GDT: 2021 MLB Season Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Is the roster size for teams this year smaller than previous years?

It seems to me like teams are running out of pinch-hitters, pinch-runners, bullpen arms, etc. more this year, or is that just me?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if you look up the definition of garbage in the dictionary it'll read "elvis andrus"

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Is the roster size for teams this year smaller than previous years?

It seems to me like teams are running out of pinch-hitters, pinch-runners, bullpen arms, etc. more this year, or is that just me?

It's because teams refuse to let starting pitchers go much beyond 18 batters if they can help it, and relievers are replaceable guys who throw upper-90's heat but burn out for a day after four batters. The 8-man bullpens are really only 4-man bullpens for each game and they have to expect to go four innings with those four men.

Also, because those relievers throw so hard they're totally gassed after an inning and break down easily, more teams are opting to put in a position player during garbage time innings.

Finally, baseball no longer really has pinch hitters or pinch runners - you have a backup catcher and four guys who rotate into games as necessary. The Lenny Harrises, Greg Colbrunns, and Tom Goodwins are all but gone.

I don't know that the latter is so bad, but I really want to end the dominance of the fungible middle reliever.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Nice little gamble by Girardi that he ends up winning, he knew rain was coming, so he doesn't start Gibson. Rain delay happens in the 3rd and now he goes to Gibson.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
As well as the Rays have been playing lately, and as bad as Boston has during about the same span, stands to reason TB was due for a crap clunker game, while Boston was due to break out for a big one.

And that is what we have tonight as Boston leads Tampa Bay 14-0 in the 6th and the Rays look about as inept as a team can look in this game.

Can't win'em all....and some days, you just gotta go the outhouse to get rid of one....

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
3-2 count with 2 outs and the ump calls a ball on a clear strike. of course cleveland proceeds to take the lead

robot umps please

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Cg with only 2 base runners.

Have to think he’ll get hof consideration when he’s all done.

Wainwright? He doesn't have an argument - he has four All-Star quality seasons in his career, surrounded by partial seasons or decent seasons, and very little career bulk.

Good pitcher, very good at his peak, but never great and that peak wasn't bulky and everything else is pretty pedestrian. Even his postseason only adds maybe another above-average season's worth of value.

I'm not convinced he's one of the 200 best pitchers in baseball history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad