NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Maybe a fire was finally lit under Nkemdiche's backside, and he realized what kind of real work he needs to put in if he wants to play again.
Good for him if so, but I expect nothing will come of this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Both teams jumped the gun giving their guy contract extensions after year 3. Ended up having to eat a massive dead cap hit.

With all of the rumblings this off-season between Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, wonder if teams going forward re-think how they structure QB contracts. Do they shift Signing Bonus moving into Guaranteed base salary so that they don't end up with massive dead cap hits if the QB wants out 2 years into a 5 year extension? Does that make them harder to move and you get back less since the other team would have to take on a higher cap hit?

Reactions: Voight

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Both teams jumped the gun giving their guy contract extensions after year 3. Ended up having to eat a massive dead cap hit.

With all of the rumblings this off-season between Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, wonder if teams going forward re-think how they structure QB contracts. Do they shift Signing Bonus moving into Guaranteed base salary so that they don't end up with massive dead cap hits if the QB wants out 2 years into a 5 year extension? Does that make them harder to move and you get back less since the other team would have to take on a higher cap hit?
Yes if I am re-signing a QB on a 2nd contract I would negotiate an out by year 2 or at least by year 3.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes if I am re-signing a QB on a 2nd contract I would negotiate an out by year 2 or at least by year 3.
Usually, when you hear the term "Out", that means that the player no longer has much guaranteed money left on their contract. Signing bonuses are prorated over the term of the contract. Giving a guy $50 mill in signing bonus over 5 year term means that you are only eating $10 mill per year of that SB in a cap charge. If you move that player after 2 seasons on that contract, you have to eat $30 mill of that SB in dead money.

So, instead of giving $50 mill in SB, can you adjust it and make it $20 mill in SB, but then guaranteed that player's salary for years 3/4 to make up the guaranteed money?

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"Amazon’s exclusive ‘Thursday Night Football’ package will begin in 2022 instead of 2023

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Troy - you may remember me as the guy that really ( and I do mean REALLY !!!!! ) hopes that you are wrong about LVE. But the style he plays does not usually lead to a long injury-free career.
Today, the Cowboys made it official that they're not picking up LVE's 5th year option. This season becomes a prove it year for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Browns are taking a chance on a guy here. One heck of a resume.

His last game would have been a bowl game in late December 2016 or January 1, 2017. His first snap if he gets into preseason action will be august 2021. That’s a lot of time off.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Courtney Hall, team captain of the Chargers team who went to the super bowl in 1994, passed on yesterday. The curse of that team lives on, like half of that team is dead.

Mar 1, 2002
I remember the ATV accident but had no idea he also went to prison. :amazed:

The Seattle Seahawks selected McDowell in the second round (35th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft.[19] On May 25, 2017, the Seahawks signed McDowell to a four-year, $6.95 million contract with $4.40 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $3.19 million.[20]

A few weeks prior to training camp, McDowell was involved in an ATV accident and was placed on the reserve/did not report list on July 30, 2017.[21][22] He later returned to practice and was placed on the non-football injury list on August 3 due to the injuries from the accident.[23] He was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol on September 22, 2017, and was sentenced to 12 months of probation on March 20, 2018. He was arrested again in December 2017 for disorderly conduct.[24]

On February 18, 2019, McDowell got into an altercation with police in Lathrup Village, Michigan, and was charged with assault, resisting arrest, and operating a vehicle while intoxicated (OVI).[26][27] He was released by the Seahawks on March 2, 2019.[28] In April 2019, he was arrested for receiving and concealing stolen property after police found a stolen car in his possession.[1] The Seahawks filed a lawsuit against him in May 2019, after he failed to repay $799,238 of his signing bonus.[29] McDowell was suspended for the first two weeks of the 2019 NFL season as a result of the February 2019 incident on July 12, 2019.[30] He was reinstated from suspension on September 17, 2019. On October 23, 2019, he pleaded guilty to all of the criminal charges.[31] He was sentenced to 11 months in prison on November 13, 2019.[1]

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
McDowell made the immediate impression upon our fanbase that he is a Grade A idiot. For Cleveland's sake I hope he's grown the F up a bit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Saw Florio/Simms do a segment on James. Talked about how the Broncos are pretty much going to not pay the guy because he was at the team facility prior to the statement from the PA asking players to stay away. If that is true, then I don't see any way the Broncos do anything other than not pay the guy since he was there then left the facility after he opted out of the 2020 Covid season.

They made very good points about insuring yourself and contract by being at the team facility. If you get hurt there, they have to cover your contract.

It's very hypocritical of the NFL to expect games to come to camp in shape, but if they work out at home to get ready and hurt themselves cause they are pushing themselves to the limit that they don't get paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->