2021 Memorial Cup

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I know its still 2 years away but who do you see bidding to host the Memorial Cup in 2021?

With limited facilities that can host the tournament it really only leaves Hamilton, London, Ottawa, Kitchener, Soo, Windsor probably being in the top running.

Having said that both Windsor and London have since hosted it in recent years so it would be safer to say that Hamilton would be the place that would most likely be in the running for the bid as long as the Bulldogs stay in FirstOntario Centre by the time the OHL gets the bid.

And here's the reasoning why I'd say that they would choose Hamilton over all other cities.

1. The building's capacity is by far the largest across the league and would be suited for the media to setup all week.

2. By the time the OHL gets the bid the Bulldogs could probably be a contender in the league.

3. Since the league had recently allowed the Steel City to return to the league it would not make the league's image look good for a selling point to award a city a team that hadn't been in the league for decades and not consider them as a hosting a memorial cup.

Considering the selling angle the league could use to not just promote themselves but also show that junior hockey can be successful in a massive facility like FirstOntario Centre and considering that the last 2 times the OHL hosted a a memorial cup were in western conference cities (Windsor 2017, London 2014 and Mississauga 2011) it would only make sense that the league would consider anothe eastern conference city like Hamilton to host.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, any city that has hosted anytime post Y2K has no business being awarded this tournament period.

That means the likes of Guelph, London, Kitchener, Mississauga and Windsor, NEED NOT APPLY!!

Spread the damn tournament amongst the rest of the league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We are reasonably certain Oshawa is preparing a bid. They reconfigured their roster this deadline to present themselves next year as a team capable of winning.

Depending on what Ottawa does next year with their roster, they could potentially be a solid host.

London is always in the running. Great arena, solid city facilities, and always a strong team that can represent.

Kitchener is another solid franchise that can host.

Kingston would be very interesting but I’m not sure their management is strong enough. They did make some strong seller moves this deadline. If they can translate those assets into a contending team in two years, they could be interesting.

Hamilton won the championship last year so they have proven capable of icing a strong team. That season will be the 3rd from their Championship so it would line up with their competitive cycle provided they draft well.

Saginaw would be interesting. I’m not sure they would win based on amenities though.

Guelph and Sault have facilities capable of hosting. I doubt they will be in the mix though.

If I had to pick, I’d say Oshawa. They were close the last couple times and if they can prove they will have a strong roster, it should be there’s to lose. I don’t think Kingston would bid against them. They’ve got some sort of relationship behind the scenes. I doubt Ottawa will make the necessary moves to delay one year. The West has had it a lot lately. I think it is time to put it in the Eastern Conference so the nod for me goes to OShawa.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
As far as I'm concerned, any city that has hosted anytime post Y2K has no business being awarded this tournament period.

That means the likes of Guelph, London, Kitchener, Mississauga and Windsor, NEED NOT APPLY!!

Spread the damn tournament amongst the rest of the league.

At which point the financial guarantee drops dramatically. As long as the process is what it is they will never dictate who can and cannot bid.

My preference would be to eliminate the bidding process altogether and award the tournament to the previous seasons champion. Yes that means not rotating it between leagues. If the host does not make the conference finals then open it up to one of the four teams that does.... yes it creates some logistical headaches but I would imagine each host city would be able to work through them with the help of their local governments

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I really hope the Soo puts in a bid. They are building off a solid run of success over the last 7 years with two different GMs and 3 different coaching staffs. They have a solid young roster which they can build around for a contender in 2021. They haven't hosted in over 25 years. Their rink and facilities are amongst the top 20% in the league.

That being said, I really think it's Oshawa's bid to lose.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'd like to see Erie try and go for it, nice arena, downtown is being revitalized with plenty of hotels, huge shopping mall about 15 minutes away. 2021 could be a year they go for it as well, not sure they'd have the cash though and I'm curious about how open the CHL would be to having the Memorial Cup in America, as it hasn't been in the States since 1998 (Spokane, Washington).

Reactions: ottersguy

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
With limited facilities that can host the tournament it really only leaves Hamilton, London, Ottawa, Kitchener, Soo, Windsor probably being in the top running.

Having said that both Windsor and London have since hosted it in recent years so it would be safer to say that Hamilton would be the place that would most likely be in the running for the bid as long as the Bulldogs stay in FirstOntario Centre by the time the OHL gets the bid.

And here's the reasoning why I'd say that they would choose Hamilton over all other cities.

1. The building's capacity is by far the largest across the league and would be suited for the media to setup all week.

2. By the time the OHL gets the bid the Bulldogs could probably be a contender in the league.

3. Since the league had recently allowed the Steel City to return to the league it would not make the league's image look good for a selling point to award a city a team that hadn't been in the league for decades and not consider them as a hosting a memorial cup.

Considering the selling angle the league could use to not just promote themselves but also show that junior hockey can be successful in a massive facility like FirstOntario Centre and considering that the last 2 times the OHL hosted a a memorial cup were in western conference cities (Windsor 2017, London 2014 and Mississauga 2011) it would only make sense that the league would consider anothe eastern conference city like Hamilton to host.

The issue is that the OHL has rejected a bid from Hamilton citing the following concerns

1) Lack of a modern HD scoreboard
2) General condition of the building
3) Escalators being in need of repair

and most importantly

4) Lack of a dehumidification system which could lead to poor ice and fog on the ice.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great for the team, city and away fans (who I would assume would have a bit more of a pricing advantage, given the size of the building) and to be honest, apart from the dehumdification system potentially being an issue, I don't agree with the other items myself. Regardless though, I don't see the OHL going back on its earlier rejection until these issues are resolved. The concern right now is the city is reviewing the facility as we speak, because it has become a big tax burden and fundamentally, it's way to big for the Bulldogs day to day operations. That's not to say they won't attempt to renovate it, but I would hope that after the dust clears, the city replaces the lines for the 2019-2020 season and opts to build anew with Andlauer.

That I think would be the better idea for a 2021 bid. To say "Hey guys, come to our new facility" and that could be a selling point to get the city on board with a new arena for the Bulldogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'd like to see Erie try and go for it, nice arena, downtown is being revitalized with plenty of hotels, huge shopping mall about 15 minutes away. 2021 could be a year they go for it as well, not sure they'd have the cash though and I'm curious about how open the CHL would be to having the Memorial Cup in America, as it hasn't been in the States since 1998 (Spokane, Washington).

Yeah I think with the the fact that it hasn't happened in 20 years kind of makes it de facto that it won't happen in America. It's frustrating but I get it from a sponsorship standpoint. Saginaw put a bid in for the 08 cup. Might have been the last time an American OHL team even attempted to bid for it? Someone might be able to correct me on that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah I think with the the fact that it hasn't happened in 20 years kind of makes it de facto that it won't happen in America. It's frustrating but I get it from a sponsorship standpoint. Saginaw put a bid in for the 08 cup. Might have been the last time an American OHL team even attempted to bid for it? Someone might be able to correct me on that.

It’s part of the growth challenge. OHL in many American markets is very niche. I thinkSaginaw and Erie should both have the support. The question is whether the City amenities match the selection criteria. I am not familiar enough with either city to suggest either way.

That said, I would love to see it go to an American location. The growth of the game comes mostly from the United States now. It only makes sense to hold an event like that there. The exposure may be a good investment. We’ve had many discussion on these boards regarding potential locations etc. The issue is we are pretty much out of viable locations. For OHL hockey in Ontario and if truth be told, we probably have teams in locations that cannot or do not support it well as is. Looking at other American options is vital to the growth of the league. Managing to acquire talent that would otherwise end up int he American system is the key to future growth.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It’s part of the growth challenge. OHL in many American markets is very niche. I thinkSaginaw and Erie should both have the support. The question is whether the City amenities match the selection criteria. I am not familiar enough with either city to suggest either way.

That said, I would love to see it go to an American location. The growth of the game comes mostly from the United States now. It only makes sense to hold an event like that there. The exposure may be a good investment. We’ve had many discussion on these boards regarding potential locations etc. The issue is we are pretty much out of viable locations. For OHL hockey in Ontario and if truth be told, we probably have teams in locations that cannot or do not support it well as is. Looking at other American options is vital to the growth of the league. Managing to acquire talent that would otherwise end up int he American system is the key to future growth.
Been to Erie - nice city,nice building and nice fans. I can think of no reason why they should not be considered to host his event.
Also think Oshawa will be the host but hoping others like Kingston and Erie challenge them for that. Nothing better than some competion for the right to host. The league has to open their eyes and consider more venues. Not good when only one team bids.

Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
My preference would be to eliminate the bidding process altogether and award the tournament to the previous seasons champion. Yes that means not rotating it between leagues. If the host does not make the conference finals then open it up to one of the four teams that does.... yes it creates some logistical headaches but I would imagine each host city would be able to work through them with the help of their local governments
Logistically it's a nightmare. They used to do something similar logistically when they had the Super Series to determine the host. It still rotated, but host team was determined by top two teams in the host league getting a first round bye and instead playing a series to determine the host.

Not sure but I think they got rid of it partly because of logistics having not enough time to get everything set up because they didn't know the host until the beginning of April.

In your scenario they wouldn't know the host until mid April. Seems like not enough time to do it right.

Reactions: Otto

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
Niagara would be deserving (solid organization, high attendance records, new arena, good market with tourism ties)

BUT, they are going to be a bottom dweller for the next few seasons. Shame.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Logistically it's a nightmare. They used to do something similar logistically when they had the Super Series to determine the host. It still rotated, but host team was determined by top two teams in the host league getting a first round bye and instead playing a series to determine the host.

Not sure but I think they got rid of it partly because of logistics having not enough time to get everything set up because they didn't know the host until the beginning of April.

In your scenario they wouldn't know the host until mid April. Seems like not enough time to do it right.
You are right.. it didn't make sense when I typed it... I had to go back and search my posts to find my real plan.... here it is...

Here's a post I made a few years ago...... I have increased my salary demands....First off let me preface this by saying that I understand the league in it's present state will never,ever go for any of the ideas I am about to post. These are simply my ideas to bring Junior Hockey back to it's grass roots, ensure for better competition in, and a fair way of choosing the host for the Memorial Cup and ensuring any hint of bias is removed from day to day decisions..

1. So without further ado.. If elected CHL Commissioner:

1) The Memorial Cup format would be as follows: The three league champs get in PLUS the winner from the previous year which would be the host team. Hosts teams do not necessarily need to use their home arena and they would have until November 30th to submit their plan. If they don't feel they can successfully host then the right goes to the team that loses in the final. So all participating teams in the previous years cup would be wise to prepare their plans... YES this means it does not move around from league to league every year and it puts the onus on teams to be successful. In order for the Host team to PLAY in the Memorial Cup they must at least get to their respective conference finals.. so if you miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first two rounds .. yer out! At which point the loser of the league final gets in. Ticket packages do not go on sale for anyone until the Conference finalists have been decided. Again teams would be wise to have the correct infrastructure in place to deal with the ticket demand once the Conference Finals start

2) I would remove the financial guarantee Junior Clubs are expected to make.. but this format would return the memorial Cup to the grass roots of hockey.. thereby making it even MORE popular and growing the game

3) I would ensure that there was a separate commissioner for each CHL league.. removing any conflict of interest of having the CHL commissioner also overseeing one of its member leagues

4)I would also develop a competition committee made up of former players/officials/coaches to work in conjunction with the NHL and oversee prospective rules changes. These changes would mean that ALL leagues play under the SAME rules

5)As well there will be 1 disciplinary committee also made up of former players/officials/coaches that will oversee the discipline and hand down suspensions/fines for ALL three leagues.

6)ALL officials will be full time and be required to complete a rigorous training program in conjunction with the NHL officials. All officials will be paid as full time employees at a rate slightly lower than the starting NHL official.

7)My desired Salary is $80,000 per year plus travel allowance for my wife & I

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad