2021 Hot Seat/NCAA Coaching Carousel

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

3/4 options are horrid. I don't know much about McDaniel but Niners fans seem to want him to stay. I want nothing to do with Moore or Quinn and lmao imagine thinking Vance Joseph is a good hire after he got hired by Denver for running a mediocre defense under Adam Gase.

The worst part is Joseph isn't even a Rooney rule interview. Miami already interviewed Leslie Frazier and the Rams RB coach last weekend so that alone suggest they actually wanted to talk to him.

I'd rather take a chance on a new guy instead of all these retreads

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They only interviewed Mayo. Haven't hired him yet.

And for the Broncos sake i really hope they don't. Dude's never even been a coordinator yet.
I could deal with the hire as a DC.

Might be better for Mayo’s career. He has Patricia in front of him in NE and you have to figure Hoodie will favor his sons. It would also help get rid of the stigma of being a Belechick assistant were he to succeed outside of NE.

In Denver we’re worried Joe Ellis will leave one last turd on the doorstep.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing with Mayo is that he hasn’t even been coaching that long. The Patriots still have won 3 of the last 5 AFC championships and he wasn’t a coach for any of them. 2 years as a position coach and you’re in line for a head job? That doesn’t make an ounce of sense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The thing with Mayo is that he hasn’t even been coaching that long. The Patriots still have won 3 of the last 5 AFC championships and he wasn’t a coach for any of them. 2 years as a position coach and you’re in line for a head job? That doesn’t make an ounce of sense.
The Denver job is an odd one since the team is going to be sold since the Bowlen family can’t agree on who should run it (he has kids via 2 marriages) so who knows how long this coach has if he doesn’t have a good record before the purchase gets finalized.

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

It does make sense if you consider;

a) Teams constantly fall over themselves to hire a Belichick disciple. Brian Flores got a head coaching gig after a very similar path. 2 years as a linebacker coach and then was "defensive playcaller" in 2019 before getting the Dolphins job. Never once sniffed a more important role though he was around the Pats for a decade unlike Mayo. At this point grabbing coffee for Belichick means some team will probably at least interview you for a job.

b) Teams refuse to learn from others mistakes. The Belichick coaching tree is rotten and yet somehow it goes ignored and each team that is next in line goes "No, THIS guy is the one to break the trend!" Or if you're extra stupid, you hire a Belichick crony already fired and go "i can fix him!" like the Bears look like they're about to do with Brian Flores.

It's lunacy.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It does make sense if you consider;

a) Teams constantly fall over themselves to hire a Belichick disciple. Brian Flores got a head coaching gig after a very similar path. 2 years as a linebacker coach and then was "defensive playcaller" in 2019 before getting the Dolphins job. Never once sniffed a more important role though he was around the Pats for a decade unlike Mayo. At this point grabbing coffee for Belichick means some team will probably at least interview you for a job.

b) Teams refuse to learn from others mistakes. The Belichick coaching tree is rotten and yet somehow it goes ignored and each team that is next in line goes "No, THIS guy is the one to break the trend!" Or if you're extra stupid, you hire a Belichick crony already fired and go "i can fix him!" like the Bears look like they're about to do with Brian Flores.

It's lunacy.

Good thing Mike Vrabel is not from the Belicheck coaching tree.
Even though he played under Bill, he was not on his coaching staff.
Vrabel is doing quite well for himself.

Yeah, recent example was Joe Judge.
Guy was in over his head and he was TERRIBLE.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I was thinking about this the other day when they fired Maycock. Perfect timing for Harbaugh to come in and assume full control, bring in his own guy as GM.

I guess since theres a decent chance they'll get out of paying Gruden $50 million+ (or at least pay less than the full amount owed) they will have the money and leeway to give Harbaugh a mega deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There was some payout by the raiders but not the full amount left. That’s kind of why Gruden is suing the NFL, in addition to being ticked that he’s the fall guy for the Washington situation.

I do not see Gruden settling. Think he is ticked that his coaching career got ended.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Probably like one of the position coaches better and felt they were going to lose them.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seems absurd to fire a coach who's had D's as good as Martindale has had

This year he lost a bunch of starters so yeah they struggled but they were elite units during his tenure

Some team is going to get a great DC

Reactions: Babe Ruth

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Timmy Chang named Hawaii head coach.

Only the OG college football fans (or people actually old enough) will remember him. The record setter before Colt Brennan (RIP).
That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember he ended up in the CFL but I think he was mainly a backup there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems absurd to fire a coach who's had D's as good as Martindale has had

This year he lost a bunch of starters so yeah they struggled but they were elite units during his tenure

Some team is going to get a great DC
Either he started to clash with the HC Harbaugh or like GJK said, they are planning on promoting a Defensive position coach to DC, this move seems strange as the Defence loved the guy.

He comes off as a guy who is one of those great DC, but wouldn't be a great HC types. But, we'll see if he gets a shot with these vacancies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
As is tradition every time Sean Payton needs a new contract from the Saints, the NFL media is floating the idea of Payton going to the Cowboys. Payton's agent really earns his money by circulating this talk every few years.

Reactions: Tony Romo

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
As is tradition every time Sean Payton needs a new contract from the Saints, the NFL media is floating the idea of Payton going to the Cowboys. Payton's agent really earns his money by circulating this talk every few years.

Well, remember that Payton's agent is getting a big chunk of any raise or new deal Payton signs, so he really has a very strong incentive to do this.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
It seems that Jags are into Leftwich. I don't get why though. Doesn't strike me as a good choice.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not thrilled with names being discussed here in Chicago for most part

Hiring Frazier is exactly type of thing one would expect from McCaskey's

Yay for 85 Bears nonsense!

Also f*** off with idea of hiring Wolf

Poles is probably the only name on that list that is ok

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events