2021 Memorial Cup

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Has anybody heard about any confirmed bidders? One would assume Oshawa from what they’ve been up to, but will there be any others?
Its gotta be soon right? Within the next couple of months I would assume? Usually they know next years Memorial cup and this years.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I remember reading somewhere and I wish I kept the article that the applicants have till December and I'm not to sure of the date.
Yeah that's what they were told last year. But Hunt told McNair last week that he still hasnt been told the date of when he needs his bid in by. It's stupid to not let the team know before this years deadline.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't see why you wouldn't tell them before this deadline. Say if the Gens know right now that they are hosting next year, maybe they move Brett Harrison for Phil Tomasino. But if it's not a sure thing, there's no way they can move their rookie 1st rounder for a guy for next year not knowing if they'll even be hosting or not

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't see why you wouldn't tell them before this deadline. Say if the Gens know right now that they are hosting next year, maybe they move Brett Harrison for Phil Tomasino. But if it's not a sure thing, there's no way they can move their rookie 1st rounder for a guy for next year not knowing if they'll even be hosting or not

A Harrison/Tomasino deal could be completed after the Memorial Cup is awarded in the spring.

Oshawa could sell off vets to build the draft pick bank at this deadline to present during the bidding presentation. But they could also have in place, as part of the bid presentation, a conditional deal with Niagara that if Oshawa is awarded the bid, Harrison/Tomasino happens. Such a deal would be agreed upon but not publicized. It could be agreed upon at this deadline but wouldn’t happen until later.

Should there be an issue with Harrison and the no trade clause, Oshawa has enough 2nds in the bank to make it right.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
A Harrison/Tomasino deal could be completed after the Memorial Cup is awarded in the spring.

Oshawa could sell off vets to build the draft pick bank at this deadline to present during the bidding presentation. But they could also have in place, as part of the bid presentation, a conditional deal with Niagara that if Oshawa is awarded the bid, Harrison/Tomasino happens. Such a deal would be agreed upon but not publicized. It could be agreed upon at this deadline but wouldn’t happen until later.

Should there be an issue with Harrison and the no trade clause, Oshawa has enough 2nds in the bank to make it right.

Yeah I was just using that as an example. I don't see why they're waiting until so close to next season to decide. They should have announced who was hosting it before this year's deadline IMO. Gives the host 2 deadlines and an offseason to not embarrass the league and have themselves ready for the national stage next year

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah I was just using that as an example. I don't see why they're waiting until so close to next season to decide. They should have announced who was hosting it before this year's deadline IMO. Gives the host 2 deadlines and an offseason to not embarrass the league and have themselves ready for the national stage next year

Makes sense when you consider the frequency that hosts have embarrassed in the past.

Reactions: windsor7

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
according to my conversation with the Generals Business Manager @ yesterdays 67's vs the Generals game, said that the 2021 Memorial Cup host will be announced April.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Was talking to a pretty legit source about it last week and he said still the Generals are the only team who's showed interest to this point

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the Gens at this point. have their poster boy in Tomasino and a pretty quality supporting cast around him

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I read the Minto Cup is coming to St Catharines later this year has a round robin followed by a best of three final can the Memorial Cup do that.

Last edited:

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
I hope they get rid of the host team automatically getting in.

let the CHL team with the most points in the reg season get the birth, at least that has some merit.

Reactions: NOA

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

let the CHL team with the most points in the reg season get the birth, at least that has some merit.
I'm an ohl fan but if the host team is not automatically in I'm not going to pay the price of ticket to watch another team(s) just take for example when host teams don't play arena empty, and that's what it would be if host team are not automatically going to be in the memorial cup. Maybe they could do something like a best of 2 of 3 for the finals, just saying.

Reactions: rangersblues

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I'm an ohl fan but if the host team is not automatically in I'm not going to pay the price of ticket to watch another team(s) just take for example when host teams don't play arena empty, and that's what it would be if host team are not automatically going to be in the memorial cup. Maybe they could do something like a best of 2 of 3 for the finals, just saying.

I have to agree sadly to get the fan support a host seems to have to be playing especially in the OHL. Just to many options for folks to spend their entertainment bucks on. I will say for the most part the CHL does a good job of making sure the host team is at least competitive. Heck perhaps the last time a team was somewhat included when perhaps they were not worthy was London of all places. Hope Oshawa gets it they have built a team for it and it’s a great hockey city!

Reactions: Opinionated

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

So then who hosts it?

It takes a ton of planning to do a tournament like this. You can't just drop it on someone 2 weeks before the tournament and get anything but a disaster

To me a host is fine but you need to let them know like 2 years in advance so they can plan multiple trade deadlines and multiple drafts accordingly

Reactions: ohloutsider

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
So then who hosts it?

It takes a ton of planning to do a tournament like this. You can't just drop it on someone 2 weeks before the tournament and get anything but a disaster

To me a host is fine but you need to let them know like 2 years in advance so they can plan multiple trade deadlines and multiple drafts accordingly

Agreed I think the way it is now is fine 1 host city 3 league champions. The only thing I'd change would be instead of having 4 teams in the tournament have 6.

1 host city automatic plus the league champions of all three leagues plus conference champions from the other two leagues.

So the tournament would look like this in the OHL year.

OHL host
OHL western/eastern champions
QMJHL league champions and runner up
WHL league champions and runner up

This would show the best of all three league and then just expand the tournament format to include 2 extra teams. It would be no real drastic change to the tournament but gives those league who aren't hosting an equal chance of playing for the Memorial Cup and would give Sportsnet really an truly something to talk about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad