but I thought this was a whole bunch of nothing, and almost wondered if it was sarcasm.
Going to be a lot of deals behind the scenes between incoming high end draft picks looking to keep their high school/college number against a backup in the NFL.

Like what you saw with Indy and the WR #11 not wanting to give it up to Wentz.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Sean Lee retired today after 11 seasons with Dallas. :(

Ez6kubYWUAYzur-

Reactions: Dr Salt

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Going to be a lot of deals behind the scenes between incoming high end draft picks looking to keep their high school/college number against a backup in the NFL.

Like what you saw with Indy and the WR #11 not wanting to give it up to Wentz.
Really depends who is coming in. Godwin in Tampa gave up the #12 pretty quickly!

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The guy played 1 full season in 11 years. He got paid for almost doing nothing.

Yeah - I don't think so:

The 34-year-old led the Cowboys in tackles in 2011 and 2015-17, and he owns five of the top seven tackle games in team history, including a record 22 vs. the Giants in 2016. He also had 14 career interceptions, returning two of them for touchdowns; 5 fumble recoveries; 2 forced fumbles; 59 tackles for loss; and 4 sacks.

He was credited with 995 tackles for his career, good for eighth in team history. He averaged 8.4 tackles per game, the most among the top 10 tacklers in team history. Darren Woodson, who is the franchise leader with 1,350, averaged 7.6 tackles per game.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah - I don't think so:

The 34-year-old led the Cowboys in tackles in 2011 and 2015-17, and he owns five of the top seven tackle games in team history, including a record 22 vs. the Giants in 2016. He also had 14 career interceptions, returning two of them for touchdowns; 5 fumble recoveries; 2 forced fumbles; 59 tackles for loss; and 4 sacks.

He was credited with 995 tackles for his career, good for eighth in team history. He averaged 8.4 tackles per game, the most among the top 10 tacklers in team history. Darren Woodson, who is the franchise leader with 1,350, averaged 7.6 tackles per game.
Exactly right. Sean Lee was a very very good bordering on great LB who just couldn’t stay healthy. I’m not ever going to crap on a guy for bad luck.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Exactly right. Sean Lee was a very very good bordering on great LB who just couldn’t stay healthy. I’m not ever going to crap on a guy for bad luck.

Plus he was like an extra Coach on the field. Hopefully LVE can stay healthy this season because without him ( and Lee ) that Dallas D is scary bad. :thumbd:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Plus he was like an extra Coach on the field. Hopefully LVE can stay healthy this season because without him ( and Lee ) that Dallas D is scary bad. :thumbd:
I think LVE will be out of the league soon. The Cowboys need to stop using good draft picks on injury prone or project LBs.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

The “he’s a freak athlete” was often a way of saying he’s not a very cerebral qb.

Just as “he has a very high football iq” means he’s not as talented as the other guy.

I think MOST franchises can see past all of that now and draft who they believe is best. That said, I have a hard time spending the 3rd pick on a guy who has epilepsy issues, regardless of color, athleticism or smarts.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jones is great but that salary combined with the injury history probably doesn't generate a bidding war of him.
Julio has a base salary of $15.3 million next season and $11.5 mill in 2022 (of which $2 mill is guaranteed). ATL is going to be eating his $22 mill of signing bonus money left on his contract if they trade him.

Realistically, at best they get a 3rd round pick IMO. Doubt Julio is taking less money in a trade. ATL seems to have held onto Ryan/Jones for too long hoping that they could return to the SB. Didn't happen, now they are in cap hell for the next couple of seasons. Can't even bring in free agents even if they draft a QB at 4. Waste one of the kid's low cap hit years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad