NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's a yikes from me dawg. Angry breakup or not, that's some reprehensible shit to say to someone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I'm sure as part of the interview process, he'd have to have names of the people that he wants. OC/DC/QB coach would be the main ones. If he can get some position coaches as well, that would help, but those are the main 3 that any coaching candidate needs.

Always wonder for a DC/OC it's easy to figure out who they would want on their side of the ball. But, how do they figure out the other side of the ball. Rookie McVay got Phillips to be his DC. Did they have a prior relationship?

Sep 19, 2008
Lot of speculation about Russell Wilson since he usually doesn't give end of the year press conferences

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think I actually prefer that he has some say in who they choose.
Think Russ isn’t looking for an OC to help him win an MVP. Should be aiming for someone to help them win in the playoffs.

with Schotty, they ended up not being able to run vs Dallas, lost to GB because they again couldn’t run in the first half and ran out of time at the end and because they didn’t go for it on 4th and 10 at mid field. Then lost vs Rams again because they could run the ball or so much in the passing game against a great DL.

Should not be an issue for a run heavy OC. But need some creativity in the pass game. Have to scheme better for easier completions.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Would be wild if EB doesn't land one of the jobs out there again. As a Chiefs fan I'm happy for him to stick around but really expected the team to lose him this offseason (if he indeed does get passed over again).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Would be wild if EB doesn't land one of the jobs out there again. As a Chiefs fan I'm happy for him to stick around but really expected the team to lose him this offseason (if he indeed does get passed over again).

His best shot right now is with the Eagles as they are not as far along in their process. No one can talk to him again until the Chiefs are done. It's not something that's stopped teams from hiring guys on playoff teams in the past, and certainly shouldn't be stopping him, but access is important and teams want to have their staffs installed as soon as possible - in some cases in lieu of hiring better candidates such when the 49ers hired Kyle Shanahan (which came after the 49ers waited until the week before to hire John Lynch).

That's like, last year someone should've hired Robert Saleh, but teams decided they couldn't enough access to him so they opted to move on. Now the 49ers have a down year and everyone gets to talk to him.

Just tells you how dumb the process is.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

I can kinda see it. With Bieniemy there's the question of how much of it is his scheme or the juggernaut of a personnel group he has to work with? And then there's his not too pleasant past as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Houston just hands him the job out of panic of Watson really wanting out

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I can kinda see it. With Bieniemy there's the question of how much of it is his scheme or the juggernaut of a personnel group he has to work with? And then there's his not too pleasant past as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Houston just hands him the job out of panic of Watson really wanting out
Yeah, he f***ed up a lot when he was younger, but that’s all 20+ years in the past at this point. Not that it’s less valid or should be shrugged off but organizations bring in guys with checkered pasts all the time. I guess my response is that there’s an element of uncertainty when hiring any assistant. Of course EB benefits from having Mahomes, Kelce, etc. and Reid having a say too. But he’s a big part of the creative scheme and offensive gameplans they feature. I’m not saying he’ll be a sure fire success as a HC, I’m just surprised no organization is at least willing to give him a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad