NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bengals jerseys are whatever. Just some tiger stripes on the shoulder area.

Against Pitt/Balt it will look fine. Never a fan of whenever Cle/Cin play where they end up with Jesery and Pants that are the opposite of the opponent. Think for the QB seeing more constrast between who I am looking to through the ball to would be more ideal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like the jersey number rule will pass, but no one can change their number this late into the off-season without buying out the inventory of jerseys the NFL puts on sale. Unless they change teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds like the jersey number rule will pass, but no one can change their number this late into the off-season without buying out the inventory of jerseys the NFL puts on sale. Unless they change teams.
Personally I think the nfl only needed to let WR or RB wear single digits.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Personally I think the nfl only needed to let WR or RB wear single digits.
Just go full college rules. Let them wear 0, and let them duplicate numbers as long as they’re not on the field at the same time.

while we’re at it, let hockey players wear 0 and normalize 1, 30, 31, and 35 being worn by skaters

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This probably is going to cause a bit of uproar, but very very few undrafted free agents ever make a team. Most teams use them as bodies to fill out training camp and preseason squads. This is probably a signal the NFL will be again holding very scaled back training camps and preseason.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, for the bigger name guys who have a lot of pre-printed jerseys out there, this is going to persuade a bunch of them not to do it. Zeke Elliott is one who was flirting with the idea, bit there are probably thousands of his jerseys hanging in stores right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, for the bigger name guys who have a lot of pre-printed jerseys out there, this is going to persuade a bunch of them not to do it. Zeke Elliott is one who was flirting with the idea, bit there are probably thousands of his jerseys hanging in stores right now.
Reggie Bush once petitioned the league to wear #5. I kind of don’t know why this was a thing at all, since it wasn’t until the ‘50s, but if they never changed most teams would probably have most single digits retired by now.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Tom Brady is very upset about the jersey number thing.

“Good luck trying to block the right people now!!!!” Brady posted on his Instagram story.

An hour later, he doubled down on his comments.
“Why not let the lineman wear whatever they want too?” Brady wrote, tagging the NFL and NFLPA in the process. “Why have numbers? Just have colored jerseys... why not wear the same number? ...DUMB.”

Doesn't seem like that would make a difference to me. "52 is the Mike" vs "8 is the Mike", etc.
Though, as I never played the game at any level, I'm willing to entertain the idea that Tom Brady MIGHT know more than me

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Doesn't seem like that would make a difference to me. "52 is the Mike" vs "8 is the Mike", etc.
Though, as I never played the game at any level, I'm willing to entertain the idea that Tom Brady MIGHT know more than me
Brady is a 20 year nfl vet now so he’s used to the set numbers by position.

DB 20-49, with very few wearing a number in the 40’s
LB 40-59 and 90-99.
DL 50-79 and 90-99. Not really needing to worry when guys put their hand in the dirt.

with LB and CB being able to wear 1-49, as well as 50’s and 90’s for LB there is going to be some change for him when he has to figure out who’s coming on a blitz and whether he gets a matchup on a Lb. is #13 a Lb or DB?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

LB 40-59 and 90-99.
DL 50-79 and 90-99. Not really needing to worry when guys put their hand in the dirt.

with LB and CB being able to wear 1-49, as well as 50’s and 90’s for LB there is going to be some change for him when he has to figure out who’s coming on a blitz and whether he gets a matchup on a Lb. is #13 a Lb or DB?
Any QB worth a shit will know, he’s just complaining because things are just a little bit harder. Or maybe this is why he couldn’t hold the job in college, who knows

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
ALS has to be one of the most miserable diseases to exist.

Shit like Alzheimer's sucks, but at least by time it's run its course the person is unaware. With ALS you're fully aware as your body withers and dies while you basically just have to accept the inevitable. Horrible way to go out. Other stuff like Cancer is bad too but at least if it does kill you, at least you can go knowing you pulled out all the stops to fight and beat it. ALS though? Nope.

Godspeed, Mongo.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

does Brady have to insert himself into EVERY NFL conversation?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

LB 40-59 and 90-99.

I don't think it is big for other QBs though. Isn't it the same numbering system as college football?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think it is big for other QBs though. Isn't it the same numbering system as college football?
NCAA players can wear any number. Aside from OL who remain in the 50-79 range, all other players wear whatever they want. Not many QBs wear anything past 19 though. Think Shea Pattersson when he was at Ole Miss wore #20.

It should not have a major impact. Even if some teams are playing a Safety in the LB spot to cover a TE, that would show up in film study. Like AZ's Isiah Simmons who could play Safety and LB, is wearing #48 in the NFL, which can be both LB and S number. Doubt a switch to #10/#12 (since Fitz #11 would not be available to him), should change a call from a QB.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
NCAA players can wear any number. Aside from OL who remain in the 50-79 range, all other players wear whatever they want. Not many QBs wear anything past 19 though. Think Shea Pattersson when he was at Ole Miss wore #20.

It should not have a major impact. Even if some teams are playing a Safety in the LB spot to cover a TE, that would show up in film study. Like AZ's Isiah Simmons who could play Safety and LB, is wearing #48 in the NFL, which can be both LB and S number. Doubt a switch to #10/#12 (since Fitz #11 would not be available to him), should change a call from a QB.
Yeah, I don't see it as a big deal. Plus teams run so many sub-packages this stuff is already constantly changing. While teams still use traditional 4-3 or 3-4 fronts, some teams are often more in big nickel (3 safties) or big dime, 3-3-5, etc. I generally like Brady's comments but I thought this was a whole bunch of nothing, and almost wondered if it was sarcasm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad