OT - NO POLITICS 2021 II - The Blahs of February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
somebody told me you shouldnt take tylenol after second dose and just let the vaccine do its job. is that true? shes a nurse.

First, I’m no doctor. But typically you would take whatever fever reducer your doc would suggest.

After the shot.
COVID vaccine: OK to take Tylenol, Advil for side effects after shot

Are Pain Relievers OK for COVID Vaccine Side Effects?

Common questions about COVID-19 vaccinations answered

The vaccine is going to do its job regardless.

Just how much do you want to minimize your discomfort?
Thats what it boils down to.

But most recommended is to not take before your shot.

Last edited:

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
In G
First, I’m no doctor. But typically you would take whatever fever reducer your doc would suggest.

After the shot.
COVID vaccine: OK to take Tylenol, Advil for side effects after shot

Are Pain Relievers OK for COVID Vaccine Side Effects?

Common questions about COVID-19 vaccinations answered

The vaccine is going to do its job regardless.

Just how much do you want to minimize your discomfort?
Thats what it boils down to.

But most recommended is to not take before your shot.
In Gee Wally we trust....

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I am just happy that I have had one shot and the second one is scheduled and I don't have to play website roulette.

When I took my dad in to the Natick Mall last week,without even my prompting, they reassured us that scheduling his second shot would not be a refresh-athon, and it wasn't. However, the way they did it wasn't exactly best practice. If you're looking to ensure that people actually schedule (and hopefully come back) for their second shot at the correct time interval, you either schedule both appointments at the same time (I think Walgreens does this), or you schedule the second one at the location you get the first, before you leave. Just like how your primary care doctor should schedule your next visit as you leave.

To schedule the second appointment for my dad at the Natick Mall site, I had to wait just a little over 24 hours until I got a link texted to my smartphone - and I think I got an email, too. I mean, I didn't mind waiting, but I can easily see some problems. Some might be "too busy" to bother scheduling it when it comes in, forget to do it, or might not have easy access to a smartphone or email.

At least it was easy for me - but I'd prefer those second shots to be as close to automatic as possible for everyone.

somebody told me you shouldnt take tylenol after second dose and just let the vaccine do its job. is that true? shes a nurse.

Here's what I've heard:

Definitely don't it prophylatically - ie don't take it before the vaccine solely to prevent fever/aches/chills if you have no symptoms going in.

If you're on quasi-regular scheduled OTC pain relievers (ie for arthritis), it's okay to take what you normally would take, if you need it to function.

If you can tough it out, tough it out - the fever/chills is part of the immune response, and is one way you can tell it's working. Blunting it blunts the response. But if you're just absolutely a mess (particularly with the second dose), go ahead and take something. Tylenol's probably preferable to Advil, if you can stand it.

My dad was lucky enough not to have any side effects at all from his first dose. But he's 82, and it hits harder on the second shot, and hits younger folks harder. We'll see how I react to my UBI on Tuesday.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When I took my dad in to the Natick Mall last week,without even my prompting, they reassured us that scheduling his second shot would not be a refresh-athon, and it wasn't. However, the way they did it wasn't exactly best practice. If you're looking to ensure that people actually schedule (and hopefully come back) for their second shot at the correct time interval, you either schedule both appointments at the same time (I think Walgreens does this), or you schedule the second one at the location you get the first, before you leave. Just like how your primary care doctor should schedule your next visit as you leave.

To schedule the second appointment for my dad at the Natick Mall site, I had to wait just a little over 24 hours until I got a link texted to my smartphone - and I think I got an email, too. I mean, I didn't mind waiting, but I can easily see some problems. Some might be "too busy" to bother scheduling it when it comes in, forget to do it, or might not have easy access to a smartphone or email.

At least it was easy for me - but I'd prefer those second shots to be as close to automatic as possible for everyone.

They scheduled mine exactly 4 weeks apart and at the same time.

Traveling home today I was in Acela first class ( Thanks NBC ) and there were six passengers in the car on a Sunday afternoon train to Boston that normally would be packed. Manhattan last night was empty -

154112717_10223286604726103_1176970891836071535_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad