2021 Memorial Cup

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not sure how. But I would love to see a format where even small market teams like Owen sound get a chance to host. Competitive team every year. Great ownership. Stable franchise. Fans that are second to none. A community that would jump at the chance and do anything to make everyone’s stay memorable. Only issue is small arena meaning chl doesn’t cash in big time. Well what’s wrong with rewarding small centres that are solid fixtures in the league every so often. Forget about the cash cow reward the franchise and it’s fans

I agree that the format of awarding teams as Memorial Cup hosts is a bit backwards of a process.

However considering it is a year prior to hosting there would have to be some major upgrades to the Bayshore before the CHL Memorial Cup hosting committee would even consider Owen Sound a viable city to host.

If the CHL hosting committee ever considers Owen Sound as a hosting city we will see massive changes to the Bayshore full capacity is close to 3,800 if the team was able to increase the building capacity and extend the roofs height to accommodate another 1,000 or so seats and add more private suites on the west side of the building then I believe that Owen Sound could be a viable market to make a compelling argument to make a bid on hosting an OHL year in the rotation of Memorial Cup tournaments.

Even if you take the financial side away from the equation of bidding to host the key to hosting is having a facility that would be able accommodate 4 cities teams including the host team as well as local and national media facilities for more then a single national televised game.

Owen Sound is a excellent market for smaller national events e.g. Super Series, Top Prospects Game, not to also add the massive local fan base the team has in which I have a hard time believing that STHs would surrender there seats for corporate sponsors for a whole week event in such a market. If Owen Sound could increase the building capacity to 5,000-7,000 then I could see Owen Sound bit.

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
Based on arena size, quality of team now & projected for next year, I speculate that OHL would rank them as
• Ottawa (largest arena)
• Saginaw
• Kitchener
• Oshawa/Sudbury
A lot will depend on which teams get off to a great start this year. I see Peterborough as a top team in East but arena size is one of smallest in CHL. I think Oshawa team is trending down and I hope Wolves continue to improve despite graduation of UPL. With new Chair of OHL coming from Saginaw it either gives them the inside track or hinders it by the finger pointing if they get it. London will not have support as there are other competitive teams and desire to spread site around.
Time will tell

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Based on arena size, quality of team now & projected for next year, I speculate that OHL would rank them as
• Ottawa (largest arena)
• Saginaw
• Kitchener
• Oshawa/Sudbury
A lot will depend on which teams get off to a great start this year. I see Peterborough as a top team in East but arena size is one of smallest in CHL. I think Oshawa team is trending down and I hope Wolves continue to improve despite graduation of UPL. With new Chair of OHL coming from Saginaw it either gives them the inside track or hinders it by the finger pointing if they get it. London will not have support as there are other competitive teams and desire to spread site around.
Time will tell

Petes & Wolves arenas don’t cut it. The Petes will surely be re-tooling next season. The wolves more than likely graduate too much and spend enough that contention next season seems unlikely.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I agree that the format of awarding teams as Memorial Cup hosts is a bit backwards of a process.

However considering it is a year prior to hosting there would have to be some major upgrades to the Bayshore before the CHL Memorial Cup hosting committee would even consider Owen Sound a viable city to host.

If the CHL hosting committee ever considers Owen Sound as a hosting city we will see massive changes to the Bayshore full capacity is close to 3,800 if the team was able to increase the building capacity and extend the roofs height to accommodate another 1,000 or so seats and add more private suites on the west side of the building then I believe that Owen Sound could be a viable market to make a compelling argument to make a bid on hosting an OHL year in the rotation of Memorial Cup tournaments.

Even if you take the financial side away from the equation of bidding to host the key to hosting is having a facility that would be able accommodate 4 cities teams including the host team as well as local and national media facilities for more then a single national televised game.

Owen Sound is a excellent market for smaller national events e.g. Super Series, Top Prospects Game, not to also add the massive local fan base the team has in which I have a hard time believing that STHs would surrender there seats for corporate sponsors for a whole week event in such a market. If Owen Sound could increase the building capacity to 5,000-7,000 then I could see Owen Sound bit.

Unfortunately I believe the CHL has completely ruled out small market teams with capacity under 5 thousand. The Sault has a relatively new arena, lots of state of the art amenities for the Hounds, tons of resources and hotels but I doubt we would even be a consideration.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Perhaps we should have built the arena with at least 5,000. i mean what would that have cost extra? 3 to 4 rows higher all around should have done it? Or perhaps 500 to 600 Club Seats on the Bruce/Ron Francis side of the building? Since Mr. Fratesi at the time thought it would be cheaper to tender out bids for suites on that side AFTER the arena was built? Sigh.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Petes & Wolves arenas don’t cut it. The Petes will surely be re-tooling next season. The wolves more than likely graduate too much and spend enough that contention next season seems unlikely.
No chance Peterborough bids. Maybe 2024 or more likely 2027 depending on when the proposed new arena actually comes to fruition.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017

The city it self does not have the hotels and stuff that would be needed for such an event like the Mem cup unfortunatly and the arena is almost beyond its life expectancy/way to small and needs to be replaced before to long so theres no sense going and adding seats. That being said I wish it was possible Owen Sound would be an amazing host but just not plausible

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hamilton will quite likely get it

As a long shot to host, I think Kingston can make a decent bid. They have the arena, historic sites, and S.Wright as the big draw. They also have 11-2001 born players picked; 1, 3(2), 4(3), 4, 5, 7. All they will need to add is impact OAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: digiblader

hockeyfire396

Jan 19, 2018
when are the bids submitted? when would the CHL announce the OHL team that gets to host. Would the host the team know before this year's trade deadline, so they can start building towards next year. Has the cup hosting ever been split between two different franchises

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
when are the bids submitted? when would the CHL announce the OHL team that gets to host. Would the host the team know before this year's trade deadline, so they can start building towards next year. Has the cup hosting ever been split between two different franchises

Every host bid is taken into consideration the season prior to hosting the tournament and is based one a very simple format or at least should be.

Every 1 out of every 3 seasons your league will play host to the tournament assuming that your team has a facility that would be large enough to host usually 5,000-9,000 seating capacity give or take any improvements that the city or team can have done prior to the event. This also follows a long variety of factors that the host committees have to be able to meet. Which is too long to add into a single posting on the fourm.

Needless to say that list is checked by the CHL hosting committee and is then taken into consideration by the all mighty $.

The only way a small market club would ever host would be if the CHL changed the rules of their criteria of who could host. Even a place like OS has difficulty hosting nationally broadcast games due to facility capacity issues.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Every host bid is taken into consideration the season prior to hosting the tournament and is based one a very simple format or at least should be.

Every 1 out of every 3 seasons your league will play host to the tournament assuming that your team has a facility that would be large enough to host usually 5,000-9,000 seating capacity give or take any improvements that the city or team can have done prior to the event. This also follows a long variety of factors that the host committees have to be able to meet. Which is too long to add into a single posting on the fourm.

Needless to say that list is checked by the CHL hosting committee and is then taken into consideration by the all mighty $.

The only way a small market club would ever host would be if the CHL changed the rules of their criteria of who could host. Even a place like OS has difficulty hosting nationally broadcast games due to facility capacity issues.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Hamilton will quite likely get it

Zero chance--they're blacklisted from hosting until a new arena is built--plus it is not certain the team will still be in Hamilton next year, as new arena talks are going nowhere and they face a expiring lease after this season, as the 5-year lease they signed when the team moved from Belleville expires.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It depends upon how you look at the tournament, and what you expect to get out of the tournament as a fan.

If you're going for the hockey and the experience of meeting fans from across the Canadian Hockey League then it's a great experience. Myself have been to 3 tournaments spanning back to 2011 when Owen Sound won the chance to go into the tournament in Mississauga as well as London in 2014 and Windsor in 2017.

It is still the greatest junior hockey convention by seeing and socializing with other fans across the CHL. Taking out the corporate sponsors side of the tournament I've always looked at the tournament as a big junior hockey convention.

Reactions: Helvigster

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
what is everyones opinion on Sarnia. Before you simply say no, hear me out. #1 We will have a very nice team in 2021. Sarnia has been building towards 2021 for quite some time now so I don't think being competitive will be an issue. #2 Sarnia has built 2 or 3 new hotels within the last 3 years. I believe we have 10 ish nice hotels, about 5 of them are on the same street about 3-5 mins from the arena. #3 Arena Upgrades, we just got a new scoreboard and LED ring which look great along with new lighting. The city just announced 700 k in more arena upgrades, which include new seats, concessions, new boards and glass, new dressing rooms, washrooms and upgrades to the luxury boxes. The capacity for hockey is somewhere around 5,500, however, I believe more seating can be built to around 6K. #4 Ownership. I think Hatcher and Legwand would have some serious pull within the CHL. I bet they are well connected. #5 Location. Sarnia is a border city and isn't too far from Detroit, London, Toronto ect... #6 Improved downtown. Our downtown is coming along nicely, with new bars and restaurants popping up all the time. #7 New addition to Lambton College. Lambton college is right beside the arena and just did a massive addition which includes a new gym, class rooms, conference rooms and space to hold memorial cup fan events. #8 Not much competition. Not much competition because It would be stupid to give it to a city thats already hosted. Thoughts??

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
what is everyones opinion on Sarnia. Before you simply say no, hear me out. #1 We will have a very nice team in 2021. Sarnia has been building towards 2021 for quite some time now so I don't think being competitive will be an issue. #2 Sarnia has built 2 or 3 new hotels within the last 3 years. I believe we have 10 ish nice hotels, about 5 of them are on the same street about 3-5 mins from the arena. #3 Arena Upgrades, we just got a new scoreboard and LED ring which look great along with new lighting. The city just announced 700 k in more arena upgrades, which include new seats, concessions, new boards and glass, new dressing rooms, washrooms and upgrades to the luxury boxes. The capacity for hockey is somewhere around 5,500, however, I believe more seating can be built to around 6K. #4 Ownership. I think Hatcher and Legwand would have some serious pull within the CHL. I bet they are well connected. #5 Location. Sarnia is a border city and isn't too far from Detroit, London, Toronto ect... #6 Improved downtown. Our downtown is coming along nicely, with new bars and restaurants popping up all the time. #7 New addition to Lambton College. Lambton college is right beside the arena and just did a massive addition which includes a new gym, class rooms, conference rooms and space to hold memorial cup fan events. #8 Not much competition. Not much competition because It would be stupid to give it to a city thats already hosted. Thoughts??

It all comes down to the money. If you're able to make the CHL money, they'll consider you. If you can't, they won't.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Sarnia could be an interesting host. I really want to see another memorial cup in Kitchener its a great atmosphere and close by for me so no accomadation costs to attend :)

Reactions: TheCoach

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
I totally agree I think we should get some serious consideration I would love to see us host it time to give another team a chance to host #sarnia2021

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Has anybody heard about any confirmed bidders? One would assume Oshawa from what they’ve been up to, but will there be any others?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad