2021 Hot Seat/NCAA Coaching Carousel

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He obviously doesn't deliberately sabotage his assistants but it is possible that (since he is a control freak that runs the tightest of ships) his subordinates have learned that approach and try to implement a variant of it elsewhere, failing to realize that in today's game only Belichick really has the authority to pull that style off.
Be authentic. Don’t be a carbon copy of BB. You don’t have the clout or resume to do that.

seems like these NE guys think that’s the only way to do things. But, players see through that BS if you aren’t real. No one expects a McVay type attitude when guys come out of NE. Can be firm but most importantly be who you are not who you think you should be.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
That makes a lot more sense. Belichick internally boosting mediocre guys to send them over and wreck teams is a funny gag, but it makes much sense, especially when you know how hard it is to apparently get fired when he hires you (i.e., if you're in, it's a lot of hours, but you're in for the long haul). At any rate, again, this stuff is all jokes for us fans, but it'd be a silly for a team to look at a coaching tree spanning decades and thinking the lesser of an individual because of it.

If anything, it makes BB look even better. Given the lack of success his coaching tree has had it makes it even more clear how outrageously good a coach BB himself is.

Be authentic. Don’t be a carbon copy of BB. You don’t have the clout or resume to do that.

seems like these NE guys think that’s the only way to do things. But, players see through that BS if you aren’t real. No one expects a McVay type attitude when guys come out of NE. Can be firm but most importantly be who you are not who you think you should be.

Agreed.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Raiders getting ready to move on from Mayock.

I would stay away from NE people.

as for Mayock, unless he has emails or text messages or something to that extent that shows that Ferrell, Abrams, Arnette, Learherwood, Bowden, Muse we’re Grudens selections, he is going to be fighting for his job.

raiders just seemed to be off a year of when they needed to fill a need.

Wirfs was there when they took Ruggs only to take Leatherwood the following year. Arnette over drafted by a round.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I dont see how Ruggs is a negative for Mayock. He was well on his way to being a #1 WR this year when he threw away his life and career by driving drunk and killed innocent woman in process

He had also found several good players in draft and FA that allowed Raiders to get to this point

Also bringing in two BB disciples for posts is a kiss of death if it happens

When will teams learn about hiring people from BB tree?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dont see how Ruggs is a negative for Mayock. He was well on his way to being a #1 WR this year when he threw away his life and career by driving drunk and killed innocent woman in process

He had also found several good players in draft and FA that allowed Raiders to get to this point

Also bringing in two BB disciples for posts is a kiss of death if it happens

When will teams learn about hiring people from BB tree?
For me it’s when he took him. Raiders had the Bears pick like 7 spots later. Only Lamb and Jeudy went after Ruggs at WR. I believe that they could have had Wirfs with the Ruggs pick and then Ruggs with the Arnette pick. Other teams didn’t value Ruggs 4.28 time as much as the Raiders did. Juedy and Lamb the better overall WR. Obviously Jefferson has been the best since but at the draft those were the top 3 wR names.

Bowden and Muse their 3rd rounders that year never played a regular season snap for the Raiders.

Learherwood was brutal this year. Darrisaw whom the Vikings took later played well for Minny.

the 2 guys who had 2nd round grades that LV took in round 2 didn’t play like the raiders had hoped.

again, it’s whether or not those mistakes were his calls or Gruden’s.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Belichick can afford to run his organization like a dictator at this point. I don't think he wants to intentionally sabotage his assistants, but I also suspect he doesn't consider it any part of his job to mentor or teach his assistants. Whatever they pick up, they probably gotta pick up themselves.

I wonder if Belichick might be especially guarded about what knowledge he actually transfers given how the Mangini thing turned out (who was the closest thing to a real Belichick protege).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Belichick can afford to run his organization like a dictator at this point. I don't think he wants to intentionally sabotage his assistants, but I also suspect he doesn't consider it any part of his job to mentor or teach his assistants. Whatever they pick up, they probably gotta pick up themselves.

I wonder if Belichick might be especially guarded about what knowledge he actually transfers given how the Mangini thing turned out (who was the closest thing to a real Belichick protege).
Was it it reported that he told McDaniels to pass on the Indy job and if he did he’d let him in on some of his secrets?

BB is not a mentor type of coach.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Holy shit it's like no one in this league never learns.

Jerod Mayo has done f*** all at the coaching level. He got grandfathered into the Patriots staff as an inside linebacker coach. For all of three seasons thus far. I get he was pretty well respected as a player but come on.

But because he's a Belichick disciple right away the lemmings flock to the cliff edge to throw themselves off into hiring him. Have we not learned from the other 10 Belichick disciples that crashed and burned?

God it's infuriating. Joe Judge sucked. Brian Flores sucked at the people part of the job, Matt Patrica sucked, etc.

It's funny the only guy to have his career be impacted by Belichick and end up being a solid coach has been Vrabel thus far. The one former Patriot that never coached under him

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Holy shit it's like no one in this league never learns.

Jerod Mayo has done f*** all at the coaching level. He got grandfathered into the Patriots staff as an inside linebacker coach. For all of three seasons thus far. I get he was pretty well respected as a player but come on.

But because he's a Belichick disciple right away the lemmings flock to the cliff edge to throw themselves off into hiring him. Have we not learned from the other 10 Belichick disciples that crashed and burned?

God it's infuriating. Joe Judge sucked. Brian Flores sucked at the people part of the job, Matt Patrica sucked, etc.

It's funny the only guy to have his career be impacted by Belichick and end up being a solid coach has been Vrabel thus far. The one former Patriot that never coached under him
Nope. He coached under Crennel at Houston.

He knows how things are done the NE way when it comes to players but not among coaches. Probably better for him that way.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The entire league has been hiring Patriots braintrust and coaches for 15 years. No surprise that the league is full with them that they’re everywhere else wanting to hire the next generations

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Norton Jr. was a good guy in over his head. Good position coach (Bobby loves him) but he was a coordinator a year longer than he should have been--and that's not counting a bad stint with the Raiders.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not every position coach makes a good coordinator and not all great coordinators make great HC. Have to figure out who can handle being responsible for a larger group of people.

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not even sure how Norton got another DC job when his stint in Oakland was a very similar disaster as sigma said.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not even sure how Norton got another DC job when his stint in Oakland was a very similar disaster as sigma said.
He was with Carroll as LB coach. They had just parted way with Richard as their DC. It seemed odd to give Norton the DC role given his struggles with the raiders. Pete likes to stick with his guys on D. Bradley to Quinn to Richard to Norton. Don’t think there is an internal replacement this time around.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They only interviewed Mayo. Haven't hired him yet.

And for the Broncos sake i really hope they don't. Dude's never even been a coordinator yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad