OT - NO POLITICS 2021 II - The Blahs of February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's crazy that a week or so ago, PrepMod was asking for all the background info for Gillette and Fenway in advance. They should have learned from Ticketmaster and know that you reserve a time, and give people 10 minutes to fill out all forms AFTER that.

Apparently, PrepMod COULD have done that but the Commonwealth declined the extra cost

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have many friends who are over 65 - some are very computer literate and others not so much.

Look - A vaccine rollout plan should have been incubated last spring when it became clear life as we knew it would not occur until there was a vaccine.

This has been an epic fail.

Let me expound on this and if anyone dares to say 'OK Boomer' :rolleyes:o_O

Back in the mid-'80s, personal computers were starting to pop up and I had a GF who had a DEC terminal at home because her engineering company needed her on call. Keep in mind 3 of the biggest computer companies in Massachusetts Digital, Data General and Wang saw no consumer use for their products :rolleyes:o_O

One day one of my bosses asked me to check a sequence on his computer as TV stations were starting to automate and when I sat down I saw this

cmdprompt.gif

:eek::eek::eek:

At that moment I knew I better learn as much as I could about these machines.

In TV the personal computer of the future was a brand 90% of you never heard of

Fast forward to today - The state website for vaccines was designed for mobile phones and not desktop/laptops.

My hometown of Cambridge has been horrific in its COVID response

The city sent out this email on Friday

WHAT'S NEW
COVID-19 Vaccine Update
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The CVS locations at 215 Alewife Brook Parkway and 624 Massachusetts Avenue in Central Square are listed by the State as sites offering the vaccine in Cambridge. If you're eligible, you can try to register to receive your vaccine at these locations, however, the State is reporting limited availability and asking residents to be patient as it may take several weeks to get an appointment. If you have tried scheduling your appointment online and need assistance, please call The Massachusetts Vaccine Scheduling Resource Line at 2-1-1 for help.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We need to do this better The vaccine should not be

s-l400.jpg

@Gee Wally

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m glad to hear you had a positive experience with gymnastics. No one in my family was ever involved, so I had no frame of reference, but I recently listened to the 30 for 30 podcast on the Karolis (might have spelled that wrong). It was honestly horrible to hear how these children were treated, and it wasn’t some long gone incident. Simone Biles spoke about the awful training conditions.
I was in recreational gymnastics just so I would stop flipping off my parents couches. After breaking my elbow doing said flip, my parents put me in a rec program at a gym and then I switched to classes at my dance studio which was all tumbling and no other equipment.

It may have only been rec classes but I was a daredevil and I'm fairly certain that it is the reason for my ankle injuries over time lol.

That 30 for 30 podcast was well done. The Karolyi's are straight up monsters and the reason things got the way they did. They were master manipulators who used past winners like Nadia and Mary Lou to lure girls in to their gym and then slowly groomed them and their parents to turn a blind eye that something may not be right. They kept on repeating this cycle and then after the 1996 Olympics USA gymnastics exploded and gyms filled up with girls who wanted to be the next Nadia, Mary Lou or Shannon Miller.

It is easy to look back on things and question why no one saw this coming but during this time in the country people had no reason not to trust people like doctors and coaches.

I pray that USAG continues to clean house and put in place guidelines that keeps kids healthy, happy and loving the sport.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I was in recreational gymnastics just so I would stop flipping off my parents couches. After breaking my elbow doing said flip, my parents put me in a rec program at a gym and then I switched to classes at my dance studio which was all tumbling and no other equipment.

It may have only been rec classes but I was a daredevil and I'm fairly certain that it is the reason for my ankle injuries over time lol.

That 30 for 30 podcast was well done. The Karolyi's are straight up monsters and the reason things got the way they did. They were master manipulators who used past winners like Nadia and Mary Lou to lure girls in to their gym and then slowly groomed them and their parents to turn a blind eye that something may not be right. They kept on repeating this cycle and then after the 1996 Olympics USA gymnastics exploded and gyms filled up with girls who wanted to be the next Nadia, Mary Lou or Shannon Miller.

It is easy to look back on things and question why no one saw this coming but during this time in the country people had no reason not to trust people like doctors and coaches.

I pray that USAG continues to clean house and put in place guidelines that keeps kids healthy, happy and loving the sport.

There's clearly a seamy underside to any elite high level kids sport, but it permeates gymnastics to an unprecedented level when the atrocities are compared to other sports. They need to start at the top and get rid of everyone involved because this acceptance of horrendous abuse is at all levels throughout USA Gymnastics. I agree that the Karolyi's are terrible and well known to be, but what does it say about the folks that allowed it to happen on their watch, all because of the desire to win? Those people are even worse, IMO.

Blow it all up, start over and maybe you can salvage it. Maybe.

Reactions: sarge88 and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
There's clearly a seamy underside to any elite high level kids sport, but it permeates gymnastics to an unprecedented level when the atrocities are compared to other sports. They need to start at the top and get rid of everyone involved because this acceptance of horrendous abuse is at all levels throughout USA Gymnastics. I agree that the Karolyi's are terrible and well known to be, but what does it say about the folks that allowed it to happen on their watch, all because of the desire to win? Those people are even worse, IMO.

Blow it all up, start over and maybe you can salvage it. Maybe.
There was a Senate investigation that was done and they are supposed to finally release the findings within the next month or 2.

The gymnasts want a full FBI investigation that also looks at the US Olympic committee so hopefully they get what they have been asking for.

The US Olympic Committee has always been about medals at any cost. It is absolutely sickening.

I can't go into it further without it drifting into the political arena.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I heard the second dose of both can make you feel really crappy but that it only lasts 12 hours and then you feel fine.

second dose is very very common to have chills, headache, very tired,etc....
Its normal. Means its doing what it should do.

Also for those under 50 it is perfect ‘practice’ for when you get 2 stage shingles vaccine.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
March 15. Much needed downtime in between.

And there sure is.

In my offer letter, under benefits, it listed "monthly beer stipend".

Might be my favorite benefit I've ever had!

Ha! Free beer? Are you guys hiring??? lol

I was going to say, if people don't factor in a little personal time in between gigs, they're doing life all wrong.

Reactions: Kate08

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
second dose is very very common to have chills, headache, very tired,etc....
Its normal. Means its doing what it should do.

Also for those under 50 it is perfect ‘practice’ for when you get 2 stage shingles vaccine.

Yup. My second dose was like clockwork.

Got the shot at 7am. By noon my arm was sore and I was getting tired.

by 6:00 my temp started creeping up. By 7:30 it got up to 101.4 and finally popped some tylenol. I had a shitty night of "sleep" - headache, chills, aches, weird sharp pains in my head (almost nerve-like). Woke up at 6:30am in a pool of sweat - the fever broke and other than some lingering headache/body aches and being veeeery tired, I was fine. I slept most of the day, and was right as rain the following day.

about 18 hours of discomfort, 12 of them being pretty miserable. Then it was over.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yup. My second dose was like clockwork.

Got the shot at 7am. By noon my arm was sore and I was getting tired.

by 6:00 my temp started creeping up. By 7:30 it got up to 101.4 and finally popped some tylenol. I had a shitty night of "sleep" - headache, chills, aches, weird sharp pains in my head (almost nerve-like). Woke up at 6:30am in a pool of sweat - the fever broke and other than some lingering headache/body aches and being veeeery tired, I was fine. I slept most of the day, and was right as rain the following day.

about 18 hours of discomfort, 12 of them being pretty miserable. Then it was over.

Sounds worse than actual Covid. Think I'll skip that.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Mom's fine after her second shot, not even soreness in her arm this time.

I've heard pretty consistent feedback that older folks tend to not have as many side effects as younger people. Makes sense since the "side effects" are really an immune response and younger people tend to have more robust immune systems. I've also noticed that more people who get the Moderna vaccine end up with the side effects. Very non-scientific and anecdotal observations.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad